Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Any use for these dogs anymore?

webnarc

Getting back to the topic, why own these dogs?

Here's a snippet from the Cane Corso website. :doh: :doh:

Good Lord, what kind of sane or rational person brings this animal into their house?

That is the real question.

Not sure....Vin Disel breeds them, so maybe all the owners are teenage girls with a crush? :D

Wait, so when redman said I was a backyard breeder, he was insulting me?

Here is a summary:

-Pit bulls and Rottweilers do kill more people and more frequently than other dogs.

-These breeds are currently being breed poorly.

-Some idiots intentionally raise these dogs to be vicious.

-Some idiots don't know how to take care of their dogs.

-These breeds kill more people in large part because they are naturally good killers.

-The total number of people that die from dog bites is not a large number.

-Most deaths caused by dogs are probably dogs owned people who huff paint and make meth in their bathtub.

-Some deaths are caused dogs who are normally great and have great owners.

-Pit Bulls and Rottweilers currently count for the majority of human fatalities.

-We should have some sort of law about owning these things and being trained or certified or something, but we don't.

-Even if we did have the law, the type of people who raise a dog to be a killer aren't the type of people to obey the law

-Honda is introducing the "Death Racer 2000" sometime next year. BlueTalon will buy one because nobody can tell him what to do.

-A very large majority of these two breeds contain wonderful dogs.

-When the small minority of these dogs do attack, they are much more likely to cause death to a person.

-I was a "backyard breeder", but I don't know what that is.

-Huly says you are NOT supposed to chain yoru dog to a stake in the ground.

-Spuds McKenzie was NOT a pit bull.

-Rottweillers are huge, scary dogs. Especially when they have spiked collars.

Wait, so when redman said I was a backyard breeder, he was insulting me?

Not sure....to me, a backyard breeder (for the purposes of this discussion) is someone who breeds a dog without taking into account temperment, etc. ie: "Hey, I have this Breed_X, lets breed him to this other Breed_X and make some cash by selling them down at the flea market" vs. small-time breeder who actively tries to produce good dogs, good temperments, with an eye towards the breeding pairs lineage, etc, ie: better the breed,

If that is not you, then you are not really what at least I think of as a "backyard breeder".

Here is a summary:

-Pit bulls and Rottweilers do kill more people and more frequently than other dogs.

-These breeds are currently being breed poorly.

-Some idiots intentionally raise these dogs to be vicious.

-Some idiots don't know how to take care of their dogs.

right now, yes.

-These breeds kill more people in large part because they are naturally good killers.

As can any large dog breed.

Yes...its less than bicycles, lightning, sharks, and bees in a yearly basis, especially considering the number of dogs that are in this country.

-Most deaths caused by dogs are probably dogs owned people who probably huff paint and make meth in their bathtub.

No, no one said that. Criminals play a factor, yes, but mostly it is people owning these dogs who shouldn't because they either do not know what they are doing, do not understand the breed, do not train or socialize their dogs, or buy them from breeders/pet stores who are turning out bad dogs vs. a reputable breeder. You also have people who want the dog to fit their image of what it should be, so try and mold it to that image.

-Some deaths are caused dogs who are normally great and have great owners.

Yup, as can happend to a dog of any breed, and does.

-Pit Bulls and Rottweilers currently count for the majority of human fatalities.

Yup, less than 1% of each of these breeds make up the majority of human fatalities since the 1980s, which in turn is a tiny percentage of the approx. 4.7 million dog bites annually, or about .0012% of the total reported dog bites.

-We should have some sort of law about owning these things and being trained or certified or something, but we don't.

-Even if we did have the law, the type of people who raise a dog to be a killer aren't the type of people to obey the law

Yup. I like what Fairfax is doing where if a dog is reported to Animal Control, the owners are brought to court to show the dog is not a threat, no matter the breed.

And yes, just like most of the laws in our country, there will be those who ignore the laws.

