Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

'South Park' Skewers Comedy Central for Muhammad Cartoon Ban

heyholetsgogrant

'South Park' Skewers Comedy Central for Muhammad Cartoon Ban

Thursday, April 13, 2006

NEW YORK — Banned by Comedy Central from showing an image of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, the creators of "South Park" skewered their own network for hypocrisy in the cartoon's most recent episode.

The comedy — in an episode aired during Holy Week for Christians — instead featured an image of Jesus Christ defecating on President Bush and the American flag.

In an elaborately constructed two-part episode of their Peabody Award-winning cartoon, "South Park" creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker intended to comment on the controversy created by a Danish newspaper's publishing of caricatures of Muhammad. Muslims consider any physical representation of their prophet to be blasphemous.

When the cartoons were reprinted in newspapers worldwide in January and February, it sparked a wave of protests primarily in Islamic countries.

Parker and Stone were angered when told by Comedy Central several weeks ago that they could not run an image of Muhammad, according to a person close to the show who didn't want to be identified because of the issue's sensitivity.

The network's decision was made over concerns for public safety, the person said.

Comedy Central said in a statement issued Thursday: "In light of recent world events, we feel we made the right decision." Its executives would not comment further.

As is often the case with Parker and Stone, they built "South Park" around the incident. In Wednesday's episode, the character Kyle is shown trying to persuade a Fox network executive to air an uncensored "Family Guy" even though it had an image of Muhammad.

"Either it's all OK, or none of it is," Kyle said. "Do the right thing."

The executive decides to strike a blow for free speech and agrees to show it. But at the point where Muhammad is to be seen, the screen is filled with the message: "Comedy Central has refused to broadcast an image of Muhammad on their network."

It is followed shortly by the images of Christ, Bush and the flag.

A frequent "South Park" critic, William Donohue of the anti-defamation group Catholic League, called on Parker and Stone to resign out of principle for being censored.

"The ultimate hypocrite is not Comedy Central — that's their decision not to show the image of Muhammad or not — it's Parker and Stone," he said. "Like little whores, they'll sit there and grab the bucks. They'll sit there and they'll whine and they'll take their shot at Jesus. That's their stock in trade."

Parker and Stone did not immediately respond to a request through a spokesman for comment.

It's the second run-in over religion in a few months for the satirists. Comedy Central refused to rerun a "South Park" episode that mocked Scientologists. Isaac Hayes, a Scientologist who voiced the Chef character on the show, resigned in protest over the episode.

"South Park" again got the last word last month with an episode where Chef was seemingly killed and mourned as a jolly guy whose brains were scrambled by the "Super Adventure Club," which turns its members into pedophiles.

Only last week, "South Park" won broadcasting's prestigious Peabody. Awards director Horace Newcomb said at the time that by its offensiveness, the show "reminds us of the need for being tolerant."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,191685,00.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

this should be an interesting debate :munchout:

-Grant

The network's decision was made over concerns for public safety, the person said.

Comedy Central said in a statement issued Thursday: "In light of recent world events, we feel we made the right decision." Its executives would not comment further.

Cowardice is contagious, it seems: http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151076

So should we all just surrender now? Who's going to make a stand?

This may seem strange coming from me, but I agree with not showing it. As they said in the episode itself, if one person dies so they can have their joke, is it enough?

When you look at the history of the cartoon violence, it wasn't until after the cartoons were mass reprinted in a show of solidarity with the creator did the Muslims get all violent and stupid. prior to that they had voiced displeasure over the cartoon's initial printings, but kept it peaceful, until as they see it, the other papers just rubbed their noses in it.

While i think it's crazy to riot over cartoons, why try to incite one for no other reason than to do it?

the freedom of speech also means the freedom to know when to not say anything. The fat lady knows she's fat,, no sense telling her and getting her all upset over it,, right? If all they want is to not have thei mage shown, why can't we just be big and say, OK, if that is so offensive that you'll actually riot over it, then we won't show it. Not out of fear of a riot,, but out of respect for something they obviously feel pretty strongly about.

