Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The vibe in Pittsburgh regarding Randel El

Jaron

Thanks for sharing man - interesting to hear how his former city is reacting to his departure. Lets face it - thats classic NFL-fandom at its best. All you have to do is look at how we responded to Bailey, Smoot, Pierce, and Arrington leaving. Its always bitter sweet.

Except Smoot always sucked and Pierce is a traitor (div rival) for marginal increase.

I think everyone admits Bailey is a top guys. Until Portis started kickin ass I think most people thought we gave up too much to get him...

not any more... :)

No doubt a terrific special teams player...but not worth more than #1 receiver. Like I said the Steelers organization has fairly strict player compensation guidelines and Randel El did not "rate" as high as a player like Ward. This doesn't always make Steeler fans happy, but it has been this way for a long time and with 5 Super Bowl rings to show for it, the guys in charge must be doing something right.

No doubt a terrific special teams player...but not worth more than #1 receiver. Like I said the Steelers organization has fairly strict player compensation guidelines and Randel El did not "rate" as high as a player like Ward. This doesn't always make Steeler fans happy, but it has been this way for a long time and with 5 Super Bowl rings to show for it, the guys in charge must be doing something right.

OldSchool, you are completely right and I completely agree with you. It would have been quite odd for the Steelers to have paid El more than Hines Ward. I certainly don't believe El is worth more than Hines Ward.

The difference, of course, is that our spending mentality is different from the Rooneys'. Furthermore, we (read: Snyder) have the means to pay these big numbers in up-front money: our franchise is the most profitable, and our owner has cash that he's willing to spend. Cash, by the way, earned both before his ownership of the Redskins and during his ownership.

I'd also be curious to see what El's compensation is next year compared with Ward's. Whereas El's TOTAL contract is certainly huge, I'm guessing it's back-end loaded in terms of annual salary. If you pro-rate the SB over the life of the contract, and add it to El's annual salary for '06, I wonder how the number compares with Ward's total '06 compensation.

I really feel like his performance in the end of the season/playoffs really inflated his value. He is an average undersized 3rd reciever who can return kicks. I'm glad he's a redskin, but we overpaid out the ass for him. Atleast we got a good guy who wont cause problems in the clubhouse.

Can anyone give comparisons to other NFL players like him? I hate to say it but I see him filling the same role as James Thrash... 3rd wr, return man, willing to do special teams work without recognition.

Typical lose a great player fan response. They lost a key player in there offense, and it's making them sick. Physciatrist have a diagnosis for this, it's called envy.

The Steelers lose a key player every year. Last year, they lost Burress, Oliver Ross, Keydrick Vincent, and Kendrall Bell - all starters or former starters.

It doesn't seem to matter who leaves.

Typical lose a great player fan response. They lost a key player in there offense, and it's making them sick. Physciatrist have a diagnosis for this, it's called envy.

Actually, I disagree; the Steelers have a plan that always works (coaching, perhaps?). For them to have paid El as much as we did probably just didn't make sense to them.

Are the exaggerating when they say he was an average teams player, and a mediocre receiver? Yes, likely. I think El will do very good things with the Redskins. But to say such things is a natural response when you lose something you liked.

However, the Steelers probably won't stumble much just because Antwaan Randle El is no longer with their team. They (almost) always find a way to succeed.

The difference, of course, is that our spending mentality is different from the Rooneys'. Furthermore, we (read: Snyder) have the means to pay these big numbers in up-front money: our franchise is the most profitable, and our owner has cash that he's willing to spend. Cash, by the way, earned both before his ownership of the Redskins and during his ownership.

QUOTE]

Dane. True, the Pittsburgh team is not in a large market area, as deemed by the NFL and as such must watch the bottom line more closely. Obviously the Skins are motivated to fill needs and Randel El fills one of them. The Steelers on the other hand have Cedric Wilson and Quincy Morgan to lean on, and as I said earlier they will recruit another special teams/receiver/QB in the draft...watch and see.

I think once we see the details of both contracts aired out (though the Steelers are kinda tight-lipped about that kinda of thing) Ward will have received more compensation per year than Randel El....especially since El's contract is spread over 7 years. But that being said the Steelers still have their rating policy, per position and there is no way a #2 receiver/special team player is going to get paid big money while in Pittsburgh. They will let him walk and wish him the best.