-Honda is introducing the "Death Racer 2000" sometime next year. BlueTalon will buy one because nobody can tell him what to do.

Not sure about BT, but I am sure the high school parking lots will be full of them. I hope not tho, I ride motorcycles and have enough problems dealing with pickup trucks, sedans, etc. who think they own their lane AND mine while yakkin on their cell phones.

-A very large majority of these two breeds contain wonderful dogs.

-When the small minority of these dogs do attack, they are much more likely to cause death to a person.

-I was a "backyard breeder", but I don't know what that is.

See above

-Huly says you are NOT supposed to chain yoru dog to a stake in the ground.

BIG YES! Chaining a dog in the yard is one of the most assanine things a dog owner can do.

-Spuds McKenzie was NOT a pit bull.

-Rottweillers are huge, scary dogs. Especially when they have spiked collars.

Spuds was a Bull Terrier, which is sometimes lumped in with pit bull breeds when incidents are reported, and like all terriers, can aggressive towards animals/dogs, but no, they are not "pit bulls", or at least not anymore.

And most rotties are about as scary as a baloon animal. However, you ever see a pug with a spike collar, run for your life...its a man-eater.

And ya, if this thread goes another 15 pages, they will pretty much cover the same arguments.

Ok, so its the breeders' fault that these dogs are mean. These dogs are still mean.

Between 1994 and 1999, according to the National Canine Research Foundation, there was 31 fatal Rottweiler attacks vs. 15 for "pit bulls" and "pit bull-type" breeds. This correspondes with the height of rottie popularity which peaked in the late 1990's per the AKC. Also note that there were 31 rottweiler or rottweiler-mix specific attacks, whereas the numbers for pit bulls is actually made up for an entire group of breeds. Thus, American Staffordshires may only account for 2, ABPTs for 5 or 6, etc.

Actually talk to most GSD and Doberman owners and breeders, and they will tell you about the problems those breeds have had in the past. [/Quote]

That makes sense, though I think stats previously posted contradict that. I think a lot of the problems we are all seeing is that there is no well documented statistics about what breed killed how many people.

Dog attack originally reported as "Pit Bulls" but actually lab mixes in NY Town

Pit Bull Kills Baby In Leeds Oops...guess not....

Pit Bull Mauls Child in NY - wait....its a boxer

Originally Pit Bull Attack - Now Bullmastiff Attack

Pit bull attack actually lab mix

Woman claims she was attacked by Rottie and Other dog - Story fabricated and Lab likely suspect

Mauling reported as Pit Bull attack actually Dalmation/Great Dane/Whippet mix

Dogs attack owner - police said they were APBTs, but in fact were American Bulldogs

the above are just a few of the cases of mistaken identity. Generally, people will label a dog if it even appears similar to a pit. Another case is the one in San Fran where it was nationally reported as a pit bull attack when it was Presas. Still trying to find the article about the JRT that was mistaken for a pitbull.

[/Quote]

I stand corrected.

First, I do not have a disregard for human life. The VAST MAJORITY, 99% of these dogs are not going to kill someone. I refuse to blame a group of breeds for the behavior of the tiny majority. [/Quote]

So how many deaths are acceptable so that people can have a pet? My number is probably a lot lower than yours.

Do you have children? Do you let them ride bicycles? If so, do you know 624 people were killed on their bikes in 2004, more than the total number of reported dog fatalities by all breeds in 20 years? Geez, people who let their kids ride bikes must have a total disregard for their child's safety! :rolleyes: [/Quote]

Again, you are distorting the facts. Were all 624 of those bikers kids? I doubt half of them were.

Also, pit bull type dogs, let alone individual breeds that are usually catagorized as "pitbulls" do not account for 3/4ths of all deaths related to dogs. Part of the problem with the numbers is while they will list specific numbers for other breeds, ie " German Shepards killed xx, Rotties Killed xx", they lump 5 or 6 individual breeds into 1 group, which is going to skew the number upwards. for the whole. Irish Staffordshire Terriers, a "pit bull breed" may not be repsonible for any deaths, or be the main cause. See my point?[/Quote]

I do see your point. I actually pulled the 3/4 figure from one of your posts.

