Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which move has the team made since Gibbs came back that has turned out bad?

daveakl

I think the biggest thing is not something we did but something we did not do, I think that we should have gotten someone to rush the QB. Either in F.A or in the draft. I think that if we had that we would be getting those turnovers with the D that we are lacking right now.

Here are some mistakes that I see that Gibbs has made. Understand that I FULLY support Gibbs - but nobody is perfect.

1) Resigning McCants to the big contract last year.

2) Not bringing in a younger more current offensive coordinator LAST YEAR.

3) Promising PR the starting job last fall if Gibbs really didn't have confidence in him.

4) This year's draft taking White, McCune, and Newberry (in the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds) - none of whom appear likely to contribute to the team this year if ever. I think with those picks you should be able to get SOMEBODY who can at least make your 53 man roster. Like DE Chris Canty who is going to be great for the pukes.

5) For the second year in a row not finding a way to add a more explosive pass rusher from the dline.

That's it. All mistakes. None horrible, but mistakes nonetheless.

lol, yea, it took me a second to finish it. I guess my point is that when you look at the offense and the defense all of these guys are in their 1st or 2nd year in the system. People that are saying we need to do this and that on the offense should remember this is the first time JG has used the shotgun, this is 2/5's of a new O-Line, we have 2 new recievers, we have a QB that is healty for the first time here.

On the D side we were in the top 5 last year and so far a top 5er this year. We have a new LB and a new DB. A second year player as our starting saftey. Young guys on the D-Line as well. Let them gel together. MW will being the heat when he sees fit, bend but not break when we have the lead. If Lavar isn't in and we are 3-0 is it a problem? If he is not playing well in practice why put him in so he can "prove to me on the field that he is making mistakes and be coached up". F-That!! I do not want to see Plummer fake out Lavar and throw a TD to prove to me he is not doing what the coaches say. Let them play him when THEY are ready, let them blitz the CB's when THEY think it is fit. Let them run play action on 1st down when THEY think it will work. THEY are coaching in the NFL for a reason.

Oh, and we are 3-0 baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you read my posts, you'll see that I'm an avid supporter of Gibbs...however I don't think this poll is too fair.

It is very tough to say that anything has turned out bad when you list the ones you've listed. You could make the argument that we didn't NEED to go get Portis and that we didn't NEED to give Brunell all that money...

However, I agree with what you're theme is...let's all sit back and enjoy the fact that our coach has a plan and goals and seems to be meeting them!

Not drafting Chris Canty. Imagine what Greg Blache could do with him!

I agree. We could have swooped him up in the 4th instead of Manuel White.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and I have faith that GW is looking to improve the front 4 in the 06 draft and FA.

We'll get there.

:cheers:

I think the biggest thing is not something we did but something we did not do, I think that we should have gotten someone to rush the QB. Either in F.A or in the draft. I think that if we had that we would be getting those turnovers with the D that we are lacking right now.

I agree.....I have been saying the same thing for a while now.

1) signing Mike Barrow was a bad move considering he has/had a rep for being injured (and he's was in his mid 30's playing LB).

2) failed and failing to address the DE situation via draft/FA/trade.

Can we ever convert LaVar to be strictly a pass rusher?

Uh, no, Barrow never has had a rep for being injured. This is pure fiction.

I wonder if we are