Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The vibe in Pittsburgh regarding Randel El

Jaron

I just thought that I would clue everyone in on the feelings around the Burgh on Randel El no longer being a Steeler.

The Steeler fans all feel that we paid WAY too much for him. Many are quoting the "$1 million dollars per catch" line that one of the mediots (Pastabelly I believe) wrote after we signed him. Most of the fans are sorry to see him go though. He was really liked in this city.

The local media that I've seen/heard is pulling the usual 'tearing down of former Pittsburgh athletes that leave' routine that they always do. According to them, Randel El is an average special teams player, and nothing more than a mediocre receiver. None of them seem to grasp the fact that there weren't many passing stats to go around in the run first, second and third offense of the Steelers.

Now I don't believe that Randel El is going to be the next Jerry Rice in our offense, but I do think that he will blossom a la Santana last year. It's refreshing to see how popular Randel El was, not only as a player but also as a person, in this city; I definately think that he is going to become a fan favorite in Washington.

Hail!

I just thought that I would clue everyone in on the feelings around the Burgh on Randel El no longer being a Steeler.

The Steeler fans all feel that we paid WAY too much for him. Many are quoting the "$1 million dollars per catch" line that one of the mediots (Pastabelly I believe) wrote after we signed him. Most of the fans are sorry to see him go though. He was really liked in this city.

The local media that I've seen/heard is pulling the usual 'tearing down of former Pittsburgh athletes that leave' routine that they always do. According to them, Randel El is an average special teams player, and nothing more than a mediocre receiver. None of them seem to grasp the fact that there weren't many passing stats to go around in the run first, second and third offense of the Steelers.

Now I don't believe that Randel El is going to be the next Jerry Rice in our offense, but I do think that he will blossom a la Santana last year. It's refreshing to see how popular Randel El was, not only as a player but also as a person, in this city; I definately think that he is going to become a fan favorite in Washington.

Hail!

Thanks for sharing man - interesting to hear how his former city is reacting to his departure. Lets face it - thats classic NFL-fandom at its best. All you have to do is look at how we responded to Bailey, Smoot, Pierce, and Arrington leaving. Its always bitter sweet.

Thanks for sharing man - interesting to hear how his former city is reacting to his departure. Lets face it - thats classic NFL-fandom at its best. All you have to do is look at how we responded to Bailey, Smoot, Pierce, and Arrington leaving. Its always bitter sweet.

Yeah, but those guys really DID suck.

And Randle El is the bomb.

:)

A good friend of mine is a Steelers fan (youth pastor at Roethlisbergers church in Findlay. OH as a matter of fact) and he emailed me today ticked off that the Skins got him. He is upset because he doesn't know where they will replace the talent the Steelers have lost.

Dude... Your sig absolutely rocks. I think we should all chip in and put it as a full page ad in Sports Illustrated next year!!! :cheers:

I like how none of the other teams' fans (and our own) seem to realize we have a HOF Head Coach who would have never allowed El that much money had he not felt he was worth it. We know Clark could produce, but we refused to overpay him, same probably goes for Royal. I'll put my faith in Gibbs. Thanks.

The thing is, none of the fans that I have heard have been criticizing Randel El, like many of us on this site do when a Redskin moves on. They have nothing but praise for him. It's the media in this city thats guilty of tearing the players down. Obviously, I'm not around the D.C area, so I don't get to hear the sports talk shows or local news broadcasts when a Redskins leaves. Do those media outlets act the same way in Washington??

The Pittsburgh media ALWAYS does it though. Like when Jagr left the Penguins, according to the media, he was terrible. He rode Lemieux's coattails his entire career in Pittsburgh, etc. They won't admit that he was a good player while he was in the city of Pittsburgh. Is it the same way in Washington?

I personally think we paid too much $$ for him also but I bet Gibbs and Saunders will find way's for him to more than earn his money. Versatile is the key word here. How many players in the league can catch, run, return kicks and punts and in a pinch be our 4th QB? I believe our offense will blow up this year. Looks like Gibbs is ready for another trophy in the case, or two. Look at the age of these guys were signing, none of them are old or almost washed up. All of them are young and on the upside's of their careers. Look out NFL!

Here's the deal, the Steelers opened of the offense the last quarter of the season and a lot during the playoffs. I mean they passed like seven straight plays during the Colts game. They realized that run first mentality was not going to beat teams like the Colts and Denver -- and they went to the Super Bowl.

El played significant roles in two of their playoff games throwing passes both against the Bengals and in the Super Bowl. Here was a guy on a run first team. It will be a bit different in this setting.

My point, it was until the Steelers opened up their offense did they do big things. Well, you know our offense will be opened up this upcoming year. Randel never felt he has truly been used right. He could be a considerable weapon. A true slash -- only better.

Today, while at work. I busted on my friend who is a HUGE Pittsburgh fan.

I hit him up on his work phone, when I knew there was plenty of people standing around, and said "Hey Man, on behalf of the fans of the Washington Redskins, I would like to thank you very much for Randel El! Thank you very much indeed!"

The response I got was something to the effect of " **** YOU!! " and then a disgruntled incoherent mumble. :laugh:

He is not a happy camper. :)

The skins pay the players what they will be worth to the team in the future not what they were worth in the past....with the coaching staff we have I can see all three WR we have just signed going to the PB over the next three years, this team is going to be very hard to beat, we now have the weapons to score often.

Hail all things redskins

As a long term Steelers fan (since the late 60's) all I can say is losing "EL" is typical of the way the Steelers do business. They are committed to paying only so much for a position and will very rarely go after or retain a player wanting big money. They figure they have a proven team system and to start throwing money at player demands ends up disrupting the "team" mentality.

EL is a good player, no doubt and a certified playmaker, but the Steelers are willing to let him walk and hope to bring up younger players or recoup the loss in the draft. The Steelers tend to be more focused on bringing in young moldable players from the draft and paying only average prices for the retention of current players. The thought may be, "listen do you want more money or want to play on a proven championship team and top flight organization?"

As far as replacing EL....well, we had a QB/Receiver in Kordell Stewart and many were concerned when he left. The deal is the Steelers will probably recruit another fast, mobile QB in hopes he develops into a special teams/gadget player. Don't be surprised if they recruit that QB Reggie McNeal out of Texas A&M who seems to fit the bill.

As far as Randel El's nick name, many Steeler fans called him "El" or "Randel El" and only yelled out "ARE" (Arrrrgghh) when he reversed field on punt or kickoff returns and then ran backwards to be tackled for a loss. He did that a lot early in his pro career, but seems to have been straighten out about which way to run for yards...namely forward.

Good luck "Skins" you have a definite playmaker in "El."

Archived