"Lets also assume that 15 out of every 20 fatal attacks are a "pit bull." Its on page 13, first post on the page. It is indisputable that Pit Bulls and "Pit Bull breeds" account for a lot more deaths than almost every other type of dog, or pet for that matter.

I do however have little patience for people who latch onto one thought (pitbulls = death machines), and fail to do any research at all on the breeds which they wish to exterminate beyond what the television tells them.

At least most of the people in this thread who are against pitbulls have taken the time to rationally discuss their reasons and try and support those reasons - you pretty much cut and paste the same damn post and insult those who disagree with you. [/Quote]

Im just trying to see peoples rationale for owning something that can hurt people. You are just as guilty as anyone else for stonewalling against the other side of the argument. I, and a few others, still havent figured out why owning this dog is so great that the risk to those around it is accpetable.

People have answered you, but here ya go-

The vast majority of "pit bulls" are actually extremely good tempered towards people. ABPTs, for example, ranked the same as Golden Retrievers as far as passing rate by the American Temperment Test Society. Per the American Canine Temperment Testing Association, 95% of all pitbulls which take the test pass, vs. an average of 77% for other breeds. And while, if they do bote, it is usually worse, pitbulls are near the bottom of the list for pobability of biting someone. This has to do with their history, which I would recommend you research.

APBTs are now starting to be used as therapy dogs in many places. Damn hospitals, no regard for human life.

- Most pitbull breeds are extremely healthy, and do not have near the number of genetic problems other modern dog breeds have.

- easy to train once control is established, and very eager to please.

- Generally good with children as they generally are much slower to become annoyed. As with all dogs, you have to supervise them with children. It does not take a large dog to seriously injure or kill a child if pushed to far, etc. They are not good for young children, because as with any strong animal, they can hurt a child without meaning too just be rough playing.

- Short coat and ease of grooming, low shedding overall (seasonal), which eliminates alot of breeds.

- Good fit for those who are very active as they have tons of energy.

- Very intelligent

- Generally good at dog-related sports, such as Obidence Trials and sled pulls (which they excell at).

- Appearence - they appeal in looks to the same people who like bulldogs, boxers, mastiffs, etc. ie: overall build, head shape, size. but wish to avoid the problems those other breeds have, such as Mastiffs hip problems, tendacy towards cancer, and short life span, bulldogs with breathing issues, etc.

For example, I personally do not like the looks of shepards, retrievrers, etc. Does not mean if I find one I think is great I won't get it simply because of that, but it is a factor. I chose bullmastiffs over APBTs because of energy levels, not reputation. For some, even though a bullmastiff has many of the above qualities and look, they do not want the drool or very large size.

hehe, I am considering a Pug next though....kinda a before and after picture of my bullies :)

- In addition to a good temperment, most seem to be absolute clowns, which some people like.

The above mostly applies to APBTs and American Staffordshire Terriers. Some people perfer the Irish Staffordshire because it is much smaller than the others, some prefer the Bull Terrier because they like the long, narrower head shape.

This is also assuming you are doing your research, getting the dog from a good breeder, etc. and not someone giving them away on the street corner or chaining it in the back yard.

So basically, the vast majority are great dogs, but a small majority gives the whole breed a bad name. When the small majority of these dogs DO attack, they have much worse consequences than most other dogs. Futhermore, the only way to know if the dog is completely docile or potentially lethal is to know its breeding history and training history, which you cant tell by looking at it, especially if you are 10 years old, and there definitely are a good number of bad breeders out there.

So basically, the vast majority are great dogs, but a small majority gives the whole breed a bad name.

