Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

T.O. holding live press conference from his home:

FunBunch7

Yea, I hear what your saying but a secrecy agreement is something totally different. If TO was going out and telling other teams their whole playbook it would be different. That would be doing something malicious. The Eagles would have no right to tell TO how to talk about anything else. He could go out and say "Andy Reid is so fat that it if he jumped in the ocean it would dry up" and they could do nothing about it.

But the issue is that "conduct detrimental to the team" probably has a broad definition in the contract to include speech that, well, detrimentally affects the team. Along with that definition is certainly some language that provides the Eagles front office and/or their coaches some discretion to determine where someone's words cross the line into the "conduct" definition. The example you mentioned, of a player providing the entire playbook to an opponent, would almost certainly fall into that category. But so would comments like those made by TO, at least I guarantee that's what the Eagles are going to argue in the grevience hearing.

Yea, I hear what your saying but a secrecy agreement is something totally different. If TO was going out and telling other teams their whole playbook it would be different. That would be doing something malicious. The Eagles would have no right to tell TO how to talk about anything else. He could go out and say "Andy Reid is so fat that it if he jumped in the ocean it would dry up" and they could do nothing about it.
But the issue is that "conduct detrimental to the team" probably has a broad definition in the contract to include speech that, well, detrimentally affects the team. Along with that definition is certainly some language that provides the Eagles front office and/or their coaches some discretion to determine where someone's words cross the line into the "conduct" definition. The example you mentioned, of a player providing the entire playbook to an opponent, would almost certainly fall into that category. But so would comments like those made by TO, at least I guarantee that's what the Eagles are going to argue in the grevience hearing.

Code of Conduct. ;)

Next question! :)

Would the Eagles be better off with Favre than McNabb? Hard to say since neither Favre nor McNabb play defense. Brett is a better passer but McNabb has that maneuverability factor. T.O. has a right to his opinion on that subject but why say it when it will publicly embarass YOUR QB? If he were with the Skins, would his 100th TD have been celebrated? ABSOLUTELY. That still doesn't mean you complain about your organization in the media.

Just because many of us agree that he's right is his assessments doesn't mean squat.

A HUGE rule in the game of life is "DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU". He bit the hand.

Yes, the media has blown it out of proportion but that's the nature of the beast in today's NFL. Don't give the mediots anything to work with and you don't have to worry. Attend the Joe Gibbs School of Coachspeak if you have to. Heck, if you're not hell bent on getting into the HOF, give them the Art Monk treatment and don't talk at all. If the guy ever does learn these lessons, it will be too late.

Bartlett's should add a picture of T.O. to the quote "It's better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt".

On the EMB, there is a thread called "ASK TO" being hosted by Drew himself, or so he says, but it is kinda obvious that it might be legit. So I felt the need to ask a question. Here is the question and TO's response.

QUOTE(kdot @ Nov 8 2005, 04:24 PM)

Here's a question....

I am a father of 4 wonderful young sons who actually thought the world of you last season because of your play. With your obvious actions off the field as far as comments about your QB and FO, you have turned even the youngest of fans against you. How do you feel as not only a football player, but as an Role Model about your affects on the youth? What I mean is the fact that regards of a childs age, race or background, you basically have shown them that it is okay to belittle teammates and authority figures. As a MAN and as a FATHER, how do you feel about your actions?

His response...

SRY. :(

I don't really know. All I can say is that the Eagles have every right not to like TO but they signed a contract with him and because he said something they didn't like is no valid reason to void it.

The contract isn't being voided. It's the exact opposite. They're honoring the contract by making him pay back a portion of his signing bonus because of his suspension.

I don't really know. All I can say is that the Eagles have every right not to like TO but they signed a contract with him and because he said something they didn't like is no valid reason to void it.

The Eagles can do what they are doing if its in his contract to keep a civil tounge in his mouth on team matters and he doesn't.

What you aren't understanding is that the 'Fredom of Speech' you keep talking about in the Bill of Rights only protects you from GOVERNMENT censure.

Not from employer censure.

Take your own job, for example (I assume you work ;) ). Do you think you could go to your job, start a feud with another employee, not talk to anyone for a week, and run down your employer and his business numerous times (VERY publicy, I might add), calling him/them 'classless', and expect to keep your job?

Owens shouldn't either. This is his JOB. He has to conduct himself at his job just like everyone else does at thiers or he loses it.

