Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Expanding playoff field to 14 teams?

FunBunch7

My question to everyone is, had we not made the playoffs last season, how many of you would have different opinions on this?

In 1996 we went 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

In 1997 we went 8-7-1 and missed the playoffs.

In 2001, after starting 0-5, we went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

All of those teams would have made it in with a 14 team playoff system.

I still think it's a bad idea. None of those teams deserved it.

I disagree with expanding the playoff field. Going to 14 teams would mean that an 8-8 team getting in would be more of the rule than the exception. And once they agree to put 14 in, it'd be only a matter of time before some clubs would be clamoring to let 16 in! Where do you stop?

The playoff field shouldnt be expanded. I dont want the NFL turning into the NBA where if u finish at .500 u get in. In the NFL if u make the playoffs and lose in the first round, u have had a successful season, while in the NBa u can go one and done and have a very marginal season.

What's wrong with 8-8 teams getting in? The have very little chance of beating a 13-3 or 12-4 team in the first round. It would at least give the team and fans a feeling of accomplishment that they made the post season.

If it can happen for George Mason it can happen to any NFL team that gets hot at the end of the season. Keep the format the same.

Carl Peterson is the one who came up with this idea. He whining because the Chiefs went 10-6 and missed the playoffs. Well If the Chiefs defense knew how to tackle and play well down the strecth then this playoffs expanding mess would not of came up.

Sorry, but I will like it.

It's OK with me too. I like the idea of ONLY the top seeders in each conference getting a week off with home field throughout.

If we did 12 with 28 in the past without noticing, what's 2 more with 32?

Even with 12, you could still get 8-8 teams making it.

:munchout:

if anyone saw the 8-8 Rams or Vikings in the playoffs a couple of years ago, I don't think we want to see 14 or 16 teams in the postseason going forward :)

the last thing to emulate is the NHL where all but the worst of the worst fail to make the postseason and you see mediocre playoff action.

I know I will be a minority on this,but there should absolutely be 7 teams per conference to get in to postseason...

As it stands there is very little differnce in being a 1,2 or 3 seed in the playoffs...The 2 seed gets a bye along with the 1...and homefield throughout unless they matchup with the 1...

The 3 seed has to play the first round,but it is against the worst wildcard team (6)

Why should a 12-5 team get a bye along with a 13-2 team...Thats Stupid!!

It also gives more incentive for a team to play their starters for the whole 16 games rather than pulling them for the last 3 cause they got it all sowed up....(see Colts)

Had there been 7 teams last year,do you think the Colts would have pulled Manning in like week 14 with Denver and the Bengals on their tail...

A team like the Colts or any team with the best overall conference record SHOULD be rewarded for their season and given a the ONLY 1st round bye and HFA throughout the playoffs...

And how about the Chiefs and Dolphins and the Chargers who all had winning records...and not go....Your telling me that not 1 of them was a playoff caliber team?

If I recall,I think the chiefs would have been the 7th seed...

And how many times have we (Resdkins)missed the playoffs because we were 1 team playoff spot short too go??

I do agree that 8 would be to many,but 7 is perfect!

And this would have been last years Playoff matchups had it been 7....

1)Seattle draws bye and HFA throughout

2)Chicago plays 7th seed Minnesota (I believe?)

3)Carolina plays 6th seed T.B>

4)Giants plays 5th seed Redskins

Redskins shut out Giants and play winner of ...

However,with a 6th and 7th seed we would have 2 teams below us and a possible chance of playing at home in NFC Championship game between Minny or the Bucs...If they were to advance that far..

I hope this 7 team per Conf. happens..

What's wrong with 8-8 teams getting in? The have very little chance of beating a 13-3 or 12-4 team in the first round. It would at least give the team and fans a feeling of accomplishment that they made the post season.

I don't see how anyone would feel accomplished with a losing record. Playoffs are for the best teams only, so if you go 8-8, to bad. That's my opinion, I'm sticking to it.

It would devalue the accomplishment of making the playoffs that currently exists.

How did you feel this year simply returning to the playoffs? This is because you and I know that you either win the division, or are 1 of 2 that get in by being better than the rest.

Archived