Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thank you Vets

rdsknbill

One quick side note: there's a great parade going on right now outside my office on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan with marching bands and veterans of all ages, shapes and colors. It was really cool to watch. I think the fact that they closed the street shows how important veterans are to all of us, even in a big city that's sometimes detached from the military.

Thanks guys. If everything works out, this will be my last Veterans Day on active duty. To mark the occasion, the family and I went to the Arizona Memorial and dropped lei's in the water in memory of those that went down on the Arizona and every other vet, past and present.

I was walking into our university center to go grab a smoothie before class. At the entrance of the building was an elderly man sitting in a wheelchair...he was caring an American flag and had an old army hat on. I proceeded to head inside to grab a smoothie and as I was standing in line and about to order, I had an overwhelming urge to go talk to that man. So i jumped out of line and went to go find him. After about 5 minutes I finally tracked him down and said to him, "excuse me sir, are you a veteran?" and he said "why yes i am, WWII and Korea." And i shook his hand and thanked him.

I talked to him for a few minutes afterwards and it took everything I had to not cry infront of him. My grandfather, the greatest man ive ever met, fought in DDay. He passed away a few years back and I miss him like hell.

I got to thinking about how about half of my college campus probably didn't even know today was vet's day. That is one of the thing I reallly cant stand about my generation; our lack of appreciation and respect for the elderly. (i dont know if all young adults/teenagers act like this but i feel like my generation does it a great deal more than others).

Anyway, thank you veterans :)

a bit late in the day for this, but it's the first time i've been able to get on an post.

that being said, thank you, vets. your sacrifice of time, health, and family for the sake of keeping us all free is not appreciated enough in terms of both frequency or intensity. thank you for answering your country's call to arms. i stand here humbled.

I was walking into our university center to go grab a smoothie before class. At the entrance of the building was an elderly man sitting in a wheelchair...he was caring an American flag and had an old army hat on. I proceeded to head inside to grab a smoothie and as I was standing in line and about to order, I had an overwhelming urge to go talk to that man. So i jumped out of line and went to go find him. After about 5 minutes I finally tracked him down and said to him, "excuse me sir, are you a veteran?" and he said "why yes i am, WWII and Korea." And i shook his hand and thanked him.

I talked to him for a few minutes afterwards and it took everything I had to not cry infront of him. My grandfather, the greatest man ive ever met, fought in DDay. He passed away a few years back and I miss him like hell.

I got to thinking about how about half of my college campus probably didn't even know today was vet's day. That is one of the thing I reallly cant stand about my generation; our lack of appreciation and respect for the elderly. (i dont know if all young adults/teenagers act like this but i feel like my generation does it a great deal more than others).

Anyway, thank you veterans :)

Dana,

Your story got me a bit tight in the throat....my grandfather was also a veteran and passed away some years back. I took out the American flag that I got on the day of his funeral with all his medals on it and just reflected back to him.....to what he meant to me....and to what he must of went through in the war.....and to what all in active duty go through....

I'm having a few for you tonight grandpa.... :pint:

Archived