Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Expanding playoff field to 14 teams?

FunBunch7

Michael 33. Your suggestion for 7 teams per conference doesn't work. You failed to elaborate past the first round at which point you would realize that you are left with five teams, which is an odd #. One team would have a 2 round bye or you would have to create some ridiculous system. It is best to use multiples of two such as 2,4,6 or 8 because they have unilateral results.

We don't need to make the NFL better.

Michael 33. Your suggestion for 7 teams per conference doesn't work. You failed to elaborate past the first round at which point you would realize that you are left with five teams, which is an odd #. One team would have a 2 round bye or you would have to create some ridiculous system. It is best to use multiples of two such as 2,4,6 or 8 because they have unilateral results.

If you play one game at 1pm, the other at 4pm and one at night on Saturday for one conference*, and the same on Sunday for another*.... you'd have 3 teams for each conference + the 1 bye = 4 for the next week.

*or they can split it up somehow

On NFL.com one of the poll questions is what the most interresting topic at the owner meetings is. So far the 2nd place vote is expanding the playoffs.

The proposal that makes the most sense is going to 7 teams in each conference. The #1 seed would get the bye and home field advantage...#2 would host #7...#3 would host #6....and #4 would host #5.

I for one would love this! Having an extra team make the playoffs in each conference would keep quite a few more teams alive in December. I think going to 8 teams in each conference would be too drastic though.

There have been a number of times when the Skins were the team on the outside looking in...1985, 1989, 1996.

Mnay will say that it is too much of an advantage being the #1 seed...don't tell that to the Steelers fans though as they watched their team win 3 on the road en route to the Super Bowl Championship.

12 out of 32 teams is very difficult! 14 out of 32 would be fine IMO. Thoughts?

not gonna happen. there are not the votes for it inthe committee.. besides, the last thing the nfl wants to resemble is the nba...

I disagree with expanding the playoff field. Going to 14 teams would mean that an 8-8 team getting in would be more of the rule than the exception. And once they agree to put 14 in, it'd be only a matter of time before some clubs would be clamoring to let 16 in! Where do you stop?

This is the only reason I have a doubt about it, otherwise I would support letting in 7 from each.

i dont think that the playoff format is "broken" at the moment, so id certainly rather it not get "fixed". I know people have said that we have missed the playoffs a few times by such narrow margins, but in fairness, having more teams in it would in fact weaken the quality of teams involved. Id rather appreciate how well we played this year (making the playoffs) than complain like in previous years that weve missed by one game etc.

Archived