We finally agree on something! :D

Yes! I will talk to a few Rescue people/ shelter people tomorrow too! I think the Pit Bull is also one of the highest breeds with the most cruelty and neglect cases. If you get a dog and any type of dog go to a rescue, shelter or reputable breeder. Pet Store dogs= Puppy mill/ back yard breeder dogs. Rescues and shelters do personality test etc on dogs.

First, sorry about getting snotty in my last reply - bad night, low nerves, probably not the best time to have a discussion on an internet board.

Ok, so its the breeders' fault that these dogs are mean. These dogs are still mean.

Right, but if it is the breeders fault, much like other breeds, it is a place to start. It is better to go after these breeders than the breed since, even if you get rid of the breed, the breeders will still be there, just ruining a different dog.

If you go after the bad breeders and owners, you get less problem dogs, so less problems overall.

So how many deaths are acceptable so that people can have a pet? My number is probably a lot lower than yours.

But again, the problem is this - unless you plan to get rid of all large dog breeds, there will always be this issue. Get rid of pits, and it will be rotties, and so on.

The best thing that can happend in this situation is too encourage those who are working to better the breed, good ownership, and encourage local communities to regulate dog ownership (not bans).

Again, you are distorting the facts. Were all 624 of those bikers kids? I doubt half of them were.

21% were children under 16.

In fatal dog attacks, 68% were children between 2-12 (11% were under 2). 95% of fatal dog attacks over the past 20 years involved the child left alone with the dog. That number is for all breeds, not just pitbulls, and include dachsunds and pomerians, as well as provoked attacks. this was numbers between 1965 and 2001.

There are no numbers available as to how many where pitbulls in general or specific breeds.

Also, that was 624 deaths in one year (2004), so that is 131 children under 16 in one year. From 1975 and 2004 (30 years) there was 10,836 bicycle related deaths.

There was approx. 340 fatal dog attacks by all breeds on children under 12 between 1965 and 2001 (35 years)

So yes, statistically, children are much more likely to be killed on their bikes than by a dog. And both are preventable.

Please do not take this as not caring. Most, but not all, cases of dog attacks on children are preventable, by parents not leaving the young children alone with dogs, especially toddlers, by teaching kids not to approach strange dogs, by properly socializing their pets around children, etc. My children were taught at a very early age who to behave around dogs, not to just go up to strange dogs, etc. And that needs to be taugt to kids about all breeds.

Yes, I wish there was no deaths of children by dogs, but its not gonna happend. I would much rather focus on taking steps to minimize the problem through education, etc. and not focus just on 1 or 2 breeds. People start focusing on specific breeds and those lose sight of the actual problem.

I do see your point. I actually pulled the 3/4 figure from one of your posts.

"Lets also assume that 15 out of every 20 fatal attacks are a "pit bull." Its on page 13, first post on the page. It is indisputable that Pit Bulls and "Pit Bull breeds" account for a lot more deaths than almost every other type of dog, or pet for that matter.

My bad. I was actually using that number as a "worst case". In fact, the number is actually 21% from 1965 to 2001. 21% of 431. 90 cases over a 35 year period. Rotties are at 13%, GSDs at 10%. Now, divide that 21% up over the different breeds. Lets say half of those 90 attacks are one specific breed.....say APBTS accounted for 50 of those 90 "pit bull" attacks - that is 11% - 1% more than German Shepards and 2% less than Rotties.

Right now there is no specific numbers for indiviual "pit bull" breeds, but you get what I am trying to say.

Im just trying to see peoples rationale for owning something that can hurt people. You are just as guilty as anyone else for stonewalling against the other side of the argument. I, and a few others, still havent figured out why owning this dog is so great that the risk to those around it is accpetable.

Thats what I have been trying to say...it is NOT that big of a risk. Less than 1% out of tens of thousands of these dogs, if not even more than that.Yet people continue to treat this like its a huge problem where every day people are getting mauled and killed by pitbulls.

