College football

- Not a wine and cheese atmosphere

- Actual rivalry

- Players playing for love of game

- Different offenses instead of the same "pro" offense every team runs

Listen

I used to be like you all

I used to hate on college football and single out the BCS

But when every game matters as it does in college football, it is hard to say that the NFL is better. College football has this amazing tendency of inspiring teams to win. If you lose, you might be out of the championship race. If you lose 2 games you are done (unless you are LSU)

So I stand by my comments. When the NFL goes away, I will just watch college football.

One concern I have seen is how overrated the NFL has become. There are sports other than the NFL. The world does not revolve around the National football league. There is hockey, there is baseball. We will cope if the league disappears and locks out. We will survive.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 05:51 PM ----------

Now one thing I couldn't cope with was the NHL lockout

****, the mere absence of that postseason drove me mad and angered me greatly. Luckily they play some world tournament every year with Canada being involved which somehow provided a brief "'playoff" fix. But yeah, that season sucked.

If the NBA, NASCAR, or NFL locked out I wouldn't miss it. If MLB or the NHL locked out I'd go mad.

I'll end the nonsense in ix's post:

a) Really? What NFL games are you going to? There will always be wine and cheese FANS but the NFL sure as hell is not wine and cheese. NFL games get ugly and the fans are diehard, come hours early for tailgating just like college fans except they have to do much more to get there than walk across the campus.

B) When has OSU-Mich been intriguing in the last how many seasons? Colts-Pats has provided better games over the last 5 + years than any NCAA rivalry. You say 2007 Fiesta Bowl, I say Superbowl 42, 43 and 45.

c) Ha, yes because NFL players go out there and get their bodies shredded for the hell of it. Money helps but if you don't think after say, watching Greg Jennings win the Superbowl, that those players don't love it, you're drunk. Ray Lewis...loves football. London Fletcher...loves football. By the way, all these players came from college so at exactly what point did they stop loving a game tey'vep layed since high school or earlier? The combine? The draft? Week 1 of rookie year? If you do something professionally, you love it. Did Wayne Gretzky not love playing hockey after he left the junior leagues? Also, they get free tuition, a boatload of perks and illegal gifts.

d) Yes, losing one game = no championship. How stupid is that? It just proves how much of a failure the BCS is. Playoffs prove the best team, because the best team is the team that shows up when it matters most.

e) No offense is the same at all, hence why QB's succeed and suffer on different teams. Hence why Todd Collins succeeded in 07 as an old man. But I do know 60-14 football games are a joke and that there is almost no defense in NCAAFB.

As for the NHL, an NHL lockout would be horrible indeed I agree but college hockey would get me through personally. World Juniors is ok but the best players don't even play anyway. A BU vs. BC or New Hampshire vs. Maine is far more entertaining. But I overall 100% agree, no hockey would suck...alot.

Busy watching people serve soda on TV out of a futuristic computer soda machine in a Popeye's in Chantily, Virginia

Wow

The future is here

Will reply later to that long anti-college football rant

=------

Damn if I had cable you know I'd be watching Food, Travel and HGTV all day

thank you sticks. you basically said everything i wanted to mention. gimmick offense exist in ncaa, bad field goal kickers, so much **** is wrong

Tell me what these "gimmick offenses" you're talking about are. I'm curious.

Bad field goal kickers is a distinct problem in college football? Uhhh....what?

The NFL has vastly superior athletes, actual defense, isn't littered by a thousand irrelevant bowl games every year and has playoffs. What am I missing? Yeah college football rivalries are older but so what? Bears-Packers, Skins-Boys etc. are plenty good and with plenty of history. The "emotion" thing is hysterical too. We all saw Bart Scott after the Jets beat New England. People really think the vast majority of NFL players don't play with passion and pride and because they love the game? College kids don't get paid...what do you call free tuition and an unbelievable amount of perks for four years? Not to mention illegal benefits most players at top programs obviously get.

College basketball, sloppy as it is, I can understand because the tournament ***** on the NBA Playoffs and there's no parity in the NBA anyway. I can easily see the NCAAB > NBA argument though I don't 100% agree.

College football though, just don't see it.

/end rant

and yes, that is just my opinion, not fact at all.

What is this "actual defense" claim you're making for the NFL over NCAA? Besides the fact that that's not actually quantifiable, you're also using that to defend a league in which people have been loudly complaining the past few years about rules being changed to open up scoring even more and favor longer offensive possessions with more points.

As far as the rivalry factor goes, I think you're kidding yourself if you think that on average, NFL fan bases treat their rivalries as passionately as college fan bases. Especially in the South. And that also extends to players. Yeah, some emotional players like a Bart Scott or Ray Lewis might get into it when it's a legitimately big game for the playoffs, but as a whole, this idea that the Redskins roster has a ton of guys who hate the Cowboys or the Bears are full of guys who can't stand the Packers is just a fan delusion more than anything else. That's the team signing their paycheck and the fanbase buying their jersey, so they go with it. The FA era ended a lot of that for guys.

