Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins fans tell me about....

FlaFitz

I never really liked him much. That's probably because I prefer a recieving tight end to a blocking tight end. He was a pretty good blocker, but dropped easy passes too often which often costed us first downs. I can definitley see him with the Bills though. Hopefully he'll play better for you than he did for us!

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.

Grade: 59 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

He is a willing blocker and gives good effort to maintain the block. As a receiver, he came off the ball with good releases and was able to get into his routes quickly. He finds the soft spot in the zone coverage. He will catch the ball away from his body and he has shown he can make the tough catch in traffic. Runs with power after the catch. However, Royal is not going to make a lot of big plays and he is not what you are looking for as a blocking TE. He can not anchor the point of attack. He gets physically manhandled. He does not sustain his blocks , loses his balance and is on the ground, gets cross-faced and does not get any movement at the POA.

I think you will find to different opinions about Royal on these boards. Half see him as a decent TE who improved over the last part of the season. The other half remember him for some games where he dropped a lot of passes, some key ones, and completely failed to block a few players on plays. What I think everyone will agree on here is that he is a good guy, and a good one to have in the locker room.

My opinion on his skills is that, he is an above average blocker, but thats about it, and he is an inconsistent pass catcher. Decent TE but no one who will really make a big impact. Frankly, I was looking to upgrade our TE position after the end of this season. To say he is the best blocker in the NFL, or even at the very top, is just ludacris.

Robert Royal will not stretch the field vertically, he is an OK run blocker and has a tendency to drop the easy catch. He runs upright, a couple of times last year he got lit up in the flat. If I had to rate him compared to other tight ends in the league, he would be a C.

Hubster and everyone else thank you very much. Some excellent responses so far.

I have a question for all of you that said he was a good/solid run blocker.

Would you say he a direct input on or was an important contributor in the Redskins 7th rank in rushing, 12th in rushing TDs and 9th rank in rushing average? Or would you say that those ranks were due more to Portis', Betts' and Cartwright's abilities? Or even more so would you say it wouldn't matter who lined up next to Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen and the rest of the Redskins offensive linemen?

Hard-working, tough-nosed blocking tight end.

But don't throw him the ball. Seriously. Actually, don't throw him anything. If you say, "Hey Robert, catch my car keys!" I guarantee that your keys end up in the gutter. You'll have only yourself to blame.

:laugh: :laugh: too true...too true :doh:

Good afternoon to the Redskins nation. My favorite team, the Buffalo Bills, recently signed your former TE Robert Royal.

I honestly don't know much about him. In fact very little even though I follow football pretty closely and I am rather familiar with the Redskins.

Yesterday our "new" GM Marv Levy had this to say:

"He fits the style of attack that we envision," said Levy. "One of the areas where we felt that we had to perform better was along the offensive line. I don't know if there is a better blocking tight end than Robert Royal. We feel we've upgraded not just the tight end position but we feel we have helped our offensive line a lot. This is as good as a blocking tight end that I've seen."

So what can you as fans tell me about Royal and what you have seen over the past 4 seasons?

How good of blocker is he in the passing game?

How good of a blocker is he against the blitz?

How good of a blocker/strengths/weaknesses blocking for the run?

How good of a receiver is he? What are his strengths and weaknesses as a receiver?

Thank you very much for your input because this signing has got me scratching my head not knowing what to think.

Maybe a bit above average in the blocking department, and very average pass-catching skills.

The upside, though, is that he is still young and could improve himself in both areas.

I still think that he shouldn't even be a #1 Tight End, though...

:2cents:

Royal was underwhelming over his Redskin career and probably can be considered a disappointment in terms of impacting a game.

The Chargers game aside, Royal had a knack for concentration lapses that would cause him to drop the easy catches while turning attention upfield before securing the ball.

I can't say I can recall any game where he caught a difficult touchdown catch in traffic or between defenders. He had a string of Mike Sellers-esque touchdowns that left him wide open due to misdirectiona and scheme accompanied by a nifty celebration dance.

Overall, Royal is a solid character guy that showed flashes of ability and seemed to improve during the latter part of the season. I think the FO would've retained him at a veteran minimum deal, but anything beyond that was a gamble considering his lack of consistency during his NFL career.