Edit:

As far as stonewalling - not sure what else you want. We post numbers, stats, information, history, trends, etc. but that is not what you appear to be looking for. We post why we like these types of dogs - still not what you are looking for. Not trying to stonewall anyone, just getting frustrated because I answer a question...and then get asked the same question again.

We are at a dead end here. Chances are nothing anyone posts is going to change your mind, and thats fine (no sarcasm intended). And, lets face it, it does not matter, as whether or not you like the dog or I like it or Huly likes it, etc. is going to actually make a difference.

Lets try something else - right now, there are an average of 20 dog fatalities and 4.5 million dog bites each year in the US. 800,000 people require medical attention. What needs to be done to solve the problem in your opinion?

So basically, the vast majority are great dogs, but a small majority gives the whole breed a bad name. When the small majority of these dogs DO attack, they have much worse consequences than most other dogs.
Did you mean to say "small majority" or "small minority"? You complained about semantics earlier, but words mean things, and using them in certain ways conveys a different meaning than using them in other ways. Writing "small majority" when you meant to write "small minority" is a simple and forgivable goof. Writing "small majority" when you meant to write "small majority" is, in this case, misrepresentative of the facts.
-These breeds are currently being breed poorly. [by a few unscrupulous breeders, not by everyone. let's be clear]

-These breeds kill more people in large part because they are naturally good killers.[because they're big]

You obviously don't know me. Perhaps knowing isn't as fun as making assumptions? I'm not sure what I did to push your buttons, but it's rather entertaining to see the results of it.

Maybe we should stick a little closer to the topic.

Adam, your statistics don't mean squat unless we can get a total dog population statistic. The only truely meaniful statistic is the ratio of the total number of a breed compared to the fatalities caused by that breed.

Let's say that 7 deaths are caused by pit bulls and 8 are caused by german shepards. That seems closed, but let's assume that there are 3,000 pit bulls and 20,000 german shepards. That means that 0.2% of pit bulls cause a fatality, while 0.04% of german shepards cause a fatality. That would make pit bulls 5 times more likely to kill somebody. Of course, we don't have these numbers so I am just pulling them out of thin air as an example.

A lot of the resources the "pro pit bull" crowd is providing are from very pro pit bull organizations. Sort of like quoting newsmax or democratic underground for a political thread. You always have to view these with a skeptical eye.

Good post! I tried to make this same point earlier. Where we disagree is the assessment of the threat level. Using your numbers, we could conclude both that Pits cause more fatalities than GSDs per capita, and that statistically, both dogs are safe to be around. You, PleaseBlitz and others can choose to continue to consider them dangerous, and that's your choice. I just don't understand why your side seems so intent on convincing us of your point of view.

You, PleaseBlitz and others can choose to continue to consider them dangerous, and that's your choice. I just don't understand why your side seems so intent on convincing us of your point of view.

Probably for the same reason why our side is so intent on convincing them of ours.

It seems both sides agree that regulation is needed, whether it is to protect the neighbors, the breed, or both. That is a good thing, now if we can just get lawmakers to worry less about appearing to do something (BSLs) and start actually do something (again, see Fairfax County). This will help ease the concerns of those who are against the breeds and help those in favor of them start to get things back on track.

Oh, and a note to really piss off both sides of the argument - it is unlikely the owner of the 6 dogs in the original post will face charges, as there are no specific laws in that county about animal restraint, thus the dogs being allowed to run is legal. Also, most dog attacks are ruled as "accidental" in Texas, no matter the circumstances.

5 people are dead for no good reason. Thats 5 too many.

Why are they dead? Because some ******* NEEDED, HAD TO HAVE, this one particular breed of dog that tends to kill people, instead of the hundreds (thousands?) of other breeds of dogs that are out there.

Is that a good enough reason for any deaths? So you can have a dog? I bet the families of those 5 people dont think so.

