Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Failed a class tis the season to have a miserable break/xmas/new years filled with parents saying how disappointed they are in me yay for me

Join the club man. But don't let it mess your Xmas break of man. It happened, and it ain't nothing we can do to change it. Just gotta do better next time... Chill as much as you can, and get ready for the next semester. It's going to be another war...

Basically the class that I have an 88% in I need to get an A on the final tomorrow to get an A in the class for the F to even out. And the paper I turned in last week I need to get atleast 130/150 points on that assignment to get a B in that class to even out any possible unexpected D that might pop up in another class just to be safe. Don't think Ill get a D anywhere else but just to be safe I need a B and an A in those 2 classes

Or else I'll be below a 2.00

Fellas, a ton of people fail classes.  And some even get kicked out of their area of studies colleges (i.e. engineering, mathematics, business, etc.), some out of the university all together.  You can always take a class over, my suggestion is confirm which professor is the easiest and go for that.  Also, classes over the summer are typically easier, from my experience.

Don't get down on yourself, your not failures, its just a minor set-back and hurdle in life to overcome.  My GPA one semester was 1.97, I proactively went to the engineering department admin and asked if I was on probation.  She pulled up the list, told me no and said that since it was 1.97 and so close to a 2.0, they most likely considered that a free pass.

Next semester, I had the worst professor in the college of engineering in my materials class.  I got an F.  I also had three Cs, so my GPA fell below 2.0 that semester and we could exclude a class (which dropped it from accumulating towards your GPA only - I had two of those to use).  I got a letter over the winter break telling me I was kicked out of Engineering and to select another major or take general classes for my GPA falling below 2.0 two consecutive semesters.  Couldn't use the exclusion because it was winter break and they were closed when I got my grades.

It sucked, I felt like a loser and a failure.  I went to talk to the dean of mechanical engineering and filed an appeal to be allowed back in and he took it to the board and they let me back in.  Took the class again the spring semester and made a B (different professor).  Everything will be ok and everything, for the most part is repairable.  At that point in my life, it felt like one of the most horrible things ever to happen to me.

Now, I laugh.  It's all politics.  Universities want your money, they want you to graduate so it boosts their stats and draws more interest/enrollment.  My cousin got kicked out of the entire university he was attending.  Took a year off, worked, decided he wanted to go back to college, sat down with my mom and wrote a letter to the college basically telling them why they should let him back in, they accepted him back in and he never looked back.

Yea but I'm sure I've told you guys where I stand in the past with school. I flunked out of college 3 times basically this is my 4th chance. Last semester was fine but this semester seemed really rough and I'm only 2 more semesters away from finally graduating at the old age of 24 lol. I just want to get it over with and have a career like the rest of the people my age. Don't get me wrong I love college I love free time and I love breaks and I love going to class and talking to people and having fun but I hate not having any income at 24 besides school loans and not having a legit car when I say legit I mean a car even 10 years old. I don't like not being able to make small purchases without completely depleting my funds for the month. Its a complicated relationship I have with school. I love it because of all the free time but then I want to get it over with so that I can be an adult who can provide for myself

Is it just me tho or do TAs grade way harder than normal professors any time I have a TA it is like they are trying to make a point with grading and professors just give you whatever grade you deserve but TAs take way more things into account it seems like. For example one Geo lab test that I had this semester I was sure I got an A on it. I get the grade back and its a 36%. The TA literally gave me 0/10 points on one question and she said "I need more details" But the answer is right then? So how do I not even get any points at all? This isn't math that says show your work I put down the right answer and wrote like 3 sentences and she wanted more and gave me 0 points and only said "Details" wtf. Then on some other labs that I completed that should be 50/50 like all labs I've ever had where you get credit for completing the lab and getting the right answers she would still give me like 35/50 or 37/50 without saying why like wtf you're just giving me random grades.

Yea but I'm sure I've told you guys where I stand in the past with school. I flunked out of college 3 times basically this is my 4th chance. Last semester was fine but this semester seemed really rough and I'm only 2 more semesters away from finally graduating at the old age of 24 lol. I just want to get it over with and have a career like the rest of the people my age. Don't get me wrong I love college I love free time and I love breaks and I love going to class and talking to people and having fun but I hate not having any income at 24 besides school loans and not having a legit car when I say legit I mean a car even 10 years old. I don't like not being able to make small purchases without completely depleting my funds for the month. Its a complicated relationship I have with school. I love it because of all the free time but then I want to get it over with so that I can be an adult who can provide for myself

Yeah, but if its just probation one semester, then you have another chance next semester right?  Or are you already on academic probation? 

