Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are drugs illegal???

Renegade7

Youre kidding right? Ok, you got me, your comparison of current laws to the freeing of the slaves is an incredibly insightful and pertinent argument. If you are referring to that, then my work is done here.

I am telling you that legislated laws don't automatically make you deserve anything. Did the slave liberator deserve to be jailed for repeatedly doing something illegal? There is a parallel, if you can't see it try harder, its there.

People should really stick to the whole legal argument and stay away from destroying lives or what junkies look like. Alcoholism destroys a lot of lives in the United States. Furthermore just how many “daddy hit me” stories don’t start with “daddy came home drunk”. The same goes for spousal abuse. Ever seen the mess an alcoholic can make of their lives and their own bodies?

Let’s back up even further and move away from extreme examples. How often does anyone find themselves in a room full of sober people in which a fight breaks out? I’d say very rarely. How many bouncers does Border’s or Home Depot have at the door ready and waiting to toss out rowdy sober customers? Not a one. When people drink they are more likely to get violent, even if they aren’t addicted.

Thus my point, if folks want to argue that drinking is better then smoking pot because it’s legal and the user avoids getting in trouble with the law, I’m with that 100%. The law is the law and if you want to do what’s best for you, you’ll do your best to follow it. But leave it there because when the argument crosses over into the other stuff the American drug of choice isn’t all that pretty either.

In fact our favorite substance with which to overindulge is the very basis for the legalize drugs mentality. When they tried to make booze in all it’s glorious forms illegal criminals were handed a golden goose. Crime shot up because of this amazingly lucrative criminal enterprise. Just as gang violence currently plagues our streets and neighborhoods. You think Johnny Gangmember bought that Glock with money from his job at Blockbuster Video? Hell no. They are well armed and very well motivated because the law handed them the perfect vehicle for criminal fund raising.

Having said all this - I don't do any drugs and love beer. Oh the joy of beer!

And what about alcohol junkies? Are they not as important as weed junkies?

And that's why I'd like to know, how would you feel if alcohol prohibition came back? Would you feel that you were being denied the right to choose to be a responsible alcohol user because some abuse it? The only difference between you and me on this issue is that I happen to enjoy the illegal and you the legal one. Just think about how arbitrary it would seem if the govt took away your alcohol and cigs, both of which are far more hazardous than weed. Honestly, how what would your response to that be?

I was talking about crack, meth, or heroin junkies actually. If you bothered to read all of my posts, you'll see that i dont care one way or the other about pot. I think its pretty harmless, other than making people lazy, which of course, is their choice. If it were to be legalized, go ahead and smoke your brains out. But until it is, you are breaking the law, and if you get caught selling it, you go to jail. Period. So stop whining about "arbitrary laws." Just because YOU dont like them, doesnt make them "arbitrary."

Alcoholics arent doing anything illegal in and of itself. Right? Junkies are. Right? BUT if an alcoholic hurts someone while drunk they go to jail. Right? As they should. Alcohol dealers dont go to jail because its LEGAL. Right?

And the g'ment wont ever take away alcohol. Cigs probably, but they already tried alcohol. The nation wasnt having it. Maybe if potheads had the motivation to do something about it, you'd get your weed legalized. ;)

The only way to stop people from getting drunk is to not sell alcohol, and that'll never happen again. I know who I associate with and what they do, I don't just hang out with anyway. I'm not the social butterfly, that just doesn't work for me. I have too big a trust issue, I have trouble trusting people.

okay, fair enough, but if you're driving down a road or a highway to get home do you control everyone else who might be on the road and what they do to themselves? You can't control who you meet on the street or what they did to themselves. Therefore, what they do to themselves may impact you.

okay, fair enough, but if you're driving down a road or a highway to get home do you control everyone else who might be on the road and what they do to themselves? You can't control who you meet on the street or what they did to themselves. Therefore, what they do to themselves may impact you.

Based on that logic alcohol should be ten times more illegal than weed. My thought process being that drinking causes about ten times as much collateral damage.

I was talking about crack, meth, or heroin junkies actually. If you bothered to read all of my posts, you'll see that i dont care one way or the other about pot. I think its pretty harmless, other than making people lazy, which of course, is their choice. If it were to be legalized, go ahead and smoke your brains out. But until it is, you are breaking the law, and if you get caught selling it, you go to jail. Period. So stop whining about "arbitrary laws." Just because YOU dont like them, doesnt make them "arbitrary."

Alcoholics arent doing anything illegal in and of itself. Right? Junkies are. Right? BUT if an alcoholic hurts someone while drunk they go to jail. Right? As they should. Alcohol dealers dont go to jail because its LEGAL. Right?

And the g'ment wont ever take away alcohol. Cigs probably, but they already tried alcohol. The nation wasnt having it. Maybe if potheads had the motivation to do something about it, you'd get your weed legalized. ;)

Good points, sorry I misunderstood where you were coming from. You're second paragraph is where my point comes into play. I believe that junkies in general, just as alcoholics, aren't doing anything illegal in and of itself (or at least that's the way it should be). And just as with alcohol, if they hurt someone else they should be punished. I just don't understand the difference, why one wasted is ok and another isn't, I think the actions while wasted should be the thing punished, regardless of the substance, not the act of getting wasted.

