Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Norv Turner Years

SkinsNoles21

I just want to say that I am extremely greatful that Joe Gibbs is at the helm and not Norv Turner. The difference between our coaching staff now and our coaching staff of before..Norv and Spurrier..is a complete 180. People may feel as though we are overconfident about our team, but that is because we finally can be. Joe Gibbs will back up all this talk of success. Norv Turner however has no idea how to do that. Our free agent signings of now, compared to then, are also completely different. For people to compare the two to me are obsurd. Today we are signing young talent free agents, compared to then, when it was big name playes who the game had passed by. Before I would say that the Redskins were going to be good with doubt in my voice, now i say it confidently and proud.

Norv was a turd plain and simple - he could not discipline players (as he proved in Oakland) and he could not manage the team. He had the mind for it because our offense was still pretty good when he was here but we lost every big game there was (except when Larry Centers was here).

Plain and simple - he sucked!!!! :mad: :(:rolleyes:

I "worked" for the 'Skins' scouting department during training camps as a teenager. I was there for Gibbs' last year, Pettibone's fiasco, and Norv's first two years. I roomed with Norv's son Scott. He was a nice man, but you could tell there was a serious difference between the way the players were around Gibbs and the way the players were around Norv. For example...you could watch a group of players talking outside fo the dorms. Joe Gibbs would walk by, and the players would stand up straight, get quiet, and politely say, "Hey Coach". With Norv...most of the time they wouldn't even stop talking.

He just never commanded the kind of respect nor fostered the kind of community that Gibbs did. I did not witness this first hand, but it was widely accepted that Norv didn't try to adjust. He felt ****y enough that his schemes were going to work. The locker room during half-times were very quiet...players listening to walkmans, etc. The stories of Gibbs and throwing bags of oranges were legendary.

But there really is no means to compare Gibbs to Turner, except to say one is a very good coach, and the other is a mediocre / poor coach. Of course, you really can't blame Turner on Snyder either - he was inherited.

The only mistake Mr Cooke made WAS HIRING THAT COW$H1T by then he was a sickly senile old man. As stupid and incompetent as Norv was he could BS an old man but, he could not BS the greatest fans in the league. Norv (what we do works) Turner was this franchises worst 8 years. He is not even a half decent offensive coordinator.

The only mistake Mr Cooke made WAS HIRING THAT COW$H1T by then he was a sickly senile old man. As stupid and incompetent as Norv was he could BS an old man but, he could not BS the greatest fans in the league. Norv (what we do works) Turner was this franchises worst 8 years. He is not even a half decent offensive coordinator.

I disagree, he is a very good offensive coordinator but a terrible head coach. He can scheme well he just can't command his players the way a leader needs to be able to.

I still say that the losses to the brokebackers under Turner shouldn't count. I mean, the guy had a losing record vs the cardinals!!!!!

And Turner was a good strategist. He could come up with a good game plan. But he was a terrible tactician. When it came to making adjustments he was/is utterly inept.

The only mistake Mr Cooke made WAS HIRING THAT COW$H1T by then he was a sickly senile old man.

It didn't work out and Norv did ultimately proved to be a poor head coach, but it was not a mistake by Cooke to hire him. Norv was a white hot canidate at the time and interviewed well, he would have gotten a job with somebody if not us. The only mistake the Skins made was not firing him after the 1998 season and he survived that thanks to the ownership situation.

Norv (what we do works) Turner was this franchises worst 8 years.

I think there are some old time fans from the late 40's through 1970 that would disagree with you on that one.

He is not even a half decent offensive coordinator.

He's an excellent offensive coordinator. I had no problem with Norv's offensive philosophy with the Skins. What doomed us was a serious lack of talent on both sides of the ball (thank you Charlie Casserly), lack of toughness and inferior coaching on the defensive side of the ball.

If not for the hiring of Al Saunders, I would not have minded in the least if we brought Norv Turner back to be our offensive coordinator. I watch some games from the Norv years from time to time (glutton for punishment) and to this day, I'm impressed with what he was doing with our offense. He just didn't have the horses to make it completely click and in crunch time his teams usually choked except on rare occassions.

Jack Kent Cooke had a hard on for Norv. He was the only candidate in Jan 94. Biggest mistake. If Jack wouldn't interviewed some more people- he had the time since Dallas was on a superbowl run that January; I think he would've found a better candidate. History would've been different.

The Turner years were very hard on me. It was tough because I grew up knowing a team that was always prepared and played fundamentally sound football, but that all went out the door with Turner. There was no defense or special teams. The team would repeatedly commit costly turnovers and penalties. (case in point was the Stephen Davis fumble at the end of a tough Monday Nighter against Dallas, that game was wrapped, all the team has to do is grind out 3 plays let the clock run and punt away for the win. BUT!!!! Davis lays it on the ground and Dallas drives for the win.)

Under Turner it always like that, never hot, never cold, always lukewarm. Very tough to deal with because I grew up with a team that was always in the game.

Look on the bright side, we saw the glory and power of the franchise under JG1, got spoiled and were taught a lesson through the 90's with NT,etc. A little humility now and then is a good thing, sometimes being a gracious winner can be more difficult than being a good sport when you lose. Might not hurt to keep that in mind in the years ahead.

He's an excellent offensive coordinator. I had no problem with Norv's offensive philosophy with the Skins. What doomed us was a serious lack of talent on both sides of the ball (thank you Charlie Casserly), lack of toughness and inferior coaching on the defensive side of the ball.

Norv's offensive philosophy? What Norv did worked for about the first two or three drives in a game. After that? Defenses adjust to what you are doing to them. Unless you attack the defensive adjustments, in the NFL you're doomed.

The NFL is like chess. Its strategy, gameplanning, attack and counter attack. Norv knew the rules of the game. He knew how the pieces moved. His first few moves were often excellent and aggressive. He was just too ignorant to take into account what the opponent did.

Norv had the talent to win. He had the offensive mind to be successful. He just couldn't mix the two with motivating his players and getting them to believe. Norv was a whiner, and he made excuses for losing; his players merely followed his lead.

It was a horrid situation that lasted at least two years longer than it should have.The franchise lost alot of respect league-wide when he was at the helm.We're getting some of it back,but still not at the 80's levels.

Steve Spurrier isn't nearly as bad as N##v.

At least Spurrier realized he was crap and said I QUIT! N##v is still saying that Danny never gave him a chance.

At least Spurrier's teams were always crap. He never had the 7-1, 6-2 or 8-3 starts only to implode at the end.

And at least Spurrier provides something we can all chuckle and laugh about now. Those N##v years are still too painful for most Redskins fans to even speak of.

I mean, I heard the request about not mentioning his name, and I kinda agree because just the word N##v just brings sadness to everyone in DC. It should be banned just like the other cursed words are.

I knew things might be bad when in 1996 I saw Norv yelling at Ron Lynn during a game against Philly and Ron was yelling back...it was actually semi-entertaining.

Although I do give him credit for one thing if he had been fired sooner then a near disaster might've occured...Casserly wanted to draft Ricky Williams real bad...Norv believed that we had a solid RB in Stephen Davis and wanted to draft Champ Bailey. The rest is history....

Other than that...it's time to move on...Norv is gone and Spurrier is at best a forgotten footnote to Redskins History. Thankfully we have an awesome head coach and a great coaching staff to support him.

Archived