:rolleyes: Dude -- to put this in perspective, in 2004 42,636 people died in traffic accidents in 2004. That's roughly 117 people a day, or close to 5 people an hour. Where's the outrage? Where's the ES post about "Do people really need cars any more?"

Of those traffic accidents, 16,694 were alcohol related, or 39%. Where's the outrage? Where's the ES post about "Do people really need alcohol any more?"

These dogs can certainly be a threat, but the percentage is so small that its obviously NOT a trend, and more of an abnormality, which was my point about posting the percentages. Its ridiculous to even suggest destroying an entire breed of dogs because 5 people have been killed. (or 66 people in 20 years).

jrockster - You should be ashamed of yourself. Imagine if one of those 5 people were your family member. Then it would be important.

I'm looking at it from a statistical point of view. And from a statistical point of view, I feel that me and my family are completely safe from harm. Combine that with my personal experiences with the breed, and I've got no problem with the dogs. Its the owners that make them mean and train them to attack, its not the dogs themselves.

Here is a good cruelty case website:

http://www.pet-abuse.com/pages/cruelty_database/results.php?us_state=&ca_state=&uk_state=&nz_state=&au_state=&es_state=&type_id%5B%5D=3&type_id%5B%5D=10&type_id%5B%5D=22&type_id%5B%5D=14&type_id%5B%5D=19&type_id%5B%5D=4&type_id%5B%5D=7&type_id%5B%5D=23&type_id%5B%5D=9&type_id%5B%5D=21&type_id%5B%5D=2&type_id%5B%5D=1&type_id%5B%5D=11&type_id%5B%5D=8&type_id%5B%5D=6&type_id%5B%5D=20&type_id%5B%5D=16&type_id%5B%5D=17&type_id%5B%5D=12&type_id%5B%5D=15&type_id%5B%5D=18&type_id%5B%5D=13&animal_id%5B%5D=17&status=&month=&year=&gender=&keyword=&search=search

There are 621 cases currently listed with the abuse type(s) Beating, or Bestiality, or Burning - Caustic Substance, or Burning - Fire or Fireworks, or Choking / Strangulation / Suffocation, or Drowning, or Fighting, or Hanging, or Hoarding, or Kicking/Stomping, or Mutilation/Torture, or Neglect / Abandonment, or Other, or Poisoning, or Shooting, or Stabbing, or Theft, or Throwing, or Unclassified, or Unlawful Trade/Smuggling, or Unlawful Trapping/Hunting, or Vehicular with animals(s) dog (pit-bull). Results are displayed 25 per page.

Login or create an account for additional advocacy tools, including e-mail notifications when updates are posted to selected cases.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next»

Location / Date Title Name(s)

