Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's Worse?

Fischer fan

I agree that going to the Big Dance is better, but it can get embarrassing if you get continuously rolled like the Broncos and Bills did from the late 1980s thru the mid 1990s. At least the Broncos and Elway later atoned by winning back-to-backers in the late 90s. This is going to sound extremely blasphemous, but I got so sick of seeing the Bills in there that I was actually cheering for Dallas during the rematch of the game the year before :(

I think it depends on what kind of team you're talking about. For the Colts not to make it to the SB this year after basically being the best team in the league would be a tough thing for them to live with all off-season. For the Redskins to get in the playoffs, but not get to the SB - well you can always be happy they exceeded many peoples' expectations and left us wanting more for next year.

As for what happens once you get to the SB, I don't think you can be too upset to lose it, unless you just totally **** the bed on Superbowl Sunday. Like someone else posted, being number 2 in a 32 team league isn't bad at all.

At least if you go to the Super Bowl, your teams gets on thoise cute little Super Bowl pins you see in the glass cage at sports shops.

And you are still a Conference Champion.

It would be like saying..."Whats worse, winning your division and not getting to the Super Bowl or just not going to the playoffs."

I'm not saying I want to be the next Buffalo Bills of the 90's, but getting there is VER special!

No one forgets when you lose the big one. I say losing the SB. Almost no one remembers NFC championship games.

Washington-Dallas, 1982 season?

Miami-San Diego, 1981 season? (AFC, actually - but you get the point)

IMO, the conference championship games are usually much better than the Superbowl. The SB is all about commercials, casual fans paying attention for one game all year, 4 hrs of pre-game hype with the network talking heads, wardrobe malfunctions, etc.

Conference championship weekend always feels like the last real weekend of the season to me.

I think going this year and losing would be ok.

It wouldn't be anything that the Eagles haven't done before, recently. :D

As long as it wasn't to the Donkeys, I wouldn't be too pissed. Yeah, I guess I would but it would be much better than a 5-11 Spurrier or 7-9 Norv season. Gibbs would really be proving all those idiots like Pastabelly wrong and a lot earlier than we all expected.

I really hate to hedge here but this question does really deserve two answers for me personally.

There has been no worse feeling for me as a Redskin fan than the night we lost SB 18. It felt worse than any Norv 3-13 season and certainly worse than losing to the Giants in the 86 NFC Championship Game and it lasted for the entire year.

However, once the pain subsided, I looked back and do take pride in at least the Redskins being an NFC Champion. When I look back at say the Norv 3-13 or Richie's 4-12, my head drops with embarrassment even to this day.

:eaglesuck

Archived