Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins fans tell me about....

FlaFitz

Good afternoon to the Redskins nation. My favorite team, the Buffalo Bills, recently signed your former TE Robert Royal.

I honestly don't know much about him. In fact very little even though I follow football pretty closely and I am rather familiar with the Redskins.

Yesterday our "new" GM Marv Levy had this to say:

"He fits the style of attack that we envision," said Levy. "One of the areas where we felt that we had to perform better was along the offensive line. I don't know if there is a better blocking tight end than Robert Royal. We feel we've upgraded not just the tight end position but we feel we have helped our offensive line a lot. This is as good as a blocking tight end that I've seen."

So what can you as fans tell me about Royal and what you have seen over the past 4 seasons?

How good of blocker is he in the passing game?

How good of a blocker is he against the blitz?

How good of a blocker/strengths/weaknesses blocking for the run?

How good of a receiver is he? What are his strengths and weaknesses as a receiver?

Thank you very much for your input because this signing has got me scratching my head not knowing what to think.

Wow he didnt know of a better blocking TE? I didnt consider him a great blocker at all. He was a average blocker but he played better towards the end of the season. He basically lost us that Chargers game with all those drops. Along with 1 which would of gave us a first down and we coulda ended the game. But neways he is a solid TE but nothing great. Hes pretty athletic though and has some speed

Hard-working, tough-nosed blocking tight end.

But don't throw him the ball. Seriously. Actually, don't throw him anything. If you say, "Hey Robert, catch my car keys!" I guarantee that your keys end up in the gutter. You'll have only yourself to blame.

Royal was a very solid TE. He was our #2 guy though so he didnt get involved as much as he would have had he started (as he will with the Bills im assuming). He has good size and made the routine plays....didnt do anything spectacular. He had a case of the drops vs. SD where he must have had 4 easy drops in one game. He would drop the occasional ball but for the most part he was a solid player...just didnt get too involved here due to Sellers, Cooley being the main targets (re:H-back/TE positions).

Royal dropped his share of passes, and they were easy catches. We didn't use him to stretch the field at all. He was a red zone threat and a short route runner, a safety valve a lot of times. Hopefully he'll help you out. Good luck with him and visit us again.

He's a pretty decent TE. Good character guy. He can run a bit with the ball if he manages to hang onto it. (He's infamous for his 4 drop performance last year vs. San Diego)

I guess hes a pretty good blocker, I didnt think he was known for being one of the best though.

I'm going to miss the Wiggle dance after he scores though. I laughed hysterically the first (was it the only?) time he did that.

He certainly improved as a blocker over the years, but I wouldn't call him an elite blocking TE. He's effective as a receiver in the red zone and out of bootleg/play action. BUT, unlike a previous poster mentioned, he is a pretty slow TE. He won't be featured as a part of any vertical passing attack.

All in all, he won't be a clear weakness, but I think he will disappoint. More of a stop-gap starter or a career #2 TE.

I went to the Cowboys/Redskins game and team dinner after the game compliments of Robert and his family. His mom is great, and his daughter is about as smart a 8 year old as I've ever met. But seriously, Robert didn't know me from Adam, and I can honestly say that he is one of the nicest people (athlete or not) that I've met. You're getting a quality guy up there, his hands can be a little inconsistent, but will make a big catch when you need it.

Good luck to Robert!!!

Good afternoon to the Redskins nation. My favorite team, the Buffalo Bills, recently signed your former TE Robert Royal.

I honestly don't know much about him. In fact very little even though I follow football pretty closely and I am rather familiar with the Redskins.

Yesterday our "new" GM Marv Levy had this to say:

"He fits the style of attack that we envision," said Levy. "One of the areas where we felt that we had to perform better was along the offensive line. If you don't know if there is a better blocking tight end than Robert Royal. We feel we've upgraded not just the tight end position but we feel we have helped our offensive line a lot. This is as good as a blocking tight end that I've seen."

So what can you as fans tell me about Royal and what you have seen over the past 4 seasons?

How good of blocker is he in the passing game?

How good of a blocker is he against the blitz?

How good of a blocker/strengths/weaknesses blocking for the run?

How good of a receiver is he? What are his strengths and weaknesses as a receiver?

Thank you very much for your input because this signing has got me scratching my head not knowing what to think.

Royal is a very good utlilty guy. He's not great at any of those things but good at all of them. So if you had no TE then he is good to get you started but don't expect him to be any kind of savior. I you have a #1 TE, then he's a good compliment. He can hurt Ds if he's ignored but not if they know that he's your redzone weapon.

I guess hes at least a decent blocker because Gibbs kept putting him out there. He is pretty slow and has shaky hands. His biggest plus is that he has a funky dance after he scores so you should enjoy that. I don't think he is worth $2 million a year, but I guess its not the end of the world even if he doesn't work out. Seems like a good guy from the little that I have seen from him and should be a solid backup TE.

Royal is a solid run blocker.

Royal is weak in pass blocking, Spurrier played him a few years ago in a Buccaneers game and he got bit----messed up all game by Simeon Rice he had like 3 sacks or something and Royal made Samuels look bad.

On the run he can stay low and cut off his man from a hole. He isnt going to drive anybody but he can seal or crack well enough.

Passing wise, Royal could have really been something if he wanted to, he has good speed and knows how to run routes, however his catching skills have always been suspect, he isnt the guy to be doing a curl over the middle if you get my drift, time and time again Royal choked with an easy catch while wide open- look for some replays of a touchdown he had and dropped in the 1st Giants game, and look for how many 1st downs he dropped on 3rd down in the Chargers game. I still say he lost us the Chargers game all by himself with his drops.

Anyways, enjoy Mr. Royal, if anything he is a hard worker and who knows, you give him more opportunities in Buffalo and let him overcome his catching problem and he could be good.

The guy had one bad game and everyone is screaming how bad his hands were...

Actually, he's a solid red zone threat and a decent possession receiver. He's a decent all-around TE. I didn't think of him being such an exceptional blocker, more along the lines of a steady all-around performer. I would've liked to have kept him, but not at the price he signed for.

Roya'ls a solid blocker and an ok receiver. He had one really terrible game which stands out in the minds of many Redskin fans :) but over the course of the season he was ok. But he's more of a blocker. We didn't throw his way all that often, and I wouldn't expect you guys to either. That's not his role.

OK blocker, better in space than as a drive blocker (he's not really a mauler or anything). Decent athleticism, doesnt have fantastic speed though. Occasionally drops some easy passes. Has a different touchdown dance for every touchdown. I hope he helps your team. We were all pretty surprised to see him get such a large contract.

I don't think I ever forgave Royal for costing us the Oakland game.

Unfortunately, yeah... that's what most people will remember.

Ok receiver, but had a really inconsistent stretch after returning from an injury last year. Came back fine and got back into form, but blocking is more his forte.

Archived