Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Palestinian PM quits after apparent Hamas win

Thiebear

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11009552/

Palestinian PM quits after apparent Hamas win

Peace efforts in doubt; Hamas says recognizing Israel ‘not on our agenda’

(partial)

RAMALLAH, West Bank - Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia and his Cabinet ministers submitted their resignations Thursday as the Islamic militant group Hamas appeared to have captured a large majority of seats in the Palestinian elections — a shocking upset sure to throw Middle East peacemaking into turmoil.

“This is the choice of the people. It should be respected,” Qureia said. “If it’s true (the results), then the president should ask Hamas to form a new government. For me, personally, I sent my resignation.”

Under the law, Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas must ask the largest party in the new parliament — presumably Hamas — to form the next government. Abbas was elected separately a year ago and remains president.

Well, I guess if you don't want to be a state and you ensure your people are not informed on the latest.... You get this!

They were SO CLOSE and now they will have to wait again to be free.

(Whose going to cause Israel to snap? Palestine/Iran)...

Doesn't Hamas have terrorist ties? If so' date=' this cannot be good for future negotiations/relations with the US.[/quote']

Yes! This IS NOT good. This will cause major problems over there, and will eventually cause significant problems here. This was very bad news.

Doesn't Hamas have terrorist ties? If so' date=' this cannot be good for future negotiations/relations with the US.[/quote']

Ties?

They ARE a terrorist organization.

If I recall correctly, it was one of their mass meetings where they did the Hitler salute while pledging Israel's destruction.

They do some other work as a lame cover for their terrorism. In fact, only when you're killing Jews would such a cover ever work (oh well, we treat the sick--and blow up lots of Jews, so we're not really all bad.)

Yes, Hamas is really really bad. This probably means giving up the Gaza will have been a mistake. It'll be taken as an act of weakness. When Hamas sponsors terrorism now Israel can officially claim it as an act of war and they might.

Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. Many of us are frustrated with the choice of Republican versus Democrat. Imagine having to choose between Hamas and Fatah.

Yes, Hamas is really really bad. This probably means giving up the Gaza will have been a mistake. It'll be taken as an act of weakness. When Hamas sponsors terrorism now Israel can officially claim it as an act of war and they might.

Interesting point on the act of war!

I do not think giving up Gaza will have been a mistake. It is becoming more and more obvious that Palestenians are not capable of peaceful coexistance with Israel. This means separation is the only answer. Giving up Gaza during more or less peaceful times was good imho. Unfortunately it did not work as far as swaying the Palestenian public. However, it did set a precedent for unilateral withdrawal and allowed Israel all kinds of moral ground when it comes to retaliation for attacks. Maybe a seed with moderate Palestenians has been planted also, but I wouldn't count on it.

No chance we stay out of it.

I agree with Alex that the withdrawal from Gaza instantly gives the Israelis the moral high ground (and I said this during those debates) from which to launch retaliations when (not if, but when) the Terrorstinians do what they do.

Everyone knows the story of the frog and scorpion right?

I have been hoping for this for 5 years now!!

Hamas always was able to launch terror attacks under the admiring gaze of Arafat and the PLO. and the PLO would turn around and say, "well, you have to deal with us or else you get Hamas"

then they would encourage Hamas to launch more terror attacks.

now for the first time the MASK of Palestinian society has been ripped off. Let's see how great the lives of the Gazans will be without any international leftist money, or having Arafat with his French bank accounts.

welcome to Talibanland!

Meanwhile, Israel keeps building a very tall fence- and positions its artillery. This election is the best outcome if you are pro-Israel...

Way to go Palestinians...

You just voted your way out of a real state.

So much for the idea that Democracy can just be given to people.

It's like taking a car, starting the engine, putting it in drive, and putting a monkey behind the wheel. There is a car and ithe car will go forward... but there is still a monkey behind the wheel.

For the sake of US interests in the region, however, I hope I am wrong. I hope Democracy is a beatiful flower that automatically cultivates good things.

Just goes to show that it is not enough to call yourself the good guys, you have to convince the people that you are the good guys. Corrupt Fatah officials under Arafat lined their pockets for years with aid money, while Hamas used much of its money to operate soup kitchens and health clinics. They convinced the average joe on the street that they were more honest and cared more about them.

It is eerily reminiscent of how the Chinese Communists under Mao snookered the corrupt Nationalists after WWII. The people are going to get stuck with an evil state, just like the Chinese did, and Fatah has no one to blame but itself.

By the way, this makes the War in Iraq look real good in regard to the BOP in the Middle East. How f'd would Israel be if they had Iraq on top of Syria, Hamas, and Iran pressing on them?

Nah. Iraq under Saddam was no ally of Iran, even though they both hate Israel and us.

Ties?

They ARE a terrorist organization.

If I recall correctly, it was one of their mass meetings where they did the Hitler salute while pledging Israel's destruction.

They do some other work as a lame cover for their terrorism. In fact, only when you're killing Jews would such a cover ever work (oh well, we treat the sick--and blow up lots of Jews, so we're not really all bad.)

Bingo this is terrible for hopes of creating a country. NO one will respect them now. The EU and US are already of thinking of ways to stop funding the Palestinians now, the problem though is the people are going to pay for this.

This is not a good thing for the Middle East peace process.

There is no such thing as a 'peace process.' It's one of the great lies of history. the idea that peace is achieved through endless rounds of negotiation. I don't mean improving relations or trade through endless rounds of diplomacy--THAT works. But I've never heard of a peace with a semi-genocidal enemy and a civilized NON-genocidal enemy that ever occurred without one of them getting severely beaten down in a war of national survival or, sadly, an extermination.

Peace is achieved through decisive and terrible victory on the battlefield or in reasonable disputes like border conflicts and resource exploitation rights in contested areas.

Egypt and Jordan capitulated because they were defeated several times on the field of battle and had their own national and historical reasons for backing off hostility with Israel (somewhat.) Had the Arab armies succeeded in extinguishing the light of Israel in 48, there would have been 'peace.' But without the victory of Israel, there would be no 'process.'

Archived