Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are drugs illegal???

Renegade7

Because people still can't operate vehicles safely when they are sober, much less under the influence of a controlled substance.

You know any cokeheads with a licence, let alone a car?

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/115/111967?src=RSS_PUBLIC

More Pot, More Deaths

In the study, published in the medical journal BMJ, researchers reviewed information on 10,748 drivers who were involved in fatal car crashes and took required tests for drugs and alcohol.

Twice as many drivers involved in fatal car accidents tested positive for marijuana compared with a group of other drivers.

Researchers say about 2.5% of the fatal crashes were attributable to marijuana compared with nearly 29% attributable to alcohol.

The study also showed that drivers who tested positive for marijuana were more than three times as likely to be responsible for the fatal car crash. Researchers say the likelihood of being at fault increased as the blood concentration of marijuana increased.

Would be interesting to see how many of those drivers had both alcohol and marijuana in there systems at the time of the accident. Do you blame it on the alcohol or the marijuana?

Can't say I know any cokeheads with a license, but wasn't there a pretty big problem concerning truck drivers and speed?

Weed should be legalized all the other ones. NAh they should be illegal.How is Bud worst than Budweiser? Alcohol and beer kill more people than weed.Weed just makes you unmotivated but if you have discipline you can overcome that.

I don't know what you said... :D

Would be interesting to see how many of those drivers had both alcohol and marijuana in there systems at the time of the accident. Do you blame it on the alcohol or the marijuana?

Can't say I know any cokeheads with a license, but wasn't there a pretty big problem concerning truck drivers and speed?

Now that you mention it, if I'm not mistaken the main reason for auto accidents is FATIGUE. :)

You mean that we as individuals should be solely responsible for what we put into our bodies? How dare you! We're not that intelligent or trustworthy. We need someone far wiser than us to tell us what we can and can't ingest/smoke/drink. I mean it's working so far, right? We don't have any drug problems in this country, right?

You know any cokeheads with a licence, let alone a car?

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/115/111967?src=RSS_PUBLIC

More Pot, More Deaths

In the study, published in the medical journal BMJ, researchers reviewed information on 10,748 drivers who were involved in fatal car crashes and took required tests for drugs and alcohol.

Twice as many drivers involved in fatal car accidents tested positive for marijuana compared with a group of other drivers.

Researchers say about 2.5% of the fatal crashes were attributable to marijuana compared with nearly 29% attributable to alcohol.

The study also showed that drivers who tested positive for marijuana were more than three times as likely to be responsible for the fatal car crash. Researchers say the likelihood of being at fault increased as the blood concentration of marijuana increased.

The problem is that MJ stays in your system for 30 days, and the people who were in the accident most likely were not on MJ at the time, but had used it in the past 30 days. MJ does slow reaction times, but it doesn't give you a god complex like alcohol.

All drugs should be legal, simple as that. Maybe if conservatives would stor worrying about protecting people from themselves we would be much better off. . .not to mention a lot richer as a country from the billions wasted on drug enforcement every year.

Power, is the reason drugs are illegal. Much easier to get elected with a tough on crime platform. Really it's that simple imho.

As for the study by the french, as its said, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.. To misquote some famous writer guy :=)

"Twice as many drivers involved in fatal car accidents tested positive for marijuana compared with a group of other drivers."

What does this other group consist of? Many people that smoke a lot of weed tend to be younger, under 25 as a guess. Was the "group of other drivers" all under 25? Hell I'm willing to bet any group of under 25 people are 2.5 times more likely to cause a fatal accident than any group of older drivers. Its really such a vague statement as to be meaningless.

Also what caused the other 68.5% of fatal accidents? Would like to see the breakdown for Cell Phones, Applying makeup, Swapping CD's etc. It's easier to just say More Pot, More deaths and use this as a slogan to gain Power.

I could go on and on, but there's no use really. This is an abortion type question, where everyone pretty much has decided and no amount of bickering, discussion, or debate will shift beliefs.

But whatever, drugs are illegal and crackheads, meth addicts, pill poppers, stoners and drunks already share the roads with us. More Scare tactics. Next election cycle just vote for the politician that promises to get tough on drugs. But remember that usually involves giving more power to the politicians while eroding your freedoms.

My :2cents: fwiw

All drugs should be legal, simple as that. Maybe if conservatives would stor worrying about protecting people from themselves we would be much better off. . .not to mention a lot richer as a country from the billions wasted on drug enforcement every year.

Yeah, everyone knows the DEA gets no funding when there is a Dem in the White house or Controlling congress. :rolleyes:

Power, is the reason drugs are illegal. Much easier to get elected with a tough on crime platform. Really it's that simple imho.

As for the study by the french, as its said, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.. To misquote some famous writer guy :=)

"Twice as many drivers involved in fatal car accidents tested positive for marijuana compared with a group of other drivers."

What does this other group consist of? Many people that smoke a lot of weed tend to be younger, under 25 as a guess. Was the "group of other drivers" all under 25? Hell I'm willing to bet any group of under 25 people are 2.5 times more likely to cause a fatal accident than any group of older drivers. Its really such a vague statement as to be meaningless.

Also what caused the other 68.5% of fatal accidents? Would like to see the breakdown for Cell Phones, Applying makeup, Swapping CD's etc. It's easier to just say More Pot, More deaths and use this as a slogan to gain Power.

I could go on and on, but there's no use really. This is an abortion type question, where everyone pretty much has decided and no amount of bickering, discussion, or debate will shift beliefs.

