Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any use for these dogs anymore?

webnarc

Huly I worked at the sheriff office for 3 years, maybe the dogs don't lock their jaw but the only way they were able to get the dog to release a couple of times was by shooting it.

Once one of these dogs lock-in it is hard to get them off, compared to others.

True because their jaws are strong. They now make Bite sticks to handle this issue. Have you ever been bitten by an iguana, bearded dragon, or monitor? They are the same exact way. Their jaws are so strong that it took Pez 2 hours to get his monitor off of his hand.

True because their jaws are strong. They now make Bite sticks to handle this issue. Have you ever been bitten by an iguana, bearded dragon, or monitor? They are the same exact way. Their jaws are so strong that it took Pez 2 hours to get his monitor off of his hand.

then ban them all :silly:

i will stay away from my computer monitor then........ :jk:

then ban them all :silly:

i will stay away from my computer monitor then........ :jk:

:laugh: :laugh: Just adding comic relief. It is true though. The monitor lizards are mean and his tried to take his finger off!

GoSkins you could say that about any pet and yeas I know the look you mention. I have seen Chelsea back down and get the glazed look out of fear of a guy.

:laugh: :laugh: Just adding comic relief. It is true though. The monitor lizards are mean and his tried to take his finger off!

GoSkins you could say that about any pet and yeas I know the look you mention. I have seen Chelsea back down and get the glazed look out of fear of a guy.

I was talking about my own Pit Bull having the look, I noticed it him but I also noticed the same look in other Pits, when they were not in a threatening situation.

I was talking about my own Pit Bull having the look, I noticed it him but I also noticed the same look in other Pits, when they were not in a threatening situation.

Looks never bother me body language does. The thing that scared me the most about Rip was he never barked. He would lightly growl and every wrinkle would be on the top of his head and all you would see was his teeth. Also his body language told you what he was thinking. He was the kind of dog that slept like a log but if startled from sleep it was all teeth. We would have to announce we were there if he was asleep before opening his kennel.

GoSkins561, Sorry but I just had to go look in my Pit's eyes and I really stared him down. He just looked at me with a sad look like he did someting wrong. WOW I do know what your talking about. He got scared of me and didn't do a darn thing.

It is all how you raise the dog just like a child.

Can anyone tell my what is so special about these dogs that people HAVE to have THIS SPECIFIC DOG even though they occasionally kill people?

What do these dogs have that no other dog has that makes people willing to risk the safety of those around them? Please tell me.

The thing that really gets me, is that these dogs dont attack their owners, they attack OTHER PEOPLE......strangers. So thanks for jeopardizing the safety of people you dont even know so that you can have a pet. Just stoopid.

Exactly... so if that is what you are after, why would you seek out a breed that has tendancies towards aggresiveness?

If entertainment and love is what you're after (and I agree 100% with your statement, BTW)... why choose a pitbull or a doberman or a german shephard?

I don't get it.

I continue to have doubts about Pit Bulls, but German Shepherds are wonderful family dogs. I've heard the same about Dobies (now that they have their breeding issues worked out over the last 10 years or so).

Here is a scientific study of dog-bite related deaths associated with breeds. Please read it carefully and thoroughly.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf

This data is not adjusted for the number of a specific breed in the population. That's an important consideration.

For example, the German Shepherds rank 3rd in these bite stats, and they're also third in the rankings in terms of dog ownership in the U.S. Even more interesting is that the two dogs that in recent years they've ranked behind, Labs and Goldens, aren't even on that list, which means that the GSD's are a LOT safer to be around all things considered than are the top two breeds. In other words, given their relatively large numbers, GSD's are involved in no more than - and likely fewer than - the number of fatal biting incidents that you'd expect them to be involved from a statistical standpoint.

Who in the world was the one person who got killed by a ****er spaniel (Table 2)? :doh:
Before we make too much light of this kind of thing, there are many many babies and toddlers who are killed each year by dogs because they are left alone with them. I have a feeling that that's who's represented in those stats.

As for ****ers, they are actually a very fearsome dog in a fight. My father's ****er killed a bulldog when he was growing up by crushing its trachea. I've heard of other similar stories about them. They're viewed as cuddly and fluffy, almost silly looking, but they do have a tendency to snap if they're pushed.

I continue to have doubts about Pit Bulls, but German Shepherds are wonderful family dogs. I've heard the same about Dobies (now that they have their breeding issues worked out over the last 10 years or so).