Meanwhile, the BCS and random bowls might be out of hand, but at least it gives fans something to continue cheering for through the final game of the season. Why don't you ask Rdsk4Lyf why he even cared about going to Detroit to watch FIU win their first ever bowl game? It was just the irrelevant Little Ceaser's Bowl right? Meanwhile, about a quarter of the NFL teams were eliminated from any playoff hope by the first week of December (and another quarter were about to be eliminated) and we were all sitting around deciding on whether we wanted the Skins to lose out to get a better draft pick or play as hard as possible while getting young guys some experience, since the Skins were done too. What fun that was!

And when there isn't any pro football going on through the summer and possibly into the start of the season, let's not forget this whole CBA thing that's a big part of this as well.

I said you can't say that the NFL is definitely better than NCAA football. They both have pros and cons over the other. College football certainly isn't a perfect set-up by any means. But it's also flat out ignorance of college ball to say that it doesn't stack up to NFL football.

a) Really? What NFL games are you going to? There will always be wine and cheese FANS but the NFL sure as hell is not wine and cheese. NFL games get ugly and the fans are diehard, come hours early for tailgating just like college fans except they have to do much more to get there than walk across the campus.

You''ll never see a NFL atmosphere as frantic as a college football atmosphere. Never.

College football has tons of historic venues. Rocky Top, Tennessee. Bryant - Denney. Lane Stadium. Even that FSU stadium with that guy on the horse dropping the spear, tons of tradition. Football in the South has an amazing atmosphere, while in the Northeast there generally is less passion and interest. BCs stadium holds like 30,000. "Alumni Field" or whatever. Lol.

BTW...a ton of Southern stadiums vastly outnumber the NFL in terms of capacity. 100,000 Neyland...110,000 Michigan Big House, etc

B) When has OSU-Mich been intriguing in the last how many seasons? Colts-Pats has provided better games over the last 5 + years than any NCAA rivalry. You say 2007 Fiesta Bowl, I say Superbowl 42, 43 and 45.

Yeah, but that's not the only rivalry in college football. Bunch of other obscure ones like that WVU Pitt game where WVU could have gone to the championship game had they won and they lost to Pitt (or something like that)

Backyard Brawl / UF - UGA / UGA - GT / FSU - Miami etc

c) Ha, yes because NFL players go out there and get their bodies shredded for the hell of it. Money helps but if you don't think after say, watching Greg Jennings win the Superbowl, that those players don't love it, you're drunk. Ray Lewis...loves football. London Fletcher...loves football. By the way, all these players came from college so at exactly what point did they stop loving a game tey'vep layed since high school or earlier? The combine? The draft? Week 1 of rookie year? If you do something professionally, you love it. Did Wayne Gretzky not love playing hockey after he left the junior leagues? Also, they get free tuition, a boatload of perks and illegal gifts.

Too lazy to reply

d) Yes, losing one game = no championship. How stupid is that? It just proves how much of a failure the BCS is. Playoffs prove the best team, because the best team is the team that shows up when it matters most.

I'd say it's more incentive for a team to go undefeated, when they have something to play for, when every game means something. You don't want teams to clinch early and then rest starters. You know, like the NFL does for weeks 16 and 17? Last year it got really bad when teams started to quit Weeks 16 and 17 because playoff spots were clinched.

e) No offense is the same at all, hence why QB's succeed and suffer on different teams. Hence why Todd Collins succeeded in 07 as an old man. But I do know 60-14 football games are a joke and that there is almost no defense in NCAAFB.

Now I'm no draft expert but I see these talking heads talking all the time about college offenses and how experienced the QB will be when he runs a "pro Offense", like Colt McCoy last year, they were talking about whether he will run a pro offense.

Not experienced or knowledgable enough to go into depth about QB's

Week 17:

Jets over Bills, 38 to 7. Patriots over Dolphins, 38 to 7. Steelers over Browns, 41 to 9. Great rivalry match ups!

Week 13:

Vikings over Bills, 38 to 14. Giants over Redskins, 31 to 7. Packers over 49ers, 34 to 16. Patriots over Jets, 45 to 3.

Week 12:

Chiefs over Seahawks, 42 to 24. Chargers over Colts, 34 to 16. Patriots over Lions, 45 to 24.

Should I even bring up that excruciating Eagles/Redskins game at FedEx?

All I did there was click on a few weeks of scores on the NFL.com site and could simply scroll down to see different blow outs, several of which were in divisional rivalry games.

