Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-facebook-privacy-20120202,0,74780.story

If you had 800 million friends, you'd think you'd be worry-free. But Facebook isn't.

As part of its plans to go public, the popular social network has spelled out its worst nightmares — a litany of scenarios in which its unmatched success in social networking is gnawed at by federal regulators, adverse media coverage, widespread privacy concerns, rampant hacker attacks, unseen flaws in its technology and, worst of all, unhappy users.

"It just struck me about how aware they are of their vulnerabilities," Ryan Calo, director of privacy at Stanford Law School's Center for Internet & Society, said after reading the 150-page document Facebook Inc. filed with federal regulators Wednesday to start its path toward an initial public offering of stock.

Many of Facebook's most serious concerns arise from a tension at the core of its business: ensuring the privacy of its customers while also using what it knows about them to court advertisers.

www.facebook.com

Since 2004

I know that, but 8 years isn't that long. Alot of social networking sites are fads. Alot of internet sites are fads. Look at Yahoo! for example. Just not convinced Facebook will be around for the next 20 years or anything.

I just don't understand how the value can/will really increase that much.

I agree. And what does this mean for everyone's info on Facebook? Will investors be able to see all of it?

Archived