Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Abraham for Ramsey? Deal in the works, per Tony K? (Rumor)

MorgantownHokie88

"This wouldn't be shocking. What would be surprising though is if it was a straight up trade. I'd imagine we'd need to sweeten the pot with a draft choice. Abraham has shown a hell of a lot more than Ramsey and it's not like he plays long snapper. Pass-rushing ends are HARD to come by."

true enough....but it's hard to come by QBs.

first off the CBA is def. getting extended, second abraham could fill a much needed position for us and just imagine how creative greg williams can get when we can get pressure with just four lineman (see second dallas game and bucs game). if this deal is straight up ramsey for abraham we stole another young superstar from them....

Tony has football writers on all the time, so it is possible a legitimate source mentioned it, without hearing it, no way to know if it was possible something in the works, or speculation.

I do know in a Sports Nation Chat, when the Jets were interested in acquiring a QB, the writer suggested we could get Abraham's and a pick/ or a second player, for Ramsey...... stating a starting QB is more valuable than a starting DE.

"This wouldn't be shocking. What would be surprising though is if it was a straight up trade. I'd imagine we'd need to sweeten the pot with a draft choice. Abraham has shown a hell of a lot more than Ramsey and it's not like he plays long snapper. Pass-rushing ends are HARD to come by."

true enough....but it's hard to come by QBs.

If this were a healthy Drew Brees for John Abraham then I'd say the Jets would be the ones who would need to sweeten the pot.

The reality of the situation is that we're weighing a proven commodity vs. a commodity with some promise and upside but little consistency. That would matter to most teams. Hopefully the QB position + the promise is enough to level the playing field but I don't see a defensive coach subscribing to that point of view. Most coaches believe that the players who can get after QBs are the hardest to come by on that side of the ball. Almost as hard as the players they are chasing after.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets224636835feb22,0,4377264.story?coll=ny-jets-print

Patrick Ramsey - QB - Redskins

The Jets have engaged in discussions with the Redskins about Patrick Ramsey.

Many observers believe the Jets are targeting Jay Cutler with the fourth pick in the Draft. In that scenario, they would acquire a mid-level like Ramsey or Jon Kitna to pair with him. Chad Pennington would be released. Feb. 22 - 12:03 pm et

Source: Newsday

...... stating a starting QB is more valuable than a starting DE.

well of course. as long as it's apples to apples.

A pro bowl QB is much more valuable than a pro bowl DE.

But a 2nd string QB (who is starting behind a non pro-bowl QB) -vs- a pro bowl DE? That writer needs to put down the crack pipe.

first off the CBA is def. getting extended, second abraham could fill a much needed position for us and just imagine how creative greg williams can get when we can get pressure with just four lineman (see second dallas game and bucs game). if this deal is straight up ramsey for abraham we stole another young superstar from them....

He's not THAT young. Also, I just don't understand how the 'Skins can afford him. He will most likely be the highest paid DE in football (assuming another team makes a move for him).

The only way this is a possibility is if he REALLY WANTS to be a Redskin and is willing to sign some sort of "cap friendly" deal, which I seriously doubt he is looking to do. But, the 'Skins' front office has worked wonders before.

If they are giving Abraham serious consideration, I don't think this bodes well for Arrington and his future as a Redskin.

This wouldn't be shocking. What would be surprising though is if it was a straight up trade. I'd imagine we'd need to sweeten the pot with a draft choice.

I am tired of giving up draft choices! We need to keep our picks and develop them into strong players. That's one of the reason's why 2005 was our first playoff appearance in six years. Too much dependancy on big-named, "sexy" players and not enough on grooming from within your own house.

I heard it this morning driving to work. This would be great for us, but now that he's got the franchise tag he could cost us more.:logo:

But, I bet he would look better in B&G.

Abraham is not going to sign the franchise tender because if he does he gives up his right to veto any trade. He won't sign and someone will work a sign and trade. Ramsey and a our 2nd or 3rd should be sufficient. Like Die Hard said, the Jets are trying to unload cap money and losing a $9 mil player in exchange for a starting caliber QB (only 1.75 cap hit) and a 2nd round pick would leave them pretty well off. Everybody knows Abraham doesn't want to be there and that they can't afford him so no one is going to give them the first round picks. We have some leverage here and it shouldn't be too unrealistic to work out a deal that's fairly painless and fair for both parties. How we get Abraham signed to a new contract is another matter, altogether. I can only assume that if talks have started either a) our FO knows something about an imminent CBA extension that we don't or B) our cap situation isn't nearly what it's been made out to be. It is a little strange, however, that we're one week from the start of FA and we don't appear to be negotiating with anyone in an effort to get under the cap. Where are the Post/Times reporters to tell us what's going on? Given the time of year there has to be something significant going on at Redskins Park but we haven't heard a peep about anything.

How we get Abraham signed to a new contract is another matter, altogether. I can only assume that if talks have started either a) our FO knows something about an imminent CBA extension that we don't or B) our cap situation isn't nearly what it's been made out to be. It is a little strange, however, that we're one week from the start of FA and we don't appear to be negotiating with anyone in an effort to get under the cap.
Exactly. If this turns out to be true, this would tell me that the CBA/cap situation is way better than it appears to be. Then again, the deal could be contingent on the CBA getting worked out.

Okay, now 980 said it will be a trade, Ramsey for Abraham, with no mention of anything/anyone else. Are these 980 guys just spurting stuff out, or is this deal getting close to done? Every commercial break they have something more specific to add to the report.

Okay, now 980 said it will be a trade, Ramsey for Abraham, with no mention of anything/anyone else. Are these 980 guys just spurting stuff out, or is this deal getting close to done? Every commercial break they have something more specific to add to the report.
That's crazy. This can not be true. How can we afford this???

Exactly. If this turns out to be true, this would tell me that the CBA/cap situation is way better than it appears to be. Then again, the deal could be contingent on the CBA getting worked out.

It's so hard to tell. Even the scout section on Warpath has done a complete flip flop this week. Earlier in the week they were inclined to agree with Fatsquarelli that we would be playing 15-20 minimum salary rookies if there was no CBA extension. Then, today, their capologist puts out an article showing how we could get under the cap without cutting anyone significant and that we can additionally get money for free agents if LA and MB agree to slight reductions in pay. WTF is going on? We now have sources telling us anything from still being a mid level player in free agency w/o a CBA to having to cut a bunch of starters and sign undrafted rookies because there's no CBA. It's extremely difficult to tell what the hell is actually going on. If we are talking to the Jets, though, that would lead me to believe we're looking pretty good. Do we have actual confirmation from anywhere that the two sides have begun talks?

Archived