Owens is the one who poured the gasoline and torched this bridge. The Eagles just don't want to rebuild :)

I don't think so ahhyeaa, just think about (very common) confidentiality clauses. For example, consider if you are a contract employee with the government, especially with any kind of security clearance, your free speech rights are definitely limited by the terms of the employment agreement that you signed. Confidentiality, and/or limitations on speech, are an integral part of some types of employment. In any case, it's not that what he said was illegal or that his right to say something was restricted, it's that he didn't have free reign to say whatever he wanted without some kind of consequence--that's part of the deal he signed with the team.

Great response. :notworthy

I wish TO had made this statement the other day, instead of the one he did. The first one was about as sincere as me saying, I like the Dallas Cowboys. (never happen). I felt the sincerity in this apology, but I think the moment his agent opened his big mouth, it ruined the whole thing. TO needed to step up like a man, and answer the questions. I understand that legally there are some that cannot be answered, but TO could have said, no comment, just as easily as his agent could. Well, unfortunately for the both parties, it is too little too late. Or perhaps this was just a ploy to make himself more marketable for next year??????? TO a nice guy???

I am sitting here reading so many speak about civil rights and freedom of speech. Listen, if I walk up to a girl at work and say, hey you have nice breasts, although I have the freedom to speak it, my job has the right to suspend me or fire me for harrassment. The Eagles knew what TO'S rep was like, thats why the legal jargin in his contract about losing his signing bonus if he gets suspended. They and he knew this was a possibility as he had been suspended before in SF. You sign a contract, you live up to that contract, you mess up, you pay the piper. Period.

I suggest that when you go into work tomorrow you go up to your boss, tell him he's fat, and tell him he can't do anything about it because firing you would violate your civil rights ...

... Then you can pay a lawyer to tell you what "civil rights" actually means.

The grievance in this case is going to be decided based on the collective bargaining agreement. Nothing here rises to any level of unconscionability that would invalidate any contractual language. Courts also tend to be extremely deferential to labor agreements, so unless the Eagles are in violation of the CBA somehow, TO isn't going to be seeing a playing field for a while. He may still get paid most of his salary, but it doesn't sound like the Eagles even care about the money at this point.

I don't see why people think T.O. is done with his career, or even close to it. Now, he might have lost some money, but he could be on any team not named Philadelphia or San Francisco that has cap room. The media has blown a lot of this out of proportion, and this si a classic example of how we allow the media to influence our thought process and emotions to the extreme. T.O. did the wrong thing, but the extent to which he is being villified is somewhat questionable if not laughable.

Remember, Michael Westbrook did squat with his career and he got shot after shot because of his talent. Well, T.O. has Westbrook's athletcism and more PLUS he actually has a CAREER of ACCOMPLISHMENTS on his resume. T.O. will be making nice money next year, just not as much as he should have been making.

I'm going to predict that he takes the high road and avoid the temptation to blast the Eagles. I don't necessarily think he'll admit he was wrong, but I believe he'll avoid trying to go down swinging so as not to further damage his image.

Do you think he has that much self control?

What a fartin' train wreck. The WORST thing he did was put Rosenhaus out there to talk. He blew the entire train wreck. Don't put your agent out there telling people what's going on in your head. What a colossal mistake.

Mr. Owens didn't even seem genuine in the slightest. He was reading everything, and screwed up his delivery a few times, showing it wasn't coming from the heart. He never looked up and looked anyone in the eye. What a joke.

The thing that really sucks about this situation the most, some schmuck coach will pick him up next year thinking he can "change him." Some coach will act just like a chick, thinking that Owens loves "just him" "truly loves him" and Owens will proceed to totally defecate all over him and the current starting QB when the balls don't come his way as often as he would like.

I just broke my own cardinal rule by talking about this imbecile. I really do believe that if everyone stops talking about him, he may just go away. Therefore, tizzod...OUT!

Sorry if this has been covered ad infinitum....feel free to merge if necessary. Not that you needed me to tell you that! :laugh:

I thought maybe Rosenhaus wasn't as bad as he's usually made out to be, after reading about that incident earlier in the year where he saved a child from drowning, but nope, he's still a total tool.

This makes me think Phil Collins was watching, and Drew didn't want to get invited to a concert, because his time is more valuable than that.

I was actually feeling sorry for TO...............until Rosenhaus started talking.

Am I the only person that believes if Rosenhaus was not TO's agent, than TO would not be in the situation that he is in right now??

No, cuz TO is all about TO. Drew is just driving at this point, but TO got in the car.

"They BOUGHT their tickets. They KNEW what they were getting into. I say, 'Let 'em crash!'"

How the hell can ANYONE feel sorry for that POS?

Archived