My neighbors when I lived in Ohio had 2 German Shepherds and they were wonderful dogs.

I do think, however, that German Shepherds have tendancies towards agressiveness, as that is what they have been bred for, and they are used extensively in police work and crowd control.

My neighbors when I lived in Ohio had 2 German Shepherds and they were wonderful dogs.

I do think, however, that German Shepherds have tendancies towards agressiveness, as that is what they have been bred for, and they are used extensively in police work and crowd control.

They're also used for herding (which means they protect, not attack the flock), search and rescue, seeing-eye work, and companionship. They're the classic example of how a breed gets misunderstood. People see them doing police work and protection work, aka Schutzhund, and that's all they think about, but their versatility is legendary.

A well-bred, well-socialized dog will not attack without cause. Period. Even Pit Bulls. The problem with Pits, though, is that they are not well bred, and often they are not socialized because that doesn't for some people fit with the image of the breed. That can happen with German Sheps too, but more often I've found that those dogs are included in the famil

Dogs are pack animals who desperately want to fit in. They just need to be taught how. The worst thing you can do to a dog is to exclude it from your family and from social interaction. As with human prisoners in solitary confinement, they'll go crazy and will act out.

The real enemies to society are the backyard breeders who flood the land with poorly bred dogs with bad temperament, and the idiot owners who fail to socialize the dogs. I don't believe that you should need to get a license to own a dog unless you're a convicted felon or something; I do believe that you ought to be required to have a license to breed the dog though.

No matter how well bred and socialized your dog is, though, you never, NEVER leave it alone with a child who is too young/small to correct and discipline the dog. Period.

It's Huly. I am at my friends house!

PleaseBlitz Why should someone not be able to own the dog of their choice? Should I not have owned the 2 I had knowing they were aggressive in the beginning? My dogs have NEVER bit anyone and it is due to my training and socialization. It is a freedom I have to own whatever dog I want. ANY DOG BIG OR SMALL CAN BE AGGRESSIVE AND BITE A PERSON. Please inform me of case where a puppy was born automatically aggressive? It is due to improper ownership and in rare cases a medical issue. Also dogs that are not fixed are more aggressive than those that are fixed.

Redman- you are 100% correct! Any and all animals need to be socialized. You would be surprised how many times I have heard "It is a one person dog" That is BS. It is that way because the owner has not raised it properly! :notworthy

Huly

PleaseBlitz Why should someone not be able to own the dog of their choice? Should I not have owned the 2 I had knowing they were aggressive in the beginning? My dogs have NEVER bit anyone and it is due to my training and socialization. It is a freedom I have to own whatever dog I want. ANY DOG BIG OR SMALL CAN BE AGGRESSIVE AND BITE A PERSON. Please inform me of case where a puppy was born automatically aggressive? It is due to improper ownership and in rare cases a medical issue. Also dogs that are not fixed are more aggressive than those that are fixed.

Redman- you are 100% correct! Any and all animals need to be socialized. You would be surprised how many times I have heard "It is a one person dog" That is BS. It is that way because the owner has not raised it properly! :notworthy

Huly

Tell em Huly :applause:

I have owned Chows for 15 yrs and now have a Rott/cattle dog mix and have never had a problem. 25 yrs with dogs and my Peke was the only one who ever bit anyone :laugh:

She was a jealous little **** that was spoiled rotten ;)

Tell em Huly :applause:

I have owned Chows for 15 yrs and now have a Rott/cattle dog mix and have never had a problem. 25 yrs with dogs and my Peke was the only one who ever bit anyone :laugh:

She was a jealous little **** that was spoiled rotten ;)

I am just stating the facts!

Huly

Thats fine. You should be allowed to own the dog of your choice but you havent answered my question' date=' and im not talking about your dogs specifically, i am (we are) talking about Pit Bulls in general. What do people see in these dogs that they HAVE TO OWN THIS PARTICULAR BREED OVER ALL OTHERS, even though they are putting the people around them in danger.

And you just answered your own question. "My dogs have NEVER bit anyone and it is due to my training and socialization." Great, but any donkey can go buy one of these dogs, and when they (the dogs) dont have the benefit of excellent care and training, they have a tendency TO KILL PEOPLE.

TO KILL PEOPLE. To end peoples lives. To destroy families.

So, please answer my questions, b/c as I said i have never owned a dog so i dont know.

1) What makes these dogs so much better than other dogs for some people?

