Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

White players being compared to other White players

Staylor21

This is hillarious cuz i think the same thing...

A.J. Hawk was just on Cold Pizza and they asked him who he modeled his game after and of course he said a white guy! I though he would say Urlacher but he said Zach Thomas. :laugh:

PC is a fancy term for bs!!! in todays world lies are more exceptable than truth! how is this one.....joe jurivisious(sp?) reminds me alot of art monk.

Uhh No where close.

No hall of fame potential or reception records to justify a comparison

this is something i noticed LOOOONNNGGGG ago, and i completely agree with your point. the argument someone else made about journalists wanting to be P.C. is actually wrong in two respects:

1. it makes them look MORE discriminatory when they only compare within race. it shows that their brain & thought process aren't even CONSIDERING the other race, as if its on a separate playing field/plane.

2. its lazy journalism. easier for a lazy journalist to filter through the mental rolodex of the TEN white DB's in the NFL, rather than filter through all 100 of them. same goes for the black quarterback argument.

in acutality, arculetta kind of reminds me of roy williams, while jason campbell reminds me of ben roethlesberger.

I'm black but to me its funny that whenever a white player is etheir about to be in the draft or is an elite player they compare them to other white players. Such as already today people are comparing Adam Archuleta to a poor man Matt Bowen why can't he be compared to like a Adrian Wilson or a Tony Parrish but he gets compared to a white player such as Matt Bowen in which is a insult to me. Also like lets take A.J. Hawk from Ohio State when you ask draft experts to compare him to a linebacker right now in the league they say Zach Thomas,Brian Urlacher,or Keith Brooking why don't they compare them to like a Keith Bullock or a Joey Porter they don't do it. Me in my own mind is wondering why do people always compare white players to other white players in the NFL. I just want someone view on this i'm not racist nothing i just wanted to see how others feel about this.

I'm black but to me its funny that whenever a white player is etheir about to be in the draft or is an elite player they compare them to other white players. Such as already today people are comparing Adam Archuleta to a poor man Matt Bowen why can't he be compared to like a Adrian Wilson or a Tony Parrish but he gets compared to a white player such as Matt Bowen in which is a insult to me. Also like lets take A.J. Hawk from Ohio State when you ask draft experts to compare him to a linebacker right now in the league they say Zach Thomas,Brian Urlacher,or Keith Brooking why don't they compare them to like a Keith Bullock or a Joey Porter they don't do it. Me in my own mind is wondering why do people always compare white players to other white players in the NFL. I just want someone view on this i'm not racist nothing i just wanted to see how others feel about this.

i think you definitely have a good point. i think it goes both ways though, as in, nobody would compare a black safety to a poor mans john lynch. i do agree though, that it isnt right, as black and white players play the same game, and there is no need to "segregate" the comparisons... nobody's skin color gives them different skills on the football field.

I never thought of it that way, but now that it's mentioned it is funny. Everyone is in the same leauge competing for jobs. I think part of the reason could be the lack of white players inthe league at those positions. But you do make a good point. So, here's one for you, Adam Archuletta is like Brian Dawkins, but better since he is a Redskin.

THis is atually a very good question. I agree with the P.C. answer but I really believe it goes much deeper than that.

A guy like AJ Hawk is being compared to other white LBs because there is a stereotype out there that whites are not physically gifted enough to play most positions on the footbal field.

Vince Young is being compared to Vick and Cullpepper because of the stereotype that blacks cannot be good QBS.

Both stereotypes are B.S., but by making the racial comparison the mediots feel that they are proving white guys can play LN and black guys can play QB etc.

ty ride,this is what i have been trying to tell ppl on here.

i never understood some people on here if u feel its dumb then don't post nothing its pointless. Like what will the press say when there is a potiential top 5 five white running back who will be in the NFL Draft and comes into the league who are they going to compare him to then?Thats when this whole thing will come to the big light and people will really understand what i'm saying and others have been saying

John Riggins? :)

I've noticed this going on for a while on all racial fronts in sports. Listen to what commentators say about black athletes: "Outstanding athleticism/leaping ability" whereas they will only refer to white athletes as being "tough, cerebral, or hard-working"

Vince Young is being compared to Vick and Cullpepper because of the stereotype that blacks cannot be good QBS.

First of all, does it matter. And second of all, since when have people said blacks cant make good QBs? Warren Moon, McNabb is over rated but he is still good, Vick needs some accuracy, Leftwhich is pretty good, etc. There just end up being more white QBs because I guess that is more their mentality. I mean, though I think we are all one race, the human race, there is diffenitly a difference in the way we think. I think we will see more black QBs now that the QB position is starting to get more athletic, more movement.

Seriously. the black community has enough to worry about and yet this is what you chose to let bother you? Rarely will I do this but this is the dumbest thread ever.

I wonder if apples are pissed they're never compared with oranges. Grow up.

Perceptive observation, Staylor21. I noted two of the reasons most likely mentioned in the thread. This one will be slow to change. With humans, identification always begins by lumping together what's most observable by sight. Unless it's night or you're in a cave :laugh: .

Seriously. the black community has enough to worry about and yet this is what you chose to let bother you? Rarely will I do this but this is the dumbest thread ever.

I wonder if apples are pissed they're never compared with oranges. Grow up.

:applause:

This happens all the time, its a shame to think how these highly-educated doofs who write sports articles continue to follow the practice in their day-to-day workings.

Taylor Hansborough, huge big man with inside game, post moves -- oh he's Dan Issell

Keith Van Horn, rangy big guy who can hit a three -- oh he's Larry Bird.

This also translates onto the practice field, where kids are told by their coaches, based on their "subconcious thing" that they should play certain positions. What about big white guys who are told to play offensive line instead of defensive line? What about white guys who carry the ball, run fast and take hits, why can't they be running backs? Football is the sport that purveys this mindset the most explicitly.

What about the way white players are described: "heady, clutch, tough" as opposed to the "fast, animal-like, athletic-freak" black brethren.

Wake up people.

Archived