Definitely find out your school policies as they vary school to school.  But when I was at UNCC, if you fell below a 2.0 for the semester (included all classes - even non-major) then it was academic probation, however, if your cumulative overall GPA was above a 1.5 (think that was it), then you could remain enrolled in the university and find another major or take general classes until you found one.  

Is it just me tho or do TAs grade way harder than normal professors any time I have a TA it is like they are trying to make a point with grading and professors just give you whatever grade you deserve but TAs take way more things into account it seems like. For example one Geo lab test that I had this semester I was sure I got an A on it. I get the grade back and its a 36%. The TA literally gave me 0/10 points on one question and she said "I need more details" But the answer is right then? So how do I not even get any points at all? This isn't math that says show your work I put down the right answer and wrote like 3 sentences and she wanted more and gave me 0 points and only said "Details" wtf. Then on some other labs that I completed that should be 50/50 like all labs I've ever had where you get credit for completing the lab and getting the right answers she would still give me like 35/50 or 37/50 without saying why like wtf you're just giving me random grades.

Did you go ask her why?  Ask around the class and compare answers after the test and grades with your fellow students to make sure there wasn't any bias and she was consistent in how she graded?  Then if still not satisfied, go to the professor and voice your concern?  

Never not take up for yourself or what you believe is fair.  Going and talking about it can go a long way sometimes.  I'm convinced to this very day that the C I got in a thermodynamics class was given to me because I sought out help from the professor almost every day after class, at minimum once a week.  

You didn't ask out your TA did you :D  J/K  

No I'm not on academic probation so even if I was put on it I have another semester to get it back up. I just would not want to have to deal with the pressure of that happening tho ya know? If I do go below a 2.0 it would be barely below but below is below. I really hope that it does not happen. I can't take failing again. I mean I'm assuming I failed that one class but I actually don't know yet. I got a 59% on the midterm and a 52% on the Final the only thing left for him to grade is a midterm paper that we had to do and I thought I did very well on it but I don't think that it would be enough to raise my grade to a D since I missed one other assignment that was worth 6% of my overall grade. I basically did it to myself If I had done that assignment and got a B on the paper then I'd still get a D but now idk if even I was to get an A on the paper if that would save me.

And no I didn't talk to the TA I just complained with the other kids in the class to each other since apparently she wrecked everyone on the test. I should have but it's too late now since it was the midterm.

Do any of you guys dye your hair or beard?  If you aren't that advanced in life yet, do you younger guys plan to do so in the future when that happens?

I started going grey/white hair in college (early 20s).  Now at 39, its a mix of brown/grey and white on my head, wife started calling me the Silver Fox lol.  I have a full beard and while you can see the brown and red hair in it, its starting to be predominately white.  

I'm fine with it honestly, never really gave it much thought but a couple of my friends dye their hair, one dying both their beard and head.  Part of me wants to give it a shot, not for any other reason than "why not".  I don't have any insecurity issues with being fatter, older, and my hair being grey/white/brown mix.

Honestly, being almost 40 and having a full head of hair is comforting.  *knocks on wood* Because all the men in my family had high foreheads and thinning hair lines and basically have to shave it bald.  I didn't inherit those traits, thank goodness, because they all have round heads and mine is kinda lumpy in the back lol.   

Do any of you guys dye your hair or beard?  If you aren't that advanced in life yet, do you younger guys plan to do so in the future when that happens?

I started going grey/white hair in college (early 20s).  Now at 39, its a mix of brown/grey and white on my head, wife started calling me the Silver Fox lol.  I have a full beard and while you can see the brown and red hair in it, its starting to be predominately white.  

I'm fine with it honestly, never really gave it much thought but a couple of my friends dye their hair, one dying both their beard and hair.  Part of me wants to give it a shot, not for any other reason than "why not".  I don't have any insecurity issues with being fatter, older, and my hair being grey/white/brown mix.  

I am 28 but i am getting a lot of grey hairs now and now its finally noticeable.  I was thinking about starting it but i really want to be natural and not put those harmful chemicals on my head and then they sip in your brain!

Archived