But whatever, drugs are illegal and crackheads, meth addicts, pill poppers, stoners and drunks already share the roads with us. More Scare tactics. Next election cycle just vote for the politician that promises to get tough on drugs. But remember that usually involves giving more power to the politicians while eroding your freedoms.

My :2cents: fwiw

Good post. Politicians know there are millions of old people and soccer moms who will vote for them just on their "tough on drugs" stance.

Do any of you honestly know anyone who would rush to buy drugs if they became legal? People who want to use drugs use them now, people who don't, don't. Legalizing would save us all a ton of money.

The problem is that MJ stays in your system for 30 days, and the people who were in the accident most likely were not on MJ at the time, but had used it in the past 30 days. MJ does slow reaction times, but it doesn't give you a god complex like alcohol.

good point.

All drugs should be legal, simple as that.

pot yes. not sure about some others.

Maybe if conservatives would stor worrying about protecting people from themselves we would be much better off. . .not to mention a lot richer as a country from the billions wasted on drug enforcement every year.

why is everything conservative/ liberal, repub./ democrat?

There are plenty of drugs that are legal only with a prescription, that is done because the medical benefit versus potential medical harm is judged to be worthy of monitoring. I probably wouldn't have a problem with making "drugs" legal with prescription, but all of them have the potential to do great long term and short term damage to the functioning of people in society.

It's sort of like asking why is suicide illegal... it harms nobody, but the critically insane or depressed. Drugs, of course, can have lots of spillover effects. Violence, loss of motor control, etc. and when you add that to long term medical issues... protecting people from themselves makes sense.

You know why drugs are illegal? Because some people out there can't handle their ****. If people could do drugs responsibly there would be no need to make them illegal - but unfortunately people feel the need to abuse them and get out of control. And the biggest misfortune in all of this is that marijuana gets lumped in with the others. :(

yeah, things like chemical dependency and addiction make it easier for people to be unable to handle their ****.

That's the problem of the person doing the drug, not mine. Anybody willing to put a drug in their system they know they can't handle deserves to suffer the concequences. No mercy, no quarter.

Anyone,and I mean ANYONE, who believes all drugs should be legalized should meet my Sister-in-law. The Heroin addicted Prostitute who only has 15% of her lung capacity left due to illness brought on by her lifestyle choices.

Very sad.

And I dont mean to come across as crass.

But how would changing the legal status of drugs changed the situation? They are illegal, and your sister in law still managed to abuse them.

Making them legal may have prevented it. Or it may not have. But it DEFINITELY would have made it safer to buy and been taxed to help pay for her treatment.

People abuse alcohol more than any other drug. But when we tried to make it illegal, it led to a huge rise in crime and violence associated with running illegal operations. Much the same way we see today with the drug trade.

I'm pretty hard headed about this. The way to handle your **** is not to do it in the first place. Once you cross the line where you decide you need drugs as a supplement to your life whether it's because you can't handle stress, don't know how to have fun and relax without chemicals, or whatever you are out of control. The chemicals rule you.

Maybe we're saying the same thing. I'm saying that brain chemistry and physiological changes/addictions takes you out of control of yourself. The person who takes drugs takes themselves out of control of their own life. So, the reason that people can't handle their **** is the reason that drugs are illegal. It's one of the effects of drugs. It's why cigarrette makers make their **** more and more addictive.

Not all drugs should be legal - the reason is simple, addiction. You can hit crack once and become an addict, same goes for heroin. These drugs can not be easily left behind once an addiction is strong enough and you could very well find yourself sucking down other drugs for the rest of your life just to help stay off of these. Those need to stay illegal.

Having said that the drug war is an obvious failure. Anyone that wants drugs can still easily gain access to them. Our courts are choked with drug related cases, jails filled with drug related convictions, and our society is plagued by the violence do to thugs having easy access to huge amount of money thanks to drugs. It makes no sense to continue casting this wide net - the drug war would better serve our nation if it was able to refocus on the harder stuff and not waste millions of dollars and man hours chasing down pot heads.

I personally do not do drugs and never will, they have nothing to offer me that is worth the legal and health risks.

The problem is, at this point, it's extremely hard to get the govt to give up the war on drugs, no matter how ineffective it is. You have entire government organizations that get billions of dollars a year in funding to fight this. Do you really think any of them are going to stand up and say, take away our funding, let's find a better way because this way isn't working? There's way too much power, money and face at stake for them to be able to do that.

Obviously, the drug war isn't working. For whatever reason, people like to get ****ed up, always have always will. To me, spend the drug war money on educational programs that help keep people away from drugs and on rehab programs for those who are users but not criminals. That's the biggest part to me, how can you honestly consider someone a criminal because of what they chose to put in their body?

Also, for the conservatives out there, isn't the drug war contrary to anti big government philosophy and doesn't it infringe on people's rights to make decisions regarding their own bodies? Doesn't it seem ridiculous to spend billions a year on this and never really make any progress?

I'm pretty hard headed about this. The way to handle your **** is not to do it in the first place. Once you cross the line where you decide you need drugs as a supplement to your life whether it's because you can't handle stress, don't know how to have fun and relax without chemicals, or whatever you are out of control. The chemicals rule you.

Maybe we're saying the same thing. I'm saying that brain chemistry and physiological changes/addictions takes you out of control of yourself. The person who takes drugs takes themselves out of control of their own life. So, the reason that people can't handle their **** is the reason that drugs are illegal. It's one of the effects of drugs. It's why cigarrette makers make their **** more and more addictive.

Yeah, i may have come off harsh - and thats really not how i meant it. Basically my point was - moderation is a wonderful thing.

Archived