MD-Baltimore

Nov 29, 2005 Dog hung from pole

Hanging OPEN

OH-Toledo

Nov 27, 2005 Dogs burned with blowtorch during burglary

Burning - Caustic Substance OPEN

NY-Syracuse

Nov 27, 2005 Dog thrown from 6th floor window

Throwing ALLEGED

Charles M. Thomas

LA-Shreveport

Nov 26, 2005 Dog-fighting - 3 dogs seized

Fighting ALLEGED

WA-Finley

Nov 11, 2005 Two emaciated dogs found in home

Neglect / Abandonment ALLEGED

Man

PA-Harrisburg

Nov 10, 2005 6 pit bulls living in feces, no food - seized

Charles R Slaughter III

IL-Alton

Nov 9, 2005 Young female pit bull chained near sewage

Neglect / Abandonment NOT CHARGED

Woman

NY-Brooklyn

Nov 9, 2005 Dog thrown from fifth floor, resulting in death

Throwing ALLEGED

Alan DeCosta

PA-Philadelphia

Nov 8, 2005 Pit bull puppy stolen at gunpoint

Theft OPEN

TX-San Antonio

Nov 8, 2005 Animal cruelty, fighting suspected

Fighting ALLEGED

Man

PA-Steelton

Nov 8, 2005 Pit bull neglect - 6 seized

PA-Sheridan

Nov 3, 2005 Pit bull neglect, one found dead

Nancy Manuel

NY-Queens

Nov 2, 2005 Pit bulls starved nearly to death

Keidel Guy

OH-Columbus

Nov 1, 2005 Neglect, dog-fighting suspected

Fighting NOT CHARGED

Terry Hicks

AZ-Phoenix

Oct 27, 2005 Dog set on fire

Burning - Fire or Fireworks ALLEGED

14 year old boy

TX-Donna

Oct 27, 2005 3 dogs tied to tree, starved

Gregorio Escobar Jr.

NE-Omaha

Oct 26, 2005 4 puppies severely neglected

Neglect / Abandonment CONVICTED

Kendall Tealer

VA-Spotsylvania

Oct 24, 2005 Dog-fighting suspected - 10 dogs seized

Fighting NOT CHARGED

NY-Rochester

Oct 23, 2005 Pit bull starved to death

Ebony Siplin

OR-Medford

Oct 23, 2005 Dog stolen from shelter

Theft ALLEGED

Thomas John Miller

TX-San Antonio

Oct 23, 2005 Dog stabbed, resulting in death

Stabbing ALLEGED

Derrick Flores

SC-Johns Island

Oct 22, 2005 Neglect, dog-fighting suspected - over 24 dogs

Neglect / Abandonment, Fighting ALLEGED

Ronald Adams

NY-Brookfield

Oct 21, 2005 Dog shot with arrow

Shooting OPEN

AR-Baxter

Oct 21, 2005 Hoarding - between 400 and 500 dogs

Hoarding ALLEGED

Tammy Hanson

William Hanson

TX-Palestine

Oct 19, 2005 Dog-fighting - 4 dogs seized

Fighting ALLEGED

Chris Herndon

Now look at the number of "non pit bul dog"

There are 2,965 cases currently listed with the abuse type(s) Beating, or Bestiality, or Burning - Caustic Substance, or Burning - Fire or Fireworks, or Choking / Strangulation / Suffocation, or Drowning, or Fighting, or Hanging, or Hoarding, or Kicking/Stomping, or Mutilation/Torture, or Neglect / Abandonment, or Other, or Poisoning, or Shooting, or Stabbing, or Theft, or Throwing, or Unclassified, or Unlawful Trade/Smuggling, or Unlawful Trapping/Hunting, or Vehicular with animals(s) dog (non pit-bull). Results are displayed 25 per page.

http://www.mprgroup.net/misc/breeding.html

STATISTICS

Only 1 in 600 Pit Bulls will find a home - For every Pit Bull placed in a loving home 599 DIE!

PBRC is listing HUNDREDS of homeless Pit Bulls hoping for a chance... PETFINDER "THOUSANDS" of them.... (combine Pit Bulls, AmStaffs and StaffyBull Terriers and you will have over 5000 Pit Bull type dogs listed for adoption in Pet Finder alone.)

Pit Bulls are now the number one bred dog in the United States - Ironically, they are one of the hardest breed to find "good" homes for.

200 Pit Bulls are killed PER DAY in Los Angeles alone because there are not enough homes. Imagine in the rest of the country.

Every homeless Pit Bull that dies in the street and every one who sits hopeless in a shelter is the product of a breeder... either intentionally or accidentally...

75% of shelters nationwide euthanize all Pit Bulls without even trying to adopt them out.

One unspayed female dog, even by conservative calculations, can potentially be responsible for the birth of more than 67,000 dogs in just six years. Remember, Pit Bulls are the most overbred dog in America - think of how it adds up.

Pit Bull often make up to 40% of all dogs found in a shelter. In Kansas City alone, it is not rare to see almost half of the local pounds filled with Pit bulls and pit mixes, all scheduled to be destroyed if not claimed by their owner within 5 days.

