Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Russ Grimm, Art Monk, Hall of Fame Semi-Finalists

JoeKnowsBest

Monk is most definately overdue. I guess that is what you get for not being flashy or making huge endzone celebrations. I think the people that vote should be ashamed for not placing him in and I hope that one day he is given the credit he deserves! Better late than never!! :applause:

81 Ruled!

Monk is a semi-finalist every year it seems like. The one thing that might help get him in is Michael Irvin's crack-smoking ways. They'll look at that crack-smoker and then look at Monk and say, wow, Art Monk was a model individual and extremely classy, plus he could really catch a football in the clutch.

If Michael Irvin gets in I will personally fly to wherever the hell SI corporate headquarters are and punch Peter Queen in the face. You know Monk is only 1 or 2 votes away, and Peter Queen is adamant in denying him the honor. Pastabelly too...those sick, fat ****s.

Right or wrong, I think with Michael Irvins' off-field issues, this may open the door to Monk with the voters. I think Monk should make it outright and without any sympathy votes. Monk was the consumate pro and the definition of a team player and has plenty of class to boot.

Right or wrong, I think with Michael Irvins' off-field issues, this may open the door to Monk with the voters. I think Monk should make it outright and without any sympathy votes. Monk was the consumate pro and the definition of a team player and has plenty of class to boot.

I agree, but I think we're overlooking some of the other semi-finalists here. This isn't all just about Monk vs Irvin.

On the ballad you have some other deserving members as well (Albeit, I am too young to know who some of those 60s & 70s players are) like....

Reggie White

Warren Moon

Derrick Thomas

Troy Aikman

and Chris Berman is pushing hard to get Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed inducted. Even though they (Reed and Thurman ) really only had at most probably 5 good years.

I don't think Irvin will get in this year. It would be an attrocity if he did and Art Monk didn't, based on career stats alone let alone the fact Irvin has legal/character issues clouding him. But there are some other good candidates we should not take lightly because these guys were all media darlings and good players.. not to mention a few of them are members of the media themselves now.

Russ Grimm and Art Monk are probably more deserving than any other player of those semi-finalist except for Reggie White. The only difference is they were blue collar guys who didn't make alot of noise to draw attention to themselves. They were great team players. And when you look at the PRO FOOTBALL Hall of Fame, isn't being a good team player important pro football?

Reggie White (obvious)

Derrek Thomas (people foreget how incredible this guy was, just like Dwight Freeney)

Art Monk (Apparently a player that lead by example for a 3-time SB Champion isn't good enough)

Troy Aikman (Because Dallas is "America's Team", don't do crack and you'll get in)

I agree.

Reggie White - minister of defense, aal-time #2 on the sack list.

Derrek Thomas - LT like with crazy spped and hard hitting. Probably would have gotten pretty high on the sacks list.

Art Monk - Held 2 separate receiving records when he retired and a truly classy guy)

Troy Aikman - As much as I hate to say it, a great QB.

I'm not going to hold my breath to be honest. Yes, I think Monk has been shafted in the past and deserves to be in the HOF.

What Pete said. It's ridiculous that there are so few representatives from our 80's and early 90's teams in the HoF, even assuming Green will get in.

How can none of the HOGS be in the HOF? Three rings with 3 different QB's and 4 SB appearances. What other offensive line can boast these accomplishments. Not the Niners, Cowboys or Steelers.

Grimm, Jacoby and Bostic all need to be enshrined. I hope Grimm gets in, even if it means he nudges out Monk.

This isn't going to be Monk's year.

White

Thomas

Aikman

While I don't know if Monk or Grimm will make it in this year or not, I don't think the voters will elect to vote TWO new members into the Hall posthumusly.

Maybe one, like White. Then Brooks in several years, but not in the same year.

White is very likely. Aikman is a given. I doubt Moon cause they voted in TWO QBs last year. I doubt they'll do that again.

I guess we'll see.

Any body know if people at ESPN have a vote? If so I'm going strait over there and starting a thread on their boards. We've got to show the voters who the fans want in the Hall of Fame!

These are the HOF voters:

Arizona Kent Somers, Arizona Republic

Atlanta Furman Bisher, The Atlanta Journal

Baltimore Scott Garceau, WMAR-TV

Buffalo Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News

Carolina Charles Chandler, Charlotte Observer

Chicago Don Pierson, Chicago Tribune*

Cincinnati Chick Ludwig, Dayton Daily News

Cleveland Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer

Dallas Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*

Denver Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

Detroit Jerry Green, The Detroit News*

Green Bay Cliff Christl, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Houston John McClain, Houston Chronicle*

