Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Damn, I love that movie, and the soundtrack is boss : )

I never watched a single episode of the original show, maybe that has something to do with it, so there's no "they totally got it wrong" for me at all on that one.

I really don't get the hate for this one, but its like some people compare it to Gigli sometimes, I swear.

I think it's one of those things that doesn't really have anything to do with the original.  It's got nothing to do with the original Crockett and Tubbs.  It takes place in Miami, it's vice cops, that's where the similarities end.  Oh, and Michael Mann directing it.  

The movie drawing comparisons to the tv show didn't do the movie any favors.  Should have named the characters and the movie something else.  

The TV show is fantastic though, it captures a lot of the era very well.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Most viscous tv car ever imo. That sweet ivory Testarossa does some things to me.

That ivory Testarossa is awesome but the one they used in the first season, the Ferrari Daytona Spyder is what does it for me.  It's not as obnoxious.  But things got more obnoxious into the late 80s.

latest?cb=20111018074242

@Renegade7 check out the pilot I posted a few posts back, it's great.  It's a two part episode.  

That makes sense.  Sort of like people would've liked it more if it didn't pretend to be a movie adaptation of that show, which many consider a classic.  It was a good movie and did love score they used, but there is an unwritten rule to that that was broken.

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

^I actually agree with that assessment of the movie, Spiff. The only thing it kinda captured was the flashy, yet unexpectedly dark and rugged nature of the show.

That soundtrack was off the chain, though

Yes, it did capture that.  But the show is like...damn, 1980s everywhere.  It captures a time, fondly.  I don't think anyones gonna look at that movie as capturing a time.  

Fantastic soundtrack.  That song at the end where Crockett is walking into the hospital?  Forget it.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

SpecificInsistentKatydid-small.gif

The tv show, not that gump ass movie. They axed it right after the IRA firebombs Sonny's car, making him get the Testarossa, where the Jan  Hammer track introduces it to the audience.

Never forget. Never forgive.

We set Condition Zebra on Friday nights. (our house was the ship's party house)...no one was allowed in or out while it was on. Phone was turned off. Beers in the igloo cooler behind the recliner. Ashtrays emptied ahead of time. 

Serious drama. 😉

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

The Daytona was more "I'm gonna kick your ass," whereas big Tes was more like "I'm gonna kick your ads and style on you while I do it."

I gotta go with KITT as the best tv car though. 

And Knight Rider had the best opening music with Miami Vice a close 2nd.  If Busta Rhymes can use it, you know it's good.

I rode around two weekends ago playing this on loop non stop.

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yes, it did capture that.  But the show is like...damn, 1980s everywhere.  It captures a time, fondly.  I don't think anyones gonna look at that movie as capturing a time.  

I can dig it.  Maybe I'll add that to list of things to check out since so many endorsements in here.

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Fantastic soundtrack.  That song at the end where Crockett is walking into the hospital?  Forget it.

Yep, this song still gives me goosebumps sometimes.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

I can dig it.  Maybe I'll add that to list of things to check out since so many endorsements in here.

Dude, it's the best.  It's got so much good **** in there, I wasn't lying when I said it's as good as any movie.  On top of the Phil Collins stuff @Mr. Sinister mentioned, you got Rockwell/Michael Jackson "Somebody's Watching Me," super serious Edward James Olmos, an awesome bad guy, good character development, young Jimmy Smits, and awesome 80s clothes everywhere.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Oh ****, lol! I didn't know that track was sampled from Knight Rider lol.

I have not seen a single episode of that show.  Btw, shoutout to Panjabi MC. Loved that dude

I'm not sure what my favorite episode is.  There's the one where Hasselhoff finds a damsel in distress, tries to help her out, gets in trouble and the car bails him out.  Or the other episode where Hasselhoff comes across a woman in a sticky situation, is facing life or death and the car saves the day.  Or that one episode where Hasselhoff comes across a woman who's down on her luck, tries to save the day, ****s up, and the car comes in at the last minute to make it right.  Or the other episode where...

You get the idea.  It's good 80s cheese though.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I have a bunch of Patagonia shirts. Comfortable but overpriced 

I've got two of their long sleeve tshirts, they were pricey but get increasingly more comfortable after each time through the laundry.

40 minutes ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

It's not North Face or Patagonia anymore, Canada Goose is the trendy brand people are dropping $500+ on for winter jackets....i don't get the hype

Spyder is the quietly trendy brand imo. 

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Should have named the characters and the movie something else. 

They did. The movie is called Bad Boys starring Will Smith and Martin Lawrence. 

Actually I kinda agree with that. Bad Boys essentially picked up where Vice left off. Same contrast between characters (Marcus/Sonny being a bit quirky/edgy yet cop centric, Mike/Tubbs being more flashy/jovial yet off the cuff at a moments notice). Same sort of trendy yet dark overall tone, with compelling supporting cast and a healthy amount of comedy.

8 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Same concept basically. Only difference is that Marcus was married with children. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Actually I kinda agree with that. Bad Boys essentially picked up where Vice left off. Same contrast between characters (Marcus/Sonny being a bit quirky/edgy yet cop centric, Mike/Tubbs being more flashy/jovial yet off the cuff at a moments notice). Same sort of trendy yet dark overall tone, with compelling supporting cast and a healthy amount of comedy.

I can get behind it.  It's just Michael Bay.  

I think there's more comedy in Bad Boys than Miami Vice though.

Btw, though Bay has seriously ****ed some **** up over the years, he'll always have The Rock, and Bad Boys, and Black Sails was truly an awesome show, and it's a shame that it seemed kinda rushed towards the end (it's a violent, adult prologue version of the events that lead to Treasure Island)

Opening gives me chills every time.

Archived