Anybody on this site saying Robert Royal cant catch is totally wrong. Ill tell you why they think that later...

Robert Royal is a pretty good blocking tight end, but dont call him a good one.

He has pretty good hands, but again dont call them good hands. Hes very athletic for a tight end and wont shy away from the big hit. He wants to do well which is good cuase some athletes dont really care. Like sombody said though he does have concentration lapses which effects him catching the ball. I personally think he will make your team. Alot of people on here think Robert Royal sucks but he does not. He made a huge rebound and redeemed himself.

Now the reason everybody thinks he cant catch is becuase of one game. Philidelphia Eagles game he dropped like 6 passes and like 4 of them were crucial first down catches on 3rd down. To prove to you that he really cares, Joe Gibbs said he went into the wieght room and cried or somthing.

Overall, nice pick up.

Anybody on this site saying Robert Royal cant catch is totally wrong. Ill tell you why they think that later...

Robert Royal is a pretty good blocking tight end, but dont call him a good one.

He has pretty good hands, but again dont call them good hands. Hes very athletic for a tight end and wont shy away from the big hit. He wants to do well which is good cuase some athletes dont really care. Like sombody said though he does have concentration lapses which effects him catching the ball. I personally think he will make your team. Alot of people on here think Robert Royal sucks but he does not. He made a huge rebound and redeemed himself.

Now the reason everybody thinks he cant catch is becuase of one game. Philidelphia Eagles game he dropped like 6 passes and like 4 of them were crucial first down catches on 3rd down. To prove to you that he really cares, Joe Gibbs said he went into the wieght room and cried or somthing.

Overall, nice pick up.

Just because he can be good, doesn't make him good.

I, for one, was thinking that he would excel in Spurrier's offense as he was given pretty high ranks for having soft hands at the combine. Thought Gibbs would find a way to get him the ball and help us get some tough yardage, but Gibbs did him even better by making him a red zone target.

Royal shouldn't have rested on his laurals in the beginning of this past season. Gibbs kept giving him chances, eventually he did something with them, but obviously too late.

I doubt he will amount to anything in buffalo.

I think he is a good blocking te. he does drop passes every now and then. In a game last year he dropped 4 very easy catches. Oh by the way welcome to the best football information site.

In his defense he stepped it up down the stretch and in the playoffs.

He's decent with potential..but could decline with a bad coaching staff IMHO..

Robert Royal is a hard worker and a team guy. He's got a good attitude. He drops passes from time to time, but he is a big guy and can go up for the ball. He's also nice to have when you are in near the endzone as he is a big target. His blocking is ok, but that and the shaky hands are the reasons we let him go and picked up Fauria. Royal is right at the middle as far as TE's go, but can be utilized if your offensive coordinator is talented. He'll do good for you guys, but don't hold high expectations.

lol, don't expect too much from him.

- but seriously, he's a decent Te, good blocker, decent receiver. Does nothing great but is ok at everything. Definately not a go to guy but is reliable "most" of the time.

-he had one terrible game for us last year against the Chargers where he dropped 3 or 4 big passes and some blame him for the loss, which would explain why alot of people are glad he isn't here anymore.

That is really interesting that Marv Levy referred to him as an excellent blocker.

In his time in Washington, he was injured mostly, but did see some playing time.

He has good, soft hands... and he is o.k. in the open field running with the ball. Sure he caught the dropsies a few times, but many receivers do. Overall I think he has good hands though.

As for the blocking piece of it... I have NEVER heard him referred to as a blocker. As a matter of fact, IIRC, when Gibbs came back he was one of the Redskins that was supposedly going to be cut because he was not the Gibbs prototypical blocking tight end. He was simply a WR who was too slow to play in the slot, so he started running routes from a 3 point stance off the line of scrimmage instead. :)

I'm sure he improved his blocking under Gibbs, and maybe he can get better, but Royal should NEVER be confused with an excellent blocker.

That said, Royal is a hard worker and a team guy. He is a good pickup for the Bills. But like Kevin B. says... you will literally cringe with embarassment during his TD dances. :doh:

Archived