Based on that logic alcohol should be ten times more illegal than weed. My thought process being that drinking causes about ten times as much collateral damage.

It probably should be or much better enforcement. What do you think about breathalizers at the entrance/exits of all bars? As you exit you puff and if your number is high enough... you win a taxi ride home.

someone tell me what good can come from making PCP legal?

Your question is not right. When something's lawfulness is in question, the appropriate question is: 'what good comes from making(keeping) it illegal?' We also should ask whether or not other tools are available to prevent/minimize abuse (for example: realization that choice A prevents me from making choice B). Political government coercion should, at best, ALWAYS be the last resort (and if you have to resort to political government coercion to prevent some action, the action may not be unlawful).

True, true. You can't control what other people do, that's life. Illegal or illegal I could get hit by a man driving high today and never post again, just like that. Doesn't matter, that's life. Now ya'll may not agree with my idea, I understand that, I'm radical, but in the end I still respect ya'll. This isn't an apology so don't get you're hopes up anybody, am just letting ya'll know that I don't hate anybody here and I'm going to continue saying stuff ya'll might not agree with. That's just how I am. :)

Why? I was just giving an example.

I was just re-stating that legalization of drugs is not supported by letting the biggest, baddest thief on the block have a cut of the revenue. Drugs should be legalized because there is harm in making them illegal and there are other methods to keep people from abusing drugs (for instance, I probably would be a weight on my family if I was an abuser and I'm not likely to be highly trusted in my community).

Good points, sorry I misunderstood where you were coming from. You're second paragraph is where my point comes into play. I believe that junkies in general, just as alcoholics, aren't doing anything illegal in and of itself (or at least that's the way it should be). And just as with alcohol, if they hurt someone else they should be punished. I just don't understand the difference, why one wasted is ok and another isn't, I think the actions while wasted should be the thing punished, regardless of the substance, not the act of getting wasted.

We are pretty much in agreement then. But here is why one wasted is ok, and another isnt.

People can enjoy alcohol responsibly, and for the most part, do. Ive been drinking for 10 years. Sometimes, I get really, REALLY wasted. Like falling down, dont remember the next day wasted. But ive never hit anyone with my car or gotten in a fight or hurt someone else.

Im not sure that its even POSSIBLE to enjoy smack responsibly. Crack? Meth? PCP? LSD? It may be possible, but its the exception, not the rule. So why make it legal? Thats like giving a 10 year old a loaded gun. Eventually, something bad IS going to happen. And it'll probably effect someone besides the user in a negative way.

Pot? Well, it can be enjoyed responsibly, which is why i dont have a problem legalizing it. But as of RIGHT NOW, its against the law. If you want to ignore the law, go ahead, but know that you are doing it at your own risk and consequences can be a mother****er.

We are pretty much in agreement then. But here is why one wasted is ok, and another isnt.

People can enjoy alcohol responsibly, and for the most part, do. Ive been drinking for 10 years. Sometimes, I get really, REALLY wasted. Like falling down, dont remember the next day wasted. But ive never hit anyone with my car or gotten in a fight or hurt someone else.

Im not sure that its even POSSIBLE to enjoy smack responsibly. Crack? Meth? PCP? LSD? It may be possible, but its the exception, not the rule. So why make it legal? Thats like giving a 10 year old a loaded gun. Eventually, something bad IS going to happen. And it'll probably effect someone besides the user in a negative way.

Pot? Well, it can be enjoyed responsibly, which is why i dont have a problem legalizing it. But as of RIGHT NOW, its against the law. If you want to ignore the law, go ahead, but know that you are doing it at your own risk and consequences can be a mother****er.

Cool, I see your point and I agree it's very rare to see those drugs used responsibly. As I said before, I don't think those drugs should be legal, I just think that use alone shouldn't be criminal. I'm definitely not advocating that you should be legally able to purchase those drugs at the local beer wine (and hopefully, weed) deli down the street.

Crack babies - not my babies, shouldn't be my problem. Babies with dissabilites is not uncommon, whether it be to alcohol, tobacco, or just not taking care of one's self healthwise.

In the safety of their own homes, people would only be harmful to themselves. You can't walk down the street drunk anymore then you'd be able to walk down the street high. If people want to stay in their homes and get high on whatever, that's their home, let them do it in privacy.

Anybody who doesn't love his or herself first can't possibly love anybody else. Karma exists, and those harming loved ones will be duely rewarded one way or another.

But it will be your problem. And every other taxpayers problem. I don't want to shoulder the finacial needs of a new crop of addicts so you can dope up sans legal impunity. I don't want to see healtcare costs rise. There's a big enough problem with affordable healthcare already, why add to the burden.

But it will be your problem. And every other taxpayers problem. I don't want to shoulder the finacial needs of a new crop of addicts so you can dope up sans legal impunity. I don't want to see healtcare costs rise. There's a big enough problem with affordable healthcare already, why add to the burden.

But you are already spending that money on cops and prisons and collateral crime losses that wouldn't be incurred if drugs weren't illegal.

Archived