Actually, I disagree; the Steelers have a plan that always works (coaching, perhaps?). For them to have paid El as much as we did probably just didn't make sense to them.

Are the exaggerating when they say he was an average teams player, and a mediocre receiver? Yes, likely. I think El will do very good things with the Redskins. But to say such things is a natural response when you lose something you liked.

However, the Steelers probably won't stumble much just because Antwaan Randle El is no longer with their team. They (almost) always find a way to succeed.

They choked every yr until this yr. What the hell are you talking about? This was there first super bowl since the 70s. They wonthe super bowl this yr because of Randel ELs trick play.

And everybody makes there player crappy after they leave. We did it with Champ Bailey and he is the best corner in football.

I'm not sure who is saying Randle El was crappy or mediocre? I know that most Steeler fans, players and coaches felt he had tremendous talent and will be missed. However, the TEAM always comes first in Pittsburgh and those players who want more money are free to leave. Pittsburgh just goes about filling the holes with current players and building for the future by drafting well. In my opinion Randel El will do well in Washington and will give the fans lots to cheer about. Wish he had stayed a Steeler..but thats the business of football.

They choked every yr until this yr. What the hell are you talking about? This was there first super bowl since the 70s. They wonthe super bowl this yr because of Randel ELs trick play.

And everybody makes there player crappy after they leave. We did it with Champ Bailey and he is the best corner in football.

Would you trade the Steelers last fifteen years with the Redskins' last fifteen years? That's the point.

And no one in Pittsburgh is really trashing Randle El. Everyone wished he was still on the team. They just think that the price tag would have been absurd for a complimentary player.

:laugh: How many playoffs have we been to since 1992? How many playoffs have the Steelers been to since 1992? Do the math. A Super Bowl is not the only measure of "success" that you can look at; remember, competiting for the title at all -- i.e., making the playoffs -- also energizes your fan base and pushes the team. Of course the Super Bowl is the ultimate goal; it's the goal that I, as a fan, most desire. But not to win one does not mean you aren't successful.

Furthermore, the Pittsburgh Steelers are a reputable franchise with strong ownership, consistency in the coaching staff, an excellent and supportive fan base, and a cherished history. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

I count the Eagles and the Giants as successful franchises as well, but what have they done since the late 80's?

If Pastabelly's wants to pick silly numbers like $1M per catch, there are other ways to make Randall El look good.

For example, including returns, passing, rushing and receiving, Randall El gained 5682 yards over the past four years. That's on a par with Tory Holt, many hundreds better than Marvin Harrison and way better than Reggie Wayne who only contributed 3819 yards over the same period.

Looks like a steal to me. :D

I appreciate all opinions, however I think people need to see the mindset we had when going after players in FA.

We are obviously paying these guys to be a part of something and hoping they can build off of their experience in the league and contribute MORE now that they are Redskins. This is a little different than the offseason that Snyder gets raked over the coals for...2000. That offseason, we tried to take the historical numbers of all the guys we got and fit them in and hope it equaled a Super Bowl.

We are paying these guys for their potential and hoping they have their best years as Redskins, not signing guys whose numbers look good on the back of their football cards (if those still exist).

Randel El is going to be a perfect fit for Gibbs and our offensive sceme.If you think back to all the WR's that has played under Gibbs you will see and remember almost 90% of them was short and speedy. When he came back to coach the Skins he said he was going to go and find short and speedy WR's and he got a great one last year in Moss!! Now you add Randel El and Lyod in the mix it kind of reminds you of the posse of Monk,Clark,and Sanders.

I really think this is the new posse of this generation and I see great things happening with these WR's.

I'm not sure who is saying Randle El was crappy or mediocre? I know that most Steeler fans, players and coaches felt he had tremendous talent and will be missed. However, the TEAM always comes first in Pittsburgh and those players who want more money are free to leave. Pittsburgh just goes about filling the holes with current players and building for the future by drafting well. In my opinion Randel El will do well in Washington and will give the fans lots to cheer about. Wish he had stayed a Steeler..but thats the business of football.

Thats basically what I've been hearing around town the past few days. Most of the Steeler fans loved El, and are sorry to see him leaving, but they realize that there was no way the team was going to pay as much as the 'Skins; and most of them didn't want the Steelers to pay that much either.

