Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sam Huff on Sportstalk Cleveland on Lavar

rebornempowered

Really don't want to start another Lavar thread but thought this would foster some "interesting discussion". Searched to see if other Ohio ES'ers had posted and didn't see anything.

Just got out of my car listening to the Cleveland Sportstalk station. These people want Lavar so bad it's not even funny. They are hoping it will make up for picking Brown over Lavar in the draft.

Anyway, the afternoon host just interviewed Sam Huff this afternoon. Some interesting things that were said:

He said that he never figured out why Lavar wasn't playing earlier this season.

He stated that when Lavar got back to starting the team started winning again.

Claimed he told Lavar just to run in on defense when they called for the defense on the field and to tell the coaches it was "his spot".

Referred to him as a leader on the defense that was good for the team and good in the locker room.

Some of these comments really surprised me and the one about winning again upset me because (in my opinion) CP took the team on his back during that winning streak and I feel LA had little to do with it.

Some of these comments really surprised me and the one about winning again upset me because (in my opinion) CP took the team on his back during that winning streak and I feel LA had little to do with it.

Definitely. Probably the only game I would say that Lavar completely took over and swung in our favor was the Tampa playoff game. I would say it was more of C-Po and that gelled O-Line carrying us into the playoffs moreso than Lavar.

Let Cleveland sign him. He won't do anything.

I agree, I don't remember Lavar making game changing plays. He just happened to get back on the field at the same time we started winning. I am not saying he didn't play well and do his part, but I don't remember sacks, int's, game saving tackles etc. during his time on the field. He also did play better than Holdman.

I don't care how much the fans want LaVar on their team. No matter what happens, they will still be the Browns. I mean come on do you think they believe that LaVar can single handedly turn the Browns into a contender again?

Nice...you have an announcer and HOF former Redskin telling players when to go on the field. Here's an example of the poor state the Redskins had become before the arrival of Gibbs 2..... everyone giving input and having the audacity to believe what they said was more important than the opinions of whatever coaching staff was present at the time.

That all stopped the day Gibbs was hired.... although we see remnants of that mentality every now and again. I think Lavar exhibited it from time to time the last few years... the occasional..."I'm lavar arrington... probowler... it's my birth right to start whether I'm creating negative plays that are costing us games or not" mentality. It's why he's free to sign with the Cleveland Browns.

Our winning is the result of Gibbs effectively exercorsising that mindset from the organization. It's what Gibbs wants now... what players Gibbs and staff will play... and not the owner.... reporter.... mediots.... uninformed fans.... ex-Redskin players... and Ex-Redskin HOF stadium broadcasters think or want.

That would be (and has been since his arrival here) Marcus Washington......let's not forget that.

I remember a thread on a non-Skins forum during the Dallas game, some guy who hated the skins posted "Man who is that guy on the defense who keeps signalling all the plays, and KEEPS GETTING THEM RIGHT!?"

Hehe

So, Arrington sparked our 5 game winning streak to get us into the playoffs. Lets check his stats out during those game shall we?

Total Tackles = 13 (Not 1 tackle against Arizona and Dallas)

No forced fumbles or recoveries, no INT's, and no sacks.

Nuff said.

Yeah...I also find it funny that he says we started winning when Lavar was starting again. Yeah...we beat Philly in Lavar's second start of the season (first was MNF against Dallas, but he barely played after that), but then proceeded to lose 3 in a row to TB, Oakland and San Diego. We then beat St. Louis in a game which Lavar was limited most of the 2nd quarter and 2nd half by a thigh injury, the same injury that kept him out of the next two games (the reason why he had zero tackles ;)). He was then pretty much a nonfactor in the final two games against NY and Philly.

Against Tampa in the playoffs he had more of an impact. But I believe he was already gone, and was auditioning for his new team at that point (in his head).

The point is, Huff doesn't know what he's talking about. LA really didn't have much of an impact this season...:2cents: In fact, I thought his best regular season start was the loss against Oakland.

Sam Huff is playing favs a little bit with LaVar. He was a LB LaVar is a LB you get the connection. He always liked LaVar ever since he was drafted. I think Sam is a little biased here

I guess Sam Huff can't observe and judge talent at the position he played at for so many years. Matter of fact, Sam was a pretty good LB to say the least. Of course there must be a code where LB'ers can't speak bad about other LB'ers too.

Oh, here's a few more connections...

Sam is old and Lavar is young. Sam likes corn and Lavar likes green beans. Sam is white and Lavar is...

Sheesh!! :rolleyes:

Yep, that must be it! :applause:

I agree, I don't remember Lavar making game changing plays. He just happened to get back on the field at the same time we started winning. I am not saying he didn't play well and do his part, but I don't remember sacks, int's, game saving tackles etc. during his time on the field. He also did play better than Holdman.

oh you mean intercepting the ball to get it at the 10 yard line, stopping a rb for a loss on 3 and 1 on the 5 yard line, the countless times his plays ended up a loss for the other team etc........

LA was a big reason we started winning and why the D started to make some big plays. The fact some of you sit here and try to think he didn't make an impact, ask yourself did Holdman have 1 play that you remember right now, NO

I would have to disagree with Sam Huff on his belief that LaVar is the leader of the defense.

That would be (and has been since his arrival here) Marcus Washington......let's not forget that.

Do you really think so? I'm not sure if anyone on the defense has cemented their place as the leader. If I were to pick a player that I think was the defensive leader it would be Marcus Washington or Cornelius Griffin. But it just doesn't seem clear to me anyone has snatched it up. Just my :2cents:

oh you mean intercepting the ball to get it at the 10 yard line, stopping a rb for a loss on 3 and 1 on the 5 yard line, the countless times his plays ended up a loss for the other team etc........

LA was a big reason we started winning and why the D started to make some big plays. The fact some of you sit here and try to think he didn't make an impact, ask yourself did Holdman have 1 play that you remember right now, NO

I can't remember that BIG INT he had against the Panthers either. Matter of fact, I can't remember how that INT went 50+ yds for a TD and won the game for us either. Hey, I don't remember how he led the league in sacks for LB'ers a few yrs back either. Leading tackler on a team is hard to remember too.

I mean, he has absolutely done nothing for us, right? :laugh: I think it's more than what Holdman did...though when Holdman was a starter, his name was never called. Lavar came in and had 10+ tackles in a game while Holdman was manning the same position and would be lucky to get 2 tackles and 2 assists.

I agree. It seems like people are saying that Arrington was trash, he did nothing, he'll never be as good as he was...blah, blah, blah. Lavar was a balla, and even tho it won't be wit da skins, I gotta strong feelin that LA is gonna be a monster next season.

I agree. It seems like people are saying that Arrington was trash, he did nothing, he'll never be as good as he was...blah, blah, blah. Lavar was a balla, and even tho it won't be wit da skins, I gotta strong feelin that LA is gonna be a monster next season.

Amen.

_E7T9659PG.jpg

Archived