~Bang

This may seem strange coming from me, but I agree with not showing it. As they said in the episode itself, if one person dies so they can have their joke, is it enough?

When you look at the history of the cartoon violence, it wasn't until after the cartoons were mass reprinted in a show of solidarity with the creator did the Muslims get all violent and stupid. prior to that they had voiced displeasure over the cartoon's initial printings, but kept it peaceful, until as they see it, the other papers just rubbed their noses in it.

While i think it's crazy to riot over cartoons, why try to incite one for no other reason than to do it?

the freedom of speech also means the freedom to know when to not say anything. The fat lady knows she's fat,, no sense telling her and getting her all upset over it,, right? If all they want is to not have thei mage shown, why can't we just be big and say, OK, if that is so offensive that you'll actually riot over it, then we won't show it. Not out of fear of a riot,, but out of respect for something they obviously feel pretty strongly about.

~Bang

On the other hand:

Freedom of speech is at stake here, don't you all see? If anything, we should all make cartoons of Mohammed and show the terrorists and the extremists that we are all united in the belief that every person has a right to say what they want. Look people, it's been really easy for us to stand up for free speech lately. For the past few decades, we haven't had to risk anything to defend it. One of those times is right now. And if we aren't willing to risk what we have now, then we just believe in free speech, but won't defend it.

Um, you and I seem to have a slightly different chronology on this event.

Show of hands: How many people on this board had even heard of "The Cartoons" before "the Muslims [got] all violent and stupid"?

So... Jesus crapping on the American flag is ok. Muhammad standing still is bad. Criticism of scientology (not a religion!) is bad. Making an image of Muhammad is blasphemous, but only if you are a muslim. The cartoons shown by the Dutch paper, some of those images were pretty vulgur, and people had a right to be upset. However, censoring an image that isn't really bashing Muhammad is not a big deal. Censoring out of fear from a backlash means you are only catering to the irate demands of those offended. Like they said in South Park "Either all of it is okay, or none of it is." Censoring, or giving special treatment, or easing up on a particular group is giving in. If you don't stand up to that pressure, then the offended group will walk all over you.

Also, anybody notice how that Donahue guy completely missed the point? He should be pissed at Comedy Central for banning an image of Muhammad standing still, yet in the same episode allows Jesus to be shown crapping all over the place. Donahue's real agenda is showing through. He is not about religion, more so about pleasing his constituents, IMO.

I just heard this also.

Too funny.

Its true. They'll let South Park rips of Christians and Jews for a decade, but Muslims aren't fair game?

I thought their Family Guy spoofs were really funny. I like that show and all, but they're dead on. there isn't much depth to it.

Did you know Optimus Prime is Jewish?

The issue here in not that Comedy Central did not show Muhammad. The issue is that there is now a different level of PC tolerance for certain religious figure. I am a Christian and I am not offended by South Park showing Jesus. I am offended that they showed the US flag being defacated on. I know that Matt and Trey were making a point by showing Jesus in this light, but that was distasteful. The US flag should never be desecrated...

And I've just thought of a "flip side" argument.

I've heard all of the people complaining that if the Muslims win, then you're creating a special group, where other religions can be made fun of, but not theirs. (And I agree with the reasoning that, in that case, the reason they will have this special privlege will be because their religion includes blowing things up.)

But then, the "flip side" argument occurs to me:

What's the difference between a TV network deciding that they won't show Mohamed because it would be offensive to a minority of their viewers, and the same network deciding that they won't allow "The N Word" to be used on their network because it would be offensive to a different minority?

Maybe the only way these decisions can be made is on a case-by-case basis, in which someone examines how important the scene in question is to the show, vs. how important it is to the network not to tick off part of their audience.

I watched that show once and thought it was equivalent to horse turds, IMO. Now its even lower after depicting Jesus that way.

I tell you what, religious folks can only take so much of these types of outright disrespect before some weaker brother loses it and snaps. :(

Personally I just ususally ignore it, or turn the channel and never watch that show again. Ever.

Archived