Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

White players being compared to other White players

Staylor21

This post makes me proud. This converstation would have been very different years ago. As for the premise of comparing by Color? It's stupid to do. I think that commentators assume that we aren't smart enough to make certain correct judgements on our own so they try to help us along so that thier point is make correctly. News for them, we're smarter now.

I'm black but to me its funny that whenever a white player is etheir about to be in the draft or is an elite player they compare them to other white players. Such as already today people are comparing Adam Archuleta to a poor man Matt Bowen why can't he be compared to like a Adrian Wilson or a Tony Parrish but he gets compared to a white player such as Matt Bowen in which is a insult to me. Also like lets take A.J. Hawk from Ohio State when you ask draft experts to compare him to a linebacker right now in the league they say Zach Thomas,Brian Urlacher,or Keith Brooking why don't they compare them to like a Keith Bullock or a Joey Porter they don't do it. Me in my own mind is wondering why do people always compare white players to other white players in the NFL. I just want someone view on this i'm not racist nothing i just wanted to see how others feel about this.

Everything was going so well and then I could not help but notice this post. Why does that even matter.

Do black kids pick at you or something; Why would this even matter to you you????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Everything was going so well and then I could not help but notice this post. Why does that even matter.

Do black kids pick at you or something; Why would this even matter to you you????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

He said he was black. More importantly, it's something that me and many of my black friends (I'm mixed) have noticed for years. It's also something many white pundits have noticed. I guess all of our opinions are invalid because you are afraid or too important to be bothered by these types of discussions.

I love some of these responses, especially goth's. What the hell, dude? I've been on the receiving end of racism and hatred from just about every group I can think of. Pointing out something that is a STEREOTYPE rather than malicious racism is not 'shoving' anything down the 'white community's' throat. As if you were appointed spokesman for said 'community' or as if it was a monolith.

I AM starting to see this change a bit. Not so much from people on forums like this, but from the more intelligent analysts. That means we've made progress. Again, many of us remember during our lifetimes the white player=smart, gritty, student of the game vs. black=great athlete paradigm that has thankfully been jettisoned.

Noticing these things and wanting them to be changed doesn't mean you are approaching with a given political agenda.

He said he was black. More importantly, it's something that me and many of my black friends (I'm mixed) have noticed for years. It's also something many white pundits have noticed. I guess all of our opinions are invalid because you are afraid or too important to be bothered by these types of discussions.

I love some of these responses, especially goth's. What the hell, dude? I've been on the receiving end of racism and hatred from just about every group I can think of. Pointing out something that is a STEREOTYPE rather than malicious racism is not 'shoving' anything down the 'white community's' throat. As if you were appointed spokesman for said 'community' or as if it was a monolith.

I AM starting to see this change a bit. Not so much from people on forums like this, but from the more intelligent analysts. That means we've made progress. Again, many of us remember during our lifetimes the white player=smart, gritty, student of the game vs. black=great athlete paradigm that has thankfully been jettisoned.

Noticing these things and wanting them to be changed doesn't mean you are approaching with a given political agenda.

Well said, Ghost.

I think a lot of people are just uncomfortable talking about race, so they just attack people who bring it up as playing the race card.

A lot of people seem to be getting really defensive as if the original poster accused them or racism, but I don't think the phenomenon of comparing players to others of their own race is really evidence of racism per se. It's just a matter of laziness - tall players are compared to tall players, short players compared to short players, and white players are compared to white players. It's just something we do without thinking, especially when talking about something physical like sports.

I think the interesting question to ask is whether this is okay, or whether it will ever go away. In some sense I'm not sure it will ever go away completely because it's just a reflexive observation - just like height or hair-style leads to lazy comparisons, skin color will always be an obvious attribute that people will subconsciously connect between people ... and it may be unreasonable to expect this kind of classification to ever go away simply because it's so easy.

... and maybe it's okay that this will keep happenning, as long as it isn't done with any malicious intent or any stereotypes, as you point out the coach-on-the-field white quarterback vs. the athletic black quarterback. And consequently maybe it's okay that we continue to talk about this - the best state of the world might not be colorblind, but perhaps a world where we are both conscious and comfortable about race.

You have a great point, however, I just don't think it sounds right comparing players of different races:

"Yeah, I really like Jerome Bettis, he sort of reminds me of a John Riggins"

If you're talking about football, I don't see anything wrong with that quote.

Great glad you pointed it out.. Ok now what? Is it so important to you that this much time need to be spent on it. I've got better things to do in my life then worry about it. My point is who cares, if a white man is getting a QB job over a more talented black man, then I'll care. If a black coach is being passed over for a less intelligent white coach, then I'll care. But how two millionaire athletes are compared regardless of color, I simply do not care. We here in the ES community for the most part don't compare people like that. Who cares what some media dumb ass thinks about anything.

As far as the white community, I'm around enough white people who I wouldn't classify as racists but are sick of hearing about it. They don't hate anyone, they just want to live their lives. Like any of us. Granted it's not the entire white community, but it's the white community I'm a part of.

Now the racist is going to go spend time with his black wife and mixed child and you sir need to get a clue.

...........To tell you truth, I dont care if he was orange with purple hair. If he is having a problem understanding the pros and cons of life as a black man; he should look to his mentors and not a bunch of strangers on a message board. To me he stuck his self out there a little bit.

These questions that he asked are putting people wheter they are white or black and what about the people who arent even being compared to on the spot! This white and black thing that you shimmed up needs to stop. Next thing you know we will all be talking about football is nothing more than organized slave trading. Somethings are better asked in person instead of throwing it out there for total strangers to see on a public forum. I am sure he wouldn't go to a stranger(s) on the streets with these ridiculous questions so why here? INMO I think he should research the answer to find the truth just do it in private; ask your aunt or your uncles. Join a mentor program, do something.

I could give a damn who the talking heads compare this guy or that guy to. That's their job and when they did compare two whites to each other, the guy who created the thread brought that fact up, not them........... :2cents:

I think that there's a general taboo against publicly mentioning any comparisons between blacks and whites. To play it safe, media people don't compare across racial lines. It's not P.C.

I haven't read this entire thread, so I'm sorry if I'm repeating anything.

Actually, this is the opposite of PC. It would be much more PC to compare Vince Young to Steve Young than it would be to compare him to Michael Vick. In fact, I'm sure it irks a lot of the PC people that these comparisons are made. It irks me, and while I don't consider myself particulary PC, I'm sure a lot of people on this board would consider me so.

Anyway, I see the point the poster is making applied all the time to white WRs. EVERY white wide receiver is automatically labeled "Ed McCafferty type", except for Matt Jones, who is labeled a "freak" (I find it funny that Randy Moss, who has similar physical gifts, albeit at 20 pounds less weight, is never labeled a "freak"). Why not a Keyshawn Johnson or Art Monk type?

Better yet, why has that label always been applied to Brandon Stokely, who was easily the fastest player on the Ravens the year they won the Championship and is still a very fast WR to this day?

Rcae relations still have a long way to go in this country. I think a big hurdle that society needs to clear is the realization that you don't need to hate to be racist. But we're beginning to venture into Tailgate Territory, so I'll cut it off at that.

Archived