Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Interesting article in the Post about the decline of sushi standards in America

This cultural difference — the hard-wired fastidiousness of Japan vs. the Hollywood casualness of America — might help explain why Okochi feels glum about the future of authentic sushi. Americans might just not care all that much. They might prefer the wide-open freedoms of maki rolls, whose big flavors and boundless creativity are more aligned with America’s image of itself.

The roll, as Trevor Corson points out in his 2008 paperback, “The Story of Sushi: An Unlikely Saga of Raw Fish and Rice,” is a U.S. invention, “considered the key innovation that made sushi accessible to Americans.”

When I spoke with Corson by phone, he sympathized with Okochi about the future of sushi in America and even suggested that the future may already be here. The author sees no death of high-end restaurants, where the 1 percenters will still revel in the genuine experience. The loss will continue to occur at mid-grade sushi houses, where the standards have slipped, if indeed there were any to begin with. The subtle interactions of seasoned rice and fresh fish have been reduced to cartoonish wallops of wasabi and soy sauce.

Today I worked with a man he has had several encounters with paranormal activity and demons. He said it destroyed his family. Wrote a book about it and had a deal in place for a movie to be made about his life. He's been on several tv and radio shows telling about his life. It kind of freaked me out. Having said that, I don't buy into the whole ghost thing, I just don't. It would take a first hand account for me to start believing in that kind of thing and even then, I'd still be skeptical. But, he was a very, very nice dude and fun to work with.

Here is his website if anyone is into that kind of thing.

www.billbean.net

Am I the only one who noticed that Comcast charges $4.99 per month for their new "30 minutes or less" policy? So, if they miss time my "appointment" once, I get a $20 credit. But, that would have already beat me for $60 on the year. So I'd be $40 in the hole!

How are they able to get away with this?

It's hilarious that the NFL even considers moving the Super Bowl to London in the near future. Why in the world would you want to do that?

Because they can???

Add-On: How would that work time wise? Would the Super Bowl have to be played at 8:00PM London 4:00est. That would suck for people in the pacific.

I don't see a problem with it. It's not like the game is meant for the common NFL fan anymore. I heard on the radio that the avg ticket price right now is like $4,000.

Exactly. How many actual fans of those teams do you think will be there? Maybe half the stadium with real fans and the other half filled with corporate suits.

Doesn't matter if the game was here or London, it would be sold out and millions of people would watch on TV.

The Super Bowl is a neutral site, so location wouldn't/shouldn't matter. I actually wouldn't mind the Super Bowl being taken overseas/North/South of the border every year, or every 3 years.

Seems like they alternate between 5-6 US sites anyways (Tampa, Miami, Glendale, New Orleans, etc).

I wouldn't mind seeing the Super Bowl played in Brazil, Tokyo, Osaka, places like that. Just a thought.

No, the Super Bowl shouldn't be brought overseas. It's a huge boost to the economy in the cities that host it. The NFL is an American Sports League. Let's allow American cities to profit from it.

I agree on some level.

I also agree that it shouldn't matter where they play.

I am on the fence clearly.

The NFL wants to market itself to the world. The NFL has a responsibility to help the cities profit.

Plenty of other cities should have a chance to hold a super bowl before they start going all over the world.

At the same time...where the game is played should not matter at all. The NFL requires a certain amount of hotels available, but prefers the warmer or domed stadium areas.

I would even go as far to suggest that the NFL plays in Las Vegas for the Super Bowl or in Hawaii with the Pro Bowl in Las Vegas.

One issue that really isn't hard to overlook, but could be a huge factor in keeping the Super Bowl in the US, would be fan interest from abroad, which clearly isn't anywhere near the level that it is in the US. Although the fact that a higher stakes game would draw slightly more, it still would not be enough. It would still be cool to see it played in another country though.

Archived