Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is your favorite style of music?

AbleDanger

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

heavy metal, grunge rock, death metal, classic rock, hard rock, rock in general

Basically the same goes for me as well. I listen to a broad range of rock/metal, but I tend to lean towards some of the heavier stuff. The Misfits and Social Distortion are probably my two favorite bands, but not the heaviest bands I listen to.

I like good music. Music that gets me energized, calms me down, brings me, makes me angry, makes me remember how I got here. From Mary J. Blige to Marilyn Manson. From Louis Armstrong to Linkin Park. Techno to Tupac. It's all about my mood and the mood I want to be in.

Having said that, country sucks.

My favorite style of music is punk rock (no surprise there). I especially like old school punk rock such as the Clash, X, Bad Religion, Ramones, Devo, Buzz****s, Descendents, Minutemen, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Adolescents, Avengers, the Crowd, Agent Orange, TSOL, the Germs and Social Distortion.

I also like classic rock. My favorite groups from that genre are the Beatles, Doors, Sonics and Rolling Stones.

My favorite style of music is punk rock (no surprise there). I especially like old school punk rock such as the Clash, X, Bad Religion, Ramones, Devo, Buzz****s, Descendents, Minutemen, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Adolescents, Avengers, the Crowd, Agent Orange, TSOL, the Germs and Social Distortion.

I drove 14 hours round trip in one weekend about a year ago to see Social Distortion play live. It was worth the trip.

I have a very eclectic taste in music. I picked up 4 CD's in a music store one day and the guy behind the counter thought I was pulling a prank on him. I had Anthony Acid's MDMA3, Charlotte Church, Immortal beloved soundtrack and Tool. That's how I do it. Depends on the mood I'm in. For example

Sunday's I like gospel or bluegrass, country; it reminds me of home

Monday morning squadron PT, heavy metal, hard rock

Tuesday, sun is shining, windows down cranking out some classic rock

Wednesday; hump day need a pick me up, turn up the bass and crank Afroman

Thursday; almost weekend how about a little techno

Friday; goodtime music, beastie boys maybe some eminem

Saturday; usually outside, anything goes, throw in an MP3 disc and hit shuffle.

Hip Hop/Rap but I don't like 50 Cent and all that gangster **** is kind of gay.

I like Kanye West, Nas, Jay Z you know the REAL deal.

dude all that stuff was written by 40-something marketing executives who take polls to see if kids will warm up to their next release. Google "payola." Kanye actually pays radio stations to play his songs and the more he pays them, the higher up on the charts he goes, the more popular he gets with youngsters who buy CD's, and the more money his corporate backers make.

I listen to classical almost exclusively. Here are my top ten classical composers

1. Beethoven/Bach

3. Brahms

4. Mendelssohn

5. Rachmoninoff

6. Domenico Scarlatti

7. Rodrigo

8. Albeniz

9. Schumann

10. Haydn

notice there is no Mozart on my list. :2cents:

What is your beef with Mozart?

Too prancy, too feminine. La Moryant is not a style I can appreciate and Mozart was it's culmination. I do know about his brief dark period and I do like some of his stuff, just not top 10, or even top 15 for me. He made some pretty cool Symphonies and piano pieces but he is generally overrated IMO. He was a culminator, not an innovator. Nothing wrong with that, I generally prefer innovators.

Too prancy, too feminine. La Moryant is not a style I can appreciate and Mozart was it's culmination. I do know about his brief dark period and I do like some of his stuff, just not top 10, or even top 15 for me. He made some pretty cool Symphonies and piano pieces but he is generally overrated IMO. He was a culminator, not an innovator. Nothing wrong with that, I generally prefer innovators.

What do you think of modern composers like John Williams, Hans Zimmer, and Danny Elfman?

What do you think of modern composers like John Williams, Hans Zimmer, and Danny Elfman?

just want to join in, I can sorta respect modern composers, but at the same time, not as much so. Well, let me rephrase, the modern hollywood composers I cannot respect as much compared to others who compose. Hans Zimmer uses the same theme/motive over and over again. John Williams just sounds waaaay too hollywood in all his works, but I like them nevertheless. Danny Elfman seems to have a style I like though, definitely modern. I think Harry Gregson-Williams did a great job with the Narnia soundtrack.

Metal/hard rock/classic rock is my top, but classical/instrumental songs are not far behind, especially works from the Romantic period.

All three of those guys you just named owe a lot to the "Romantic" period of orchestral music, most especially Romantic composers like Gustav Holst, Dmitri Shostakovich, and Gustav Mahler. Williams especially owes much of his work on Star Wars, and Indiana Jones to "The Planets" by Gustav Holst. Most especially, the opening movement "Mars," and Shostakovich's 5th Symphony. Also, listen to Mars, and then Williams "Theme from Superman." The comparisons are undeniable.

As far as the three of them bringing anything new to the table. That's for posterity to decide. Other film composer notables are Jerry Goldsmith (Star Trek films), Howard Shore (The Lord of the Rings) and James Horner (Titanic, among others) I like film music for the most part, pictures wouldn't be the same without them, but I don't think you can put film composers up there with the greats.

Yeah, Mozart is overrated.

:rolleyes:

Thank you for proving the lunacy of your posts.

Archived