Also for the APBT lover check out this site: (Warning if you look at Pit Bull abuse section it has disturbing pictures that not everyone could handle)

http://www.pitbullregistry.com/pitbullrescuedevelopment.htm

http://www.mprgroup.net/misc/breeding.html

STATISTICS

Only 1 in 600 Pit Bulls will find a home - For every Pit Bull placed in a loving home 599 DIE!

PBRC is listing HUNDREDS of homeless Pit Bulls hoping for a chance... PETFINDER "THOUSANDS" of them.... (combine Pit Bulls, AmStaffs and StaffyBull Terriers and you will have over 5000 Pit Bull type dogs listed for adoption in Pet Finder alone.)

Pit Bulls are now the number one bred dog in the United States - Ironically, they are one of the hardest breed to find "good" homes for.

200 Pit Bulls are killed PER DAY in Los Angeles alone because there are not enough homes. Imagine in the rest of the country.

Every homeless Pit Bull that dies in the street and every one who sits hopeless in a shelter is the product of a breeder... either intentionally or accidentally...

75% of shelters nationwide euthanize all Pit Bulls without even trying to adopt them out.

One unspayed female dog, even by conservative calculations, can potentially be responsible for the birth of more than 67,000 dogs in just six years. Remember, Pit Bulls are the most overbred dog in America - think of how it adds up.

Pit Bull often make up to 40% of all dogs found in a shelter. In Kansas City alone, it is not rare to see almost half of the local pounds filled with Pit bulls and pit mixes, all scheduled to be destroyed if not claimed by their owner within 5 days.

Also for the APBT lover check out this site: (Warning if you look at Pit Bull abuse section it has disturbing pictures that not everyone could handle)

http://www.pitbullregistry.com/pitbullrescuedevelopment.htm

People are scum.

Had to jump in and post here - I was bitten this week by a Rottweiler, bad enough to go to ER for irrigation and antibiotics. This is a dog I know, have sat on the floor with, and been licked in the face by. It really did seem unprovoked. I had just entered a friends house and the dogs were in the kitchen behind a baby gate. I asked the owner if I could approach and say hi, went to the gate and they both did the happy dance when they recognized me. I put my hands out for them to sniff (back of the hand, with fingers curled in, kind of like a fist) and I got lots of happy licks and then bang! I was half way over the gate and the Rottie had me by the left arm. It turns out the dog had bitten two other people (known to the dog) recently. So I went for treatment and the hospital said if it happened in Ffx county they HAD to take a report. They assured me it was just for informational purposes and the dog wouldn't be put down or anything. They also visited the owners and made sure the dog would be quarantined for 10 days. The owners wanted to put the dog down right away, and animal control said a) they couldn't do that within 10 days of a bite and B) the officer said this is the sweetest Rottie ever. He talked about other methods that might help and told them that Rotties have an issue with fences - so maybe by reaching over the gate, I was going into "his" territory. I also think it could have been jealousy with the second dog present. With alot of work, time and money I think training could help, but most owners aren't going to want to invest this into a dog that bites. I think that's what happens when people get a breed that they don't really know about (he was a sweet puppy that they rescued from a bad home). So I just don't know how I feel about it right now. He's always been the sweetest boy, but if he's biting people (and just not snapping, but biting and hanging on) then that's just unacceptable. Right now they are going to go the training route, and I hope that they succeed, and have the patience and tolerance to follow through.

I'm a professional pet sitter, and have been bit a few times over the years - my attitude has always been that all dogs can and will bite. But for a breed breakdown it's been:

Rottie - twice

Lab/chow - once

King Charles Cavalier Spaniel - once (food aggression, so I wouldn't call this one unprovoked).

These were the only times that were bad enough for medical attention - I'm not talking about nips or play bites.

I know this is long, but I just wanted to post my experience. I always felt it was bad owners that contributed to the aggression, but there is also inherent aggression in certain breeds and maybe they don't make the best pets. I don't know. Makes me sad. :(

Archived