2) Is that trait important enough to endanger the lives of the people around you, especially kids?

I'm still waiting for Huly to come in here and roll some heads. . . I would suggest that Webnarc is tops on her list today :)

Webnarc, I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as a bad dog, just a bad owner. A dog will do what it is allowed to do, and no, breed doesn't matter. The reason they are shown to attack more then others is because of their stigma society and people like yourself place on them. It feeds into the ego's of some pencil prick with a small penis who has to show off how tough his dog is. The problem is that he wants to buy a Hummer, but he is to poor to afford one, so he gets a dog to showoff his manhood.

I have heard some atrocious stories, not about the dogs but about the owners of these dogs. The only reason they attack is because they were trained to attack, or not trained properly. They are not a breed for the first time dog owner, as well as a variety of others. . . Weimaraners, Chessies, Mastifs, GSPs etc. All of these dogs have certain characteristics which can make them dangerous and or destructive if not properly trained.

The breed has gotten a bad rap over the years, and it is because uninformed people like yourself think in broad sweeping generalizations when dealing with the breed. Maybe if people took more time to become aware of the breed, there would be less of this type of speculation going around.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Thats fine. You should be allowed to own the dog of your choice but you havent answered my question, and im not talking about your dogs specifically, i am (we are) talking about Pit Bulls in general. What do people see in these dogs that they HAVE TO OWN THIS PARTICULAR BREED OVER ALL OTHERS, even though they are putting the people around them in danger.

And you just answered your own question. "My dogs have NEVER bit anyone and it is due to my training and socialization." Great, but any donkey can go buy one of these dogs, and when they (the dogs) dont have the benefit of excellent care and training, they have a tendency TO KILL PEOPLE.

So, please answer my questions, b/c as I said i have never owned a dog so i dont know.

2) Is that trait important enough to endanger the lives of the people around you, especially kids?

Actually, if you're attempting to generalize, you're impacting all individual owners, and therefore you ARE talking about Huly's dog specifically. Because eventually you'd have to deal with the responsible individual owners, and explain why they and their dogs are being punished for actions/negligence of idiots.

I was guessing from your earlier posts that you don't own a dog. Before I got my dogs, I did a lot of reading. The Australian Sheppards and Labs that started out on the top of my list quickly fell off -- not because they aren't great dogs, but because they have traits that make them unsuitable for my situation (or my situation makes me an unsuitable owner for them). So, if you are truly wanting an answer to your two questions, I recommend that you start with the AKC website, and then go check out or buy a dog encyclopedia. There are also breed-specific books that are helpful, but the AKC and encyclopedia are good for comparison with other breeds.

I must say, though, I disagree with the premise of your second question. You seem to think that simply having a Rotty or Pit Bull automatically endangers neihborhood kids -- it depends entirely on the owner. A responsible owner with a Pit or Rotty is not a cause for fear. But an idiot with a Pit or Rotty is truly dangerous -- as is an idiot with a drug lab, an idiot with a gun, an idiot with a car...

Thats fine. You should be allowed to own the dog of your choice but you havent answered my question, and im not talking about your dogs specifically, i am (we are) talking about Pit Bulls in general. What do people see in these dogs that they HAVE TO OWN THIS PARTICULAR BREED OVER ALL OTHERS, even though they are putting the people around them in danger.

I used my dogs as an example. If you notice in my earlier post Rotti's and Mix Breeds have higher bite records then Pitt Bulls and the sharpei is the cousin of the Pitt Bull and they also have the same jaw structure of the Pitt Bull. Both of my dogs are great examples.

Cats kill babies. Numerous babies are killed every year because the cat slept on top of the child and he or she was suffocated. Should we get rid of all cats? No the parents should keep an eye on their child and cat.

All kids are in danger of pets. It is the parents responsibilty to keep any eye on the child and pet.

I am all for a regulation where you have to take a training class etc before adopting a large breed dog. I think it is important to do that for any dog, but bad people are going to get their hands on pets and other things and cause a bad rap. It is not the pets fault! Example **** Fighting- Are all roosters bad?

How are these dogs trained or have they even been trained. I had 2 pitbulls when I was 5, one passed when I was 14(Guiness) and the other when I was 19(Snow who was handsom, all white with red nose). Not once did the dogs even try to bite me or any of my friends not even when we were playing with them. That is because my mother trained them well. It is not the dog but the owner.

Archived