Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

White players being compared to other White players

Staylor21

This happens all the time, its a shame to think how these highly-educated doofs who write sports articles continue to follow the practice in their day-to-day workings.

Taylor Hansborough, huge big man with inside game, post moves -- oh he's Dan Issell

Keith Van Horn, rangy big guy who can hit a three -- oh he's Larry Bird.

This also translates onto the practice field, where kids are told by their coaches, based on their "subconcious thing" that they should play certain positions. What about big white guys who are told to play offensive line instead of defensive line? What about white guys who carry the ball, run fast and take hits, why can't they be running backs? Football is the sport that purveys this mindset the most explicitly.

What about the way white players are described: "heady, clutch, tough" as opposed to the "fast, animal-like, athletic-freak" black brethren.

Wake up people.

I agree that it really is a problem when race becomes a factor that influences the way players are treated, and it doesn't just happen the way this thread suggests. There are black commentators (including occasionally Michael Wilbon) who will openly root for black players based on race, and will admit to doing so. That has to stop too, if people really want things to be right. What you end up with is a bunch of people chasing their own tails around in circles trying to be politically correct, instead of just treating people as individuals, and all it does is perpetuate the problem. In order for things to really change though, it can't just be one-sided. Everybody has to drop it.

Seriously. the black community has enough to worry about and yet this is what you chose to let bother you? Rarely will I do this but this is the dumbest thread ever.

I wonder if apples are pissed they're never compared with oranges. Grow up.

WHAT???????!!!!!!! What is it that blacks have to worry about?

Original post was a good question. Fact is there are no white players or black players, just various shades and mixtures of various continents. European Americans, African Americans and a lot of hanky panky in between. Its a good question, because it helps open our eyes.

My focus was to let people sit back and recongize what is still going on in today's society were all the same just different colors it doesn't matter. As a kid i realized like playing neighborhood basketball if two kids came from nowhere and wanted to play and no one has seem them play and 1 is black and the other is white the captian would always pick the black player first because of what they have adapted to from home and t.v. but then when the white player is killing the other team and the black child can't even dribble they realize that we can all do the same things and you shouldn't judge somebody based on color but by there talents,respect for one another. Its simple things like that i've only been alive for 18 years and this something that happens frequently we all need to be more realistic about life man were all the same. Whites mostly being quarterbacks has nothing to do with meantally thinking better than a black player its just that there isn't alot of player black players they can relate to such as if your coming from a rich class family you can't sit here and say you relate to Ray Lewis or Deion Sanders because you didn't go through there struggles you lean more to players such as Dan Marino,John Elway ones that like alot of things you like and shared similair backgrounds with. I'm not in anyway saying that whites can't be poor but as a child you look up to players whom look more like you because ur rasing of a child hasn't been explored to other races.

I'm black but to me its funny that whenever a white player is etheir about to be in the draft or is an elite player they compare them to other white players. Such as already today people are comparing Adam Archuleta to a poor man Matt Bowen why can't he be compared to like a Adrian Wilson or a Tony Parrish but he gets compared to a white player such as Matt Bowen in which is a insult to me. Also like lets take A.J. Hawk from Ohio State when you ask draft experts to compare him to a linebacker right now in the league they say Zach Thomas,Brian Urlacher,or Keith Brooking why don't they compare them to like a Keith Bullock or a Joey Porter they don't do it. Me in my own mind is wondering why do people always compare white players to other white players in the NFL. I just want someone view on this i'm not racist nothing i just wanted to see how others feel about this.

Same reason they compare McNabb to Randall Cunningham instead of Steve Young...

I'm black but to me its funny that whenever a white player is etheir about to be in the draft or is an elite player they compare them to other white players. Such as already today people are comparing Adam Archuleta to a poor man Matt Bowen why can't he be compared to like a Adrian Wilson or a Tony Parrish but he gets compared to a white player such as Matt Bowen in which is a insult to me. Also like lets take A.J. Hawk from Ohio State when you ask draft experts to compare him to a linebacker right now in the league they say Zach Thomas,Brian Urlacher,or Keith Brooking why don't they compare them to like a Keith Bullock or a Joey Porter they don't do it. Me in my own mind is wondering why do people always compare white players to other white players in the NFL. I just want someone view on this i'm not racist nothing i just wanted to see how others feel about this.