The Steelers have a COMPLETELY different mentality when approaching free agency, as has been mentioned before. The system they use seems to work out for them more often than not as well. I really don't recall the Steelers losing a player in free agency that they desperately missed the following year. They always find somebody to fill the spot that was voided.

I really like the way the Steeler front office runs their team. They hardly ever hold on to a player who is past his prime, and it seems like they always have great drafts.

OldSchoolSteeler, do you agree that the Pittsburgh media seems to tear down athletes that leave the city to play elsewhere? I'd like to hear a Steeler fan's prospective on that. Also, I'd like someone that lives in the D.C. area to let me know if the Washington media is the same way with departing athletes. Thanks

Hail!

Hi all

Steeler fan checking in. Here are a few of my thoughts, some of which many steeler fans share with me, on the ARE subject.

- We liked ARE a lot and would have loved to have kept him.

- We could not come even close to matching your offer and most fans would have been outraged had we offered him anything even remotely close to that.

- ARE was a #3 receiver on our team although he stepped into the #2 role often because Cedric Wilson had a broken wrist most of the season.

- Some diehards critized ARE because he didn't seem to be able to get seperation from his defender downfield. Whether this was due to his route running skills or what I'm not sure. Most Steeler fans seemed to value him mostly as a gadget guy and punt returner rather than a dependable receiver

- Our OC was great at designing plays for ARE like a toss out/WR screen. I'm sure your OC will do the same to give him space in the open field where he can excel.

- He can be a real threat on punt returns but as a fan you may find yourself frustrated when he turns back and forth, often losing ground in an attempt to find a seam. This type of direction changing returns often led to holding and clipping calls as well. But then, when he takes the occasional punt to the house all is forgiven

I don't think Steeler fans are bitter. We will miss him but we realize it's a business and in this sense he obviously made a great decision coming here. Yes, some jealosy definitely exists that you guys have and use the money to go out and aquire big name FA's. Some steeler fans get frustrated with the frugal signing traditions of the steeler franchise - we don't want to wait ANOTHER 25 years 'till we get to the big one. On the other hand, our way of doing things, which some of you have described here, consistently put us in playoff competion as it also does the patriots who build a team in a similar fashion.

I wish ARE the best and I expect your team to be at the top of the NFC this coming year. Good luck skins! (I'm a big time Cowgirl hater so my wishes for your success are sincere)

Pharm- re: media ripping players that leave the 'burgh. Ya know you see it sometimes, but as most fans know most of the "experts" are just full of gas and have to show how "wise" they are by letting it blow every once in awhile. Most Steeler fans (I'm sure the same goes for 'Skins fans) are pretty sharp when it comes to who is on their teams rosters and who is valuable or just dead wood. We watch the games, go online, read the stats and do lots of things to keep in the know. But, sometimes even the fans get it wrong. For example Bettis was getting some grief locally over the past couple years as being "washed up." He even mentioned it a couple of times. But now that he won his ring and is retiring on top he is the king of the 'burgh. Thing is Bettis was just being a good soldier and fulfilling the role set out for him, namely being a short yardage bulldozer. Lots of fans overlooked his value then and whined about him still being on the team...well, hindsight being 20/20 we now can see how valuable Jerome was..not just on the field, but in the locker room as well. Bottom line some of the fans got it wrong too!

So...to make a long point even longer, the media is full of it most of the time and I don't pay much attention to those taking shots at the players looking for greener pastures. Most fans know what Randel El did for Pittsburgh, as well as what his short-comings were. 'El" was a "role player" and did a great job and now wants more field time, as well as more money....can't blame him and wish him well. All that being said he was an asset to the team and should be a welcome addition to the 'skins.

Gimme a break. Yeah, the Steelers have been gabbing a Lombardi regularly.:doh:

Before this year the last one was what, 25+ years ago? Cowher was in college, right?

Don't lay this "the guys in charge must be doing something right" bull**** on us.

:laugh:

Man, I hope this guy isn't a bust. Like he breaks his leg or something :knocks on wood: But I have to agree about the money situation. Way too much, way too much. He better not complain......

No chance this guy is a bust. He is too good. :point2sky

Archived