Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what constitutes the "south"

MissU28

well, i've only been to Florida once (sad, since my dad has lived there for over 10 years)...and he lives in Newport Richey....right outside of Tampa. DEFINITELY not what I'd consider "the deep south". But Florida to me is 1) a lot of retired people....2)Miami- lots of Cubans 3) Disney World.... and 4) Key West.... none of which paint the picture of the south... the south to me is jumbalaya/okra/collard greens-eatin, sweet tea-havin, plantation folk

Hence...NOT texas

Most of northern Florida is more or less an extension of Georgia and Alabama culturally. Unfortunately the "Clan" is alive and well there. Central and South FL has an incredible amount of agriculture and are second in the nation in Cattle population/ranching. have you read either of these books, "Cross Creek", "The Yearling"? both were written by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings about Marion county FL. The Yearling was about a family she lived with , a mile from my lake property in the Ocala nat. forrest (Lake George,Salt Springs)

I have to disagree about arkansas. I live in North Louisiana and travel to Arkansas all the time. Arkansas is completely southern until you get close to the Missouri line then it changes pretty quick to a mix. I used to also live in Missouri and can assure you that it is in no way southern or have any southern culture. Also when I travel to Texas the line is just outside of Tyler when one poster said that when the pine trees stop that is where the culture stops for the south. That hit it right on the head. When you get to Tyler or around there it changes rapidly to the Texas culture.

Most of northern Florida is more or less an extension of Georgia and Alabama culturally. Unfortunately the "Clan" is alive and well there. Central and South FL has an incredible amount of agriculture and are second in the nation in Cattle population/ranching. have you read either of these books, "Cross Creek", "The Yearling"? both were written by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings about Marion county FL. The Yearling was about a family she lived with , a mile from my lake property in the Ocala nat. forrest (Lake George,Salt Springs)

I have traveled through a lot of FL. Fl is a little bit strange. In SC and GA most of the tourist attractions are the old southern plantations, FT Sumter, and the southern history. In FL their tourist attractions differ as you have Walt Disney, the Beaches etc. You have to go to an area that does not have a lot of tourist attractions to see the southern side of FL.

Virginia is not going to be considered southern a few years from now. The demagraphics are changing pretty quick, look at NoVa. There will always be those backwards places out in the country though.

Virginia is unique, and always has been. Unlike many states further to the south, its history and culture are defined by things other than the Civil War and slavery. It was for quite some time the largest colony/state, and played the largest role by far in the founding of the country. As such, it has deep ties to the federal government, which were only reluctantly severed when the Civil War came about. A lot of states, such as South Carolina, were gung ho about secession. Virginia was not.

The best example of what Virginia is about, not surprisingly, is George Washington. If you look at his views and approach to everything he did, it will go a long way to understanding Virginia. There has been an influx to certain areas of the state of people who are totally clueless, but I believe ultimately its history and culture are too deep to be quickly done away with by newcomers.

The intersection I-81 and I-66

Everything changes culturally from that point South, all the way to Miami

If you go to places in North Florida, you have some interesting folks you will run into

Ah the intersection of I-81 and I-66, in other words Strasburg!! we are the antithesis of the South!! However I think that much of West Virginia claims the south as well

Ah the intersection of I-81 and I-66, in other words Strasburg!! we are the antithesis of the South!! However I think that much of West Virginia claims the south as well

It's not about north and south anymore, it's the cities vs. everyone else. We all know that. There are large parts of New York outside the city that are barely distinguishable culturally from similar areas in Virginia, Texas and even California. Pennsylvania, Ohio, you name it. The areas from the suburbs in have a culture that is totally at odds with the culture from the suburbs out.

Another Virginian, Thomas Jefferson, had this to say about it:

"The mobs of the great cities add just so much to the support of pure government as sores do to the strength of the human body. It is the manners and spirit of a people which preserve a republic in vigor. A degeneracy in these is a canker which soon eats to the heart of its laws and constitution."

"I view great cities as pestilential to the morals, the health and the liberties of man. True, they nourish some of the elegant arts; but the useful ones can thrive elsewhere; and less perfection in the others, with more health, virtue and freedom, would be my choice."

Texas is in a world of their own....an odd, twisted, dilusional world (except you Blondie ;) )

I think THE south is below the Mason Dixon line of the 13 originals, and Florida, because well they are very south :laugh: .

Anything else becomes southwest.

Texas is in a world of their own....an odd, twisted, dilusional world (except you Blondie ;) )

I think THE south is below the Mason Dixon line of the 13 originals, and Florida, because well they are very south :laugh: .

Anything else becomes southwest.

No I disagree as Northern VA is just as it sounds the NORTH! There is not anything southern here!

I know you can't even get good sweet tea in NOVA

My own home brewed tea or Chick Fillet is the only place I know of with true southern tea and I will go out of my way to get it (I did just an hour ago).

Virginia is not going to be considered southern a few years from now. The demagraphics are changing pretty quick, look at NoVa. There will always be those backwards places out in the country though.

So Southern=Backwards?

If that's the case Maryland would be in the 'south.'

Its a weird thing the 'south' - i wouldn't consider Texas as part of the 'south,' but i would consider Tenn (hell, zoony says it all the time and he lives there) and Tenn. is pretty far north. I think it has a lot to do with loyalties during the Civil War.

Texas was with the Confederates, cant remember if there were some on both sides....

No I disagree as Northern VA is just as it sounds the NORTH! There is not anything southern here!

Virginia, Maryland and Delaware are often not called the South or North, but rather the Mid-Atlantic. I think that's an appropriate regional distinction.

I have an ongoing debate with this dude....

When someone says they're from the "south", or you talk about the "south" as a general term....where are you thinking about in your head?

THE south, to me, is Lousiana, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, etc.

This dude tells me that Texas is considered the South. Texas, in my opinion, is SouthWEST.... If someone told me they're from the south, I'd never guess they were from Texas...or even Florida. They're geographically south, but I wouldn't call them THE south.

What do you think, am I totally off here?

How can you not consider Florida "The South" ??

People who live in Florida or Georgia consider Texas the "west". The South stops at Louisiana and Tennessee. So the excludes V.A, Arkansas, Kentucky.

If you've ever lived in Florida you know that its just as "southern" as Alabama, Georgia, etc. It's not just Disney World and Palm Trees, its mostly moss and swamp! :laugh: If that aint "south" I dont know what is....

How can you not consider Florida "The South" ??

People who live in Florida or Georgia consider Texas the "west". The South stops at Louisiana and Tennessee. So the excludes V.A, Arkansas, Kentucky.

If you've ever lived in Florida you know that its just as "southern" as Alabama, Georgia, etc. It's not just Disney World and Palm Trees, its mostly moss and swamp! :laugh: If that aint "south" I dont know what is....

You forgot about gators! :laugh:

There's sweet tea, fried okra, waffle houses, etc in Oklahoma .. but it's not the south and neither is Texas. I go to OU and it seems like half my school comes from the dallas metroplex and while they may have a twang and a few of the same things it's a completely different mindset/culture. Being from Maryland I don't consider myself from the south but I'm confused as to how virginia is not .. NOVA I understand but Southern virginia is ... well ... special.

Archived