I try not to mix my football with sociology, though this is an observation I have made.

This goes beyond race and skin color. People will compare people who look similiar, skin, haircut, hair color, size, team, and even jersey number. Brunell was the next Steve Young because he was a white QB who could run, was left-handed, and wore #8.

Thats the problem people see it as nothing but me it means alot

Why? This isn't the 1960's anymore. If you want respect that has to demanded and earned. I'm black and Italian, but I'm not falling into anybody's sterotype. I'm gonna get mine, and nothing's gonna stop me. Whether racisim exists or not, I'm gonna get mine.

Staylor21, I commend your efforts to intelligently discuss a serious social topic on this board especially given your age. Unfortunately, this kind of stuff has been going since sports began. Way before "political correctness" became a catch phrase so it has nothing to do with that has some people have suggested. It has everything to do with the racism that exists within our society. Unfortunately in this country, we can't get past race or color, either consciously or sub-conciously. To give some perspective, when I was your age in the early 80's, the Lakers vs Celtics was a great rivalry. The Lakers were a mostly black team, led by a black superstar described by sports writers of the day as athletic, fast breaking, high-flying while the Celtics, mostly white and led by a white superstar, were described as hard-working, intelligent and full of hustle. I always thought that Danny Ainge must have been a heck of an athlete to have been drafted to play 2 professional sports (baseball and basketball) and Magic Johnson was one of the most smartest people I have seen at distributing the ball to right person at the right time. I even remember a Sports Illustrated article at the time talking about John Thompson and his Georgetown basketball team when it was annually a national powerhouse and he was criticized for fielding an all-black squad made up of "inner-city" kids at a majority white private catholic institution. The only problem was that nearly all of Thompson's player that year came middle class suburbia. The writer had failed to do his homework and instead relied on his own predjucies. Unfortunately, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Thanks for your experiences and i apprectiate it thanks

Staylor21, I commend your efforts to intelligently discuss a serious social topic on this board especially given your age. Unfortunately, this kind of stuff has been going since sports began. Way before "political correctness" became a catch phrase so it has nothing to do with that has some people have suggested. It has everything to do with the racism that exists within our society. Unfortunately in this country, we can't get past race or color, either consciously or sub-conciously. To give some perspective, when I was your age in the early 80's, the Lakers vs Celtics was a great rivalry. The Lakers were a mostly black team, led by a black superstar described by sports writers of the day as athletic, fast breaking, high-flying while the Celtics, mostly white and led by a white superstar, were described as hard-working, intelligent and full of hustle. I always thought that Danny Ainge must have been a heck of an athlete to have been drafted to play 2 professional sports (baseball and basketball) and Magic Johnson was one of the most smartest people I have seen at distributing the ball to right person at the right time. I even remember a Sports Illustrated article at the time talking about John Thompson and his Georgetown basketball team when it was annually a national powerhouse and he was criticized for fielding an all-black squad made up of "inner-city" kids at a majority white private catholic institution. The only problem was that nearly all of Thompson's player that year came middle class suburbia. The writer had failed to do his homework and instead relied on his own predjucies. Unfortunately, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

It's a subtle and non-malicious form of racism.

ACtually, it's not that subtle, because we've been talking about this for years. Just thank God we've moved on from the Billy Packer white player=smart, student of the game and black player=amazing athlete paradigms.

Why people would diss this post, I have no idea. What you say is absolute truth. People are afraid, for some reason, to compare players of different races. Sometimes it's because it's difficult to find an analog in another race, but it's often intellectual laziness that reveals a stunning lack of understanding of the sport and how it's played.

Then again, I remember the active rooting against the USA Basketball team in the last Olympics and a lot of the comments were underpinned by a racial prejudice. Steve Czaban actively rooted for Argentina and a "bunch of white guys." It's what spurred the comments that we needed more Fred Hoibergs on the team (as if getting white dudes who had less talent than the best white players on the international circuit would help.)

Don't Worry be Happy ..... :laugh:

Archived