Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dr. Z's Forecast: Beware of the Redskins

Major Harris

Dr. Z gave the 'skins mad love this week, but he still picked against us.

I looked for this on si.com, but couldn't find it, so i'll type it out. it's been a long time since i read something this positive.

Where do I begin the story of the 2005 Redskins? How about in the preseason forecasts, which- except for a few kind souls who ranked them 3rd in the NFC East- placed Washington squarely in the division cellar. And that, of course, would include the prediction of your faithful narrator.

Then there's the matter of Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs, as in "the game has passed him by," which was the media consensus last season. He had given up a perfectly good third-round draft choice for a quarterback, Mark Brunell, who everybody figured was finished. Gibbs's folly was just about booed out of the starting lineup and finally replaced by Patrick Ramsey when the team was 3-6. Brunell's back w/ the Redskins this season? Guess it doesn't hurt to have an insurance policy, though he's almost 35. But back on to the field he came after Ramsey went down with a neck injury in the first game. And then back into the starting lineup, from where he has led the Skins to 3-0.

And when I say led, I mean it, because Brunell has been doing some amazing things. Bill Parcells was 77-0 when his team took a lead of 13 or more points into the 4th quarter, but was 77-1 after the Redskins scored 14 in the final period to beat Parcells's Cowboys 14-13 in Week 2. All Brunell did on the first scoring drive was climb out of a third-and-27 hole with a 25 yard scramble and then a 20 yard completion. He followed that with a TD pass on fourth-and-15.

On Sunday, in the overtime drive that beat the Seahawks, Brunell converted two third-and-10 plays and a third-and-nine. On that third-and-nine, he rand for 18 yards like the wild scrambler he was nine years ago, when he led Jacksonville, a second-year expansion team, into the AFC Championship Game.

Brunell has launched a miracle season, but now comes the harsh light of reality: the Broncos in Denver. I think Washington will make it real close, but.....and here comes the bad news....I think Denver is a bit too tough at home.

Well you have to say something decent about a 3-0 team right Z. Despite what he says in this article, or for whatever reason he felt like saying it, he is always predicting our demise.

I think we will beat the Bronco's. And I do not believe they are toughest team we will face this year.

The reason why we have not gotten any love in the press the best 5+ years is because we haven't won. Now the fact we are winning and Dr. Z mentioned this earlier this week that he loved the discipline from this team.

Even some on this board were a little worried about the QB situation going into this year.

If we beat Denver then the rest of the nfl and media will take notice.

Piss off, Dr. Z. Day late and a dollar short. We can't use ya. If you don't believe from day one, then you don't believe. Get on down the road.

I reject his props.

EDIT: "I spurn you as I would spurn a rabid dog." Rowan Atkinson

Piss off, Dr. Z. Day late and a dollar short. We can't use ya. If you don't believe from day one, then you don't believe. Get on down the road.

I reject his props.

EDIT: "I spurn you as I would spurn a rabid dog." Rowan Atkinson

Okay, don't you think that's a little overboard? I mean, we all hate what he writes, but it's his job. If he thinks the 'Skins are going to suck, so be it. If he sees what the 'Skins have done so far this year and changes his mind, so be it. Not all sports journalists can be like Pastabelly and ignore the obvious. :silly:

Do you guys really think anybody is going to pick us to win AT Denver when our 3 wins have been by a total of 6 points with 3 of those points coming in OT?

It's nice to be optimistic but expecting everyone to pick the Skins to win this game isn't very realistic.

Archived