Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Stick with it man. I was going to be a Civil Engineer, then changed my mind before I transferred to UNCC, ended up going Mechanical Engineering. Got my BSME, couldn't find a job, continued working in retail for 4-5 more years, ended up getting hired on at a healthcare consulting firm, been there for 12 years and counting and love it.

A lot of places just want someone to have a 4 year degree, related to the field most of the time, but a lot of companies don't care because it shows discipline and the ability to learn/think. They can train you on what you need to know.

I can say that I never in a million years thought I'd be working in that industry. Sometimes I think that I should have stayed with Civil Engineering, mainly because my wife's uncle was part owner of a CE firm, then a VP at one and had told her it was a shame I was ME because if I was CE, he could have hooked me up with a job making fat $$$. Oh well, money isn't everything and it wasn't meant to be.

Thanks man.

Thanks man.

NP man, good luck.  It's tough, but you can do it if you put your mind to it.  One other piece of advice I give to anyone in college is this, if you have a co-op program at the school, take full advantage of it if you can.  Most of the time it's school a semester, co-op a semester, repeat.  Even if its just your senior year, do it if you can.  It gives you on job training/experience and a leg up on anyone applying for a job that didn't co-op.

In two or three interviews, I was asked up front if I did that and the answer was no.  I wanted to get done so fast I thought if I took a semester off, I'd quit school.  All my friends that co-oped ended up getting jobs very easy and a lot of them get jobs offered by the company they co-op with because they have been working there and were trained.  

Also, it pays good.  One of my buddies said he was making something like $15/hr at his co-op job, and this was back in 1997-98.  

So my wife just thumped my ass....and it felt great.

My parents told us about the "Thumper" last week, so we bought one. Deep tissue massager. Best purchase EVAR! You can do it yourself, but of course it's better having somebody else do it for you. I fell asleep last night while the wife thumped me. Please ES, make this investment, totally worth it.

That is a big ass vibrator bro lmfao.

NP man, good luck. It's tough, but you can do it if you put your mind to it. One other piece of advice I give to anyone in college is this, if you have a co-op program at the school, take full advantage of it if you can. Most of the time it's school a semester, co-op a semester, repeat. Even if its just your senior year, do it if you can. It gives you on job training/experience and a leg up on anyone applying for a job that didn't co-op.

In two or three interviews, I was asked up front if I did that and the answer was no. I wanted to get done so fast I thought if I took a semester off, I'd quit school. All my friends that co-oped ended up getting jobs very easy and a lot of them get jobs offered by the company they co-op with because they have been working there and were trained.

Also, it pays good. One of my buddies said he was making something like $15/hr at his co-op job, and this was back in 1997-98.

What is a co-op? Sorry for the noob question.

What is a co-op? Sorry for the noob question.

I don't know what they call it now or at your college.  But its basically a program that is offered through the college/university where companies participate in hiring college students to work for them for the entire semester, usually in their Junior/Senior years.  For example, at UNCC, they had the co-op program and my friends that were part of that, would alternate semesters working/schooling.  

So they might be working for 18 weeks at an engineering firm the fall semester, then the winter semester they took classes.  Then summer work, fall classes, winter work, etc. etc.  Since they were working at engineering firms, they were getting experience, and paid.  

The only thing about it is that it will take you longer to finish up, because you are working 40 hours with no classes for that semester in rotation.  So, it could make a 4 year degree take 6 if you started in your Junior year.  However, when you get your degree and start applying for jobs, you have two years experience in your field already under your belt.

And, depending on the company that you co-oped with, a lot of times they will extend job offers when you graduate, or you will get a leg up if you apply there.  You have already worked for them and been trained.

Now, I made the decision that if I didn't just go all out and do school all year, including summers, that I would end up dropping out because I was already getting burned out.  If I had it to do over, I would have participated in the co-op program, but hindsight is 20/20.  and its not to say that you won't get a job if you just school it, nor will it guarantee anything, but it definitely can help your chances as it beefs up your resume and gets your foot in the door for more opportunities.  

That is correct! I work from home now, and y'all just made me miss working at the office because there was a soul food restaurant less than a mile from it, I used to tear that **** up on lunch breaks (or dinner breaks :D). Now I want fried chicken, mac n cheese, taters, cornbread and blackeyed peas.........and I haven't eaten lunch yet........thanks you two!

You talkin bout Clyde's?

Where is Clyde's? I used to hit up Nana's Soul Food off Tyvola at Billy Graham, near The Hive. The owner there was great man, he actually opened up a pizza place two stores over with another partner. Great guy, great food.

I'm not sure actually. I just know people used to talk about that place all the time.

I'm not sure actually. I just know people used to talk about that place all the time.

One of my co-workers would always say that he would take me to a real soul food place lol, never got the name though.  You ever hit up Price's Chicken Coop on Camden?  Greasy as hell, ****ing great though.  Peeps would be lining up out in the road to get in the place lol.

21 Jump Street is not available on Netflix which angers me. These days all the newer films are on ITunes / Google Play anyway so 

That's one movie I will watch eventually

Yeah, I had to watch it through Vudu.  That's how they get you man, when a sequel comes out.  It won't be available, so you can rent it or buy it through itunes/google/vudu/amazon/etc.  

Orange is the New Black...the black chick with **** knot braids is crazy as hell

She has a scene in the last episode of season 2 which is ****ing amazing. Amazing acting. The entire show is great.

Netflix nailed it with House of Cards and Orange.

Archived