Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We're a funny lot

Om

Here in the middle of a breaking news cycle, when "confirmed" is still a blurry and moving line, I'm getting a kick out of watching some of you magnificent bastiges.

Many, even while it's still very much up in the air if Washington has even officially landed Randel El or not, were already yelling from the rooftops that we "overpaid!" for the guy. We did? Meaning what exactly ... that we're headed for "cap hell?"

That we've already blown the '06 offseason by only adding WR's and overlooking other needs?

I think some of you need a Corona. :)

If the whole CBA affair taught us anything, it should have been that our team actually has a clue. That it actually knows how to both plan for and cover contingencies.

Seriously ... are we really thinking, just a few days after the team had a dozen key players voluntarily restructure to clear room so that the team could BE a team because it matters to the players as well as the rest of us, and after seeing the team release only a few guys who were going to get released anyway, that now the team is simply blowing out the checkbook on a particular guy or position at the expense of other needs?

I dunno guys ... seems to me this team's earned a little more faith than that of late.

Oh, and I see where some are upset Andre Carter left w/o a contract. As if perhaps the Skins don't understand as well as we fans do the need to add a pass rushing DE. Well ... is it possible, just for sake of discussion, that the Skins had a number in mind for this particular gentleman, and this particular gentleman wanted more? That perhaps we didn't want to ... you know ... overpay for the guy?

Just sayin.' Breathe, my friends. Enjoy the game, but like the coaches all say, let the game come to you. Dont overrun the play. :)

This message has been brought to you by the letter R.

R.

Relax. :)

I agree with most of this but...

Oh, and I see where some are upset Andre Carter left w/o a contract. As if perhaps the Skins don't understand as well as we fans do the need to add a pass rushing DE. Well ... is it possible, just for sake of discussion, that the Skins had a number in mind for this particular gentleman, and this particular gentleman wanted more? That perhaps we didn't want to ... you know ... overpay for the guy?

If 6 years, $31 mil was OK for Randle-El, I dont know what Carter would have had to ask for that we would deem too high. :D

I agree with most of this but...

If 6 years, $31 mil was OK for Randle-El, I dont know what Carter would have had to ask for that we would deem too high. :D

Maybe the team thought Randle El was worth that much to this team at this time ... but that whatever number Carter had in mind might be more than they believed HE was worth to them at this time?

I know that seems crazy, but there it is. :)

Maybe the team thought Randle El was worth that much to this team at this time ... but that whatever number Carter had in mind might be more than they believed HE was worth to them at this time?

I would also add with all the DE and DT signings already Carters numbers just went way up. Curious what other guys we are looking at for help on the DL, and we do need help there.

I just wish we could make these FA signings without all of the media coverage--I know that's not possible, but I like it when we come out of nowhere, like this year and prove all of the pundits wrong. But, I've learned to temper my offseason expectations--with Gibbs in charge, I have a lot more faith in this team and its propensity to spend of FA's, most of which have been fantastic signings.

Yeah, thanks, I can read... :silly:

Just sayin, it seems to me that DE is a bigger need than a third big money WR. I know WHY the Skins are doing what they are doing. Obviously thats pretty simple, its just a question of whether or not everyone agrees. As far as I know theres no problem with that.

I think some of you need a Corona. :)

Ug. You can do better than that. A Newcastle at least. ;)

Sure, I have a problem with signing Randel El to a big contract. Not that by itself, but the three other guys that we also have big contracts for, not to mention investment in draft picks.

I also have a problem with a guy who was the #2 WR on his team, but couldn't even crack 600 yards.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out if there are enough balls to go around for all of these guys?

Meanwhile, D-linemen are going off the market like hotcakes, another place where we have serious depth problems. It isn't just the money, but is there anyone there worth signing at the end of the day?

So, yeah, I do have a problem with the early signings.

Jason

Yeah, thanks, I can read... :silly:

Just sayin, it seems to me that DE is a bigger need than a third big money WR. I know WHY the Skins are doing what they are doing. Obviously thats pretty simple, its just a question of whether or not everyone agrees. As far as I know theres no problem with that.

The Skins do need a DE. Perhaps even more at this point than Randle El. Not my point. :)

My point is that perhaps this PARTICULAR DE might have priced himself too high for the number the SKINS assigned him, after assessing his particular skill set and determining what it was worth to this team at this time. Not all DE's are created equal. Nor are all WR's. Nor are all specific team needs and skill sets within the broad parameters of "DE" and/or "WR."

Sorry. THat's probably hard to read. :)

Nicely said, Om.

I love these signings. We are signing cap friendly contracts (since clearly we know some financial accounting tricks that others haven't mastered) for young, talented, undervalued guys and putting them through intense training with our world class coaching staff.

Gibbs is a diety. He should be the President of the United States.

Archived