Indianapolis Mike Chappell, Indianapolis Star

Jacksonville Sam Kouvaris, WJXT-TV

Kansas City Bob Gretz, KCFX Overland Park, KS

Miami Edwin Pope, Miami Herald*

Minnesota Sid Hartman, The Minneapolis Star-Tribune

New England Ron Borges, Boston Globe

New Orleans Pete Finney, Times-Picayune

New York (Giants) Vinny DiTrani, Bergen Record

New York (Jets) Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated

Oakland Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

Philadelphia Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News

Pittsburgh Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

St. Louis Bernie Miklasz, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

San Diego Jerry Magee, San Diego Union Tribune*

San Francisco Ira Miller, San Francisco Chronicle*

Seattle John Clayton, ESPN/ESPN Magazine

Tampa Bay Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune

Tennessee David Climer, The Tennessean

Washington Len Shapiro, Washington Post*

PFWA David Elfin, Washington Times

At Large Jarrett Bell, USA Today

At Large Dave Goldberg, Associated Press*

At Large Peter King, Sports Illustrated

At Large Bob Oates, Los Angeles Times

At Large Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

At Large Mike Wilbon, Washington Post

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

and Chris Berman is pushing hard to get Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed inducted. Even though they (Reed and Thurman ) really only had at most probably 5 good years.

Actually it is IRVIN who only had a handful of good seasons and never a great one. Reed never led the league in anything either but he had 10 seasons with over 60 catches and has over 200 more catches than Irvin and 22 more TD's. If he hadn't been injured in 1995 he probably would have benefitted like the rest of the receivers did in that huge spike in receptions that year.

Thurman Thomas had 8 straight 1000 yard seasons. I think he owned the record at one point. He also caught almost 500 balls as well.

Both of those guys should be in the HOF before crack pipe, good for 5 seasons when the rest of the team was stacked, Irvin.

Irvin was good only because Aikman was probably the best QB of the 90's. Just look at Aikman's playoff numbers to see how clutch the guy was and Irvin was the primary beneficiary of that.

Andre Reed?

He rather than Monk is the personification of a guy that hung around an extra couple of years to pad his stats.

This guy disappeared in the Super Bowl against the Redskins and the Bills didn't have Gary Clark or Ricky Sanders to take catches away from him.

Grimm should have been in years ago.

The Monk snub has never bothered me that much. His problem is that so many receivers are going to retire with staggering numbers over the next few years that he is going to look more and more like a dinosaur every year.

The rules changed to favor WR's after Monk retired, so you make a good point, there will be more WR's with better stats and he may not get his due. Too bad.

:logo:

These are the HOF voters:

Arizona Kent Somers, Arizona Republic

Atlanta Furman Bisher, The Atlanta Journal

Baltimore Scott Garceau, WMAR-TV

Buffalo Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News

Carolina Charles Chandler, Charlotte Observer

Chicago Don Pierson, Chicago Tribune*

Cincinnati Chick Ludwig, Dayton Daily News

Cleveland Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer

Dallas Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*

Denver Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

Detroit Jerry Green, The Detroit News*

Green Bay Cliff Christl, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Houston John McClain, Houston Chronicle*

Indianapolis Mike Chappell, Indianapolis Star

Jacksonville Sam Kouvaris, WJXT-TV

Kansas City Bob Gretz, KCFX Overland Park, KS

Miami Edwin Pope, Miami Herald*

Minnesota Sid Hartman, The Minneapolis Star-Tribune

New England Ron Borges, Boston Globe

New Orleans Pete Finney, Times-Picayune

New York (Giants) Vinny DiTrani, Bergen Record

New York (Jets) Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated

Oakland Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

Philadelphia Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News

Pittsburgh Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

St. Louis Bernie Miklasz, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

San Diego Jerry Magee, San Diego Union Tribune*

San Francisco Ira Miller, San Francisco Chronicle*

Seattle John Clayton, ESPN/ESPN Magazine

Tampa Bay Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune

Tennessee David Climer, The Tennessean

Washington Len Shapiro, Washington Post*

PFWA David Elfin, Washington Times

At Large Jarrett Bell, USA Today

At Large Dave Goldberg, Associated Press*

At Large Peter King, Sports Illustrated

At Large Bob Oates, Los Angeles Times

At Large Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

At Large Mike Wilbon, Washington Post

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

Thanks. We should all write to some of these guys making the case for why Art Monk deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. Russ Grimm too. But I would imagine Monk would have more weight in a debate.

As for Thurman Thomas and Reed, Reed disapeared after the Superbowls and Thomas was regulated to being a back up behind Antwan (spelling?) Smith. Thomas was great for a time, but then the last half of his career he was forced to ride the pine and back up a younger RB.

Another thought came to mind today when I was thinking. After this season, we really don't have any one special (aka 1st ballad-ers) who retired in 2001 (none that come to my mind) so there may be more oppurtunities for some of the older deserving players to get in. If not this year, I'd say next year is definately a good chance for Art and Russ and some of the others that have been patient.

Archived