Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

I want this dog.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaIS7E_B9wQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaIS7E_B9wQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I really want to start my first book. I have the idea, and the storyline basically laid out. But that damned blank white screen...it's like sticking my toe in a pool of sharks.

Start with "it was the best of times, it was the blurst of times. . ."

I really want to start my first book. I have the idea, and the storyline basically laid out. But that damned blank white screen...it's like sticking my toe in a pool of sharks.

Did you do an outline?

(sometimes I make them, sometimes I like to let the book write itself.

Although an outline is helpful when you already know how you want it to go and don't want to forget.)

Maybe think of something catchy or mysterious to start with to reel in the reader and then try to just let it flow from there.

Start with "it was the best of times, it was the blurst of times. . ."

Haha.

I really do want a zinger right off the bat. I think that's why I'm struggling with it some. It's going to be a comedy about a group of poor Alabama kids who get together and end up entering a car in the Daytona 500.

I have a much more serious topic I intend to write about someday, but I want to use this one to kind of get my feet wet, so to speak.

Did you do an outline?

(sometimes I make them, sometimes I like to let the book write itself.

Although an outline is helpful when you already know how you want it to go and don't want to forget.)

Maybe think of something catchy or mysterious to start with to reel in the reader and then try to just let it flow from there.

No, I haven't. Maybe I should, but I've never done very well with a rigid structure. I've written a few times, just for my family (my granddad's life history is my favorite so far), and in those cases, I've let the story write itself. I knew where I wanted it to go (and where it DID go) but I just let the process flow.

It's very much going to be a character study in the context of a comedy. Like I said, I'm looking for that zinger that draws the reader into the main character right off the bat. It'll hit me eventually. I'm probably overthinking it.

Anyway, would you mind if I stayed in touch with you on this? I know you've been successful in the field, and I would really appreciate the opportunity to bounce some things off of you from time to time.

Haha.

I really do want a zinger right off the bat. I think that's why I'm struggling with it some. It's going to be a comedy about a group of poor Alabama kids who get together and end up entering a car in the Daytona 500.

I have a much more serious topic I intend to write about someday, but I want to use this one to kind of get my feet wet, so to speak.

Hmmm. You could start with something exciting.

Maybe they all witness a car crash or some amazing feat of driving that inspires them. Or they're in a drag race or something.

(or racing while in drag...no wait, that sounds weird :D)

Or you could have it start out looking like someone's racing, but then reveal that they're really just watching it on tv, or watching someone else race and wishing it were them.

No, I haven't. Maybe I should, but I've never done very well with a rigid structure. I've written a few times, just for my family (my granddad's life history is my favorite so far), and in those cases, I've let the story write itself. I knew where I wanted it to go (and where it DID go) but I just let the process flow.

It's very much going to be a character study in the context of a comedy. Like I said, I'm looking for that zinger that draws the reader into the main character right off the bat. It'll hit me eventually. I'm probably overthinking it.

Anyway, would you mind if I stayed in touch with you on this? I know you've been successful in the field, and I would really appreciate the opportunity to bounce some things off of you from time to time.

I'd love to be of help.

On the other hand I wouldn't say I've been successful.

To be honest I've never had anything published.

(other than a couple of times in the Montgomery College newspaper)

Although that might be because I only ever sent things in twice.

Also I don't know a lot about racing.

With that in mind though, I'd be glad to help in any way that I can. :)

Hmmm. You could start with something exciting.

Maybe they all witness a car crash or some amazing feat of driving that inspires them. Or they're in a drag race or something.

(or racing while in drag...no wait that sounds weird :D)

Or you could have it start out looking like someone's racing, but then reveal that they're really just watching it on tv, or watching someone else race and wishing it were them.

That's the basic idea.

Quick overview.

The economy gets worse, and impacts NASCAR even more than it already has...to the point where there aren't enough cars to fill the fields. These buddies get together, and decide "why not us?" One is a sheet metal fabricator for furnaces. Another works in a dealerships service center. Another has an aunt that owns an adult toy shop (their eventual sponsor.) And they bust their collective *** to try to finish 42nd out of 43 in the Daytona 500.

Right now, my idea is to have them getting together to watch the 500, a year before they enter. The announcer before the race details how badly the economy has affected the sport. And then the "are you thinking what I'm thinking?" thing takes over.

visionary, who are the hotties in your sig? :ladiesman

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2125623/

Bridget Regan is the one on both sides with the dark hair.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3T1WIdCAPY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3T1WIdCAPY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3248988/

Tabrett Bethell is the one with blond hair.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSOsjssKSGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSOsjssKSGo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

They both play in the tv series, Legend Of The Seeker.

(which is being canceled after this season I think)

That's the basic idea.

Quick overview.

The economy gets worse, and impacts NASCAR even more than it already has...to the point where there aren't enough cars to fill the fields. These buddies get together, and decide "why not us?" One is a sheet metal fabricator for furnaces. Another works in a dealerships service center. Another has an aunt that owns an adult toy shop (their eventual sponsor.) And they bust their collective *** to try to finish 42nd out of 43 in the Daytona 500.

Right now, my idea is to have them getting together to watch the 500, a year before they enter. The announcer before the race details how badly the economy has affected the sport. And then the "are you thinking what I'm thinking?" thing takes over.

Sounds interesting.

I've got to go now, but I'll check back later to see if you have any questions.

You might want to send me a pm or something though if you have any specific things that you need help with.

Sounds interesting.

I've got to go now, but I'll check back later to see if you have any questions.

You might want to send me a pm or something though if you have any specific things that you need help with.

Cool, thanks. Will do!

Take care. :cheers:

hmm, I've never seen the "track this bill" stamp on any money before. Just got one of them on a $1 included in my change at Best Buy. So I go to the site it lists, www.wheresgeorge.com and I find out the bill has traveled from Alabama to get to my possession. Pretty cool, I like the idea.

Been around for years. Maybe 10 years. I have never tracked the few that I come across and wonder who stamps them ?

Archived