So keep making that point on behalf of the NFL if you want. Or the "NFL has defense" one. That's a good one.

Spartacus - just because you play a team twice a year doesn't make it a true rivalry. Dolphins-Patriots is not a rivalry.

Ix, I don't go to BC. Screw BC.

2010 Michigan 7 Ohio State 37

2009 Michigan 10 Ohio State 21

2008 Michigan 7 Ohio State 42

2007 Michigan 3 Ohio State 14

Florida-Georgia

Oct. 31, 2009 Florida 41-17

Nov. 1, 2008 Florida 49-10

I can find random blowouts also.

I won't argue NCAA FB doesn't have better rivalries just like NCAA basketball and hockey...but there are plenty of great rivalry games in the NFL. You'll also get no arguments about atmosphere. I'm simply saying the NFL is not wine and cheese like the majority of the NBA though fans have softened up, especially in Philly where the Vet made any stadium in any sport look like a haven.

Also, since when is Chiefs/Seahawks a rivalry?

One game ending 3-2 doesn't negate the many matchups per week that end 70-20 or 45-3. In the NFL, any team can win any Sunday. Not the case in NCAA FB.

10 different NFC teams have made the Superbowl the last decade. 5 new teams made the playoffs from the year before for like the umpteenth time in a row or maybe the 15th time or whatever they said on NFL Live. Since the BCS Championship Game began...the same teams over and over...USC, Florida, LSU, OSU, Oklahoma and Miami have all been in the game more than once.

I'll watch college FB sometimes but it wouldn't replace the NFL...Again this is my opinion and you are obviously more than entitled to yours and that's quite OK if we don't agree.

To end the debate once and for all

NFL Pro

Popular league

Appealing league

Parity

Actual playoff

NFL Con

Atmosphere

PSL

Teams giving up and benching players for weeks 16 and 17 after winning a division or clinching playoffs

NCAA Pro

Rivalry

Atmosphere

Deeper fan ties with their alma mater

NCAA Con

BCS

Disparity

There are probably more but I'm extremely tired and can't think properly

I must have the vitality of an 80 year old

Ol Grampa Ix has to go to bed soon

So tired

Wed night, I was tending bar and after getting a candle thrown at him, Bam chased the couple into the street, where they ran him over with their car.

The next morning, I was working again. He came in to have a few bloodies and we were talking about how they want him to be on dancing with the stars and he didn't want to, because he didn't want to look like a fool. In his own words he said "I have had anal beads ripped out of my ass, by a helicopter and yet I think dancing would be more embarrassing". Pretty funny. When I told him I knew how to dance and loved it, he dared me to dance with his girlfriend for 30 seconds, for $50. I put on some Chuck Berry and made the money.

It's been an interesting week.

Any of you guys playing NCAA 11 on the PS3? I could use a good tuneup game.;)

Ugh, not even close :doh:

Too impatient, should've had the cojones to onsides kick after the

score at the start of the 4th quarter.

Abandoned the running game too quickly.

Killer Int in the redzone to add insult to cap it.

The turnover machine known as Jacory Harris delivers oce again :silly:

Good game

Ugh, not even close :doh:

Too impatient, should've had the cojones to onsides kick after the

score at the start of the 4th quarter.

Abandoned the running game too quickly.

Killer Int in the redzone to add insult to cap it.

The turnover machine known as Jacory Harris delivers oce again :silly:

Good game

:ols:

That might've been my best game ever with Murray. That juke on that 75 yard run was SICKKKKKK. Damn EA didn't show the whole replay. :(

EDIT: I had one incompletion? lmao. Never will happen again.

I'm watching this documentary right now called Cocaine Cowboys, about the cocaine trade and ensuing drug war in Miami in the early 80s....maybe the most compelling documentary I've ever seen.

Pretty unbelievable stuff in this.

And a lot of it takes place within about 20 minutes of me.

:ols:

That might've been my best game ever with Murray. That juke on that 75 yard run was SICKKKKKK.(

Wait, was that the same run where the obviously biased AI allowed you to break every tackle like Jerome Bettis? :silly:

Yeah, that was pretty impressive.

---------- Post added February-12th-2011 at 01:04 AM ----------

I'm watching this documentary right now called Cocaine Cowboys, about the cocaine trade and ensuing drug war in Miami in the early 80s....maybe the most compelling documentary I've ever seen.

I've watched it a dozen times. Definitely one of my favorites. Miami was a warzone back then.

Make sure you check out Cocaine Cowboys 2. It's about this lady that was a big coke dealer in Miami back then. I forget her name but they called her the Black Widow because she put hits out on I think two of her husbands after they pissed her off. She was big time. It's not nearly as good as the first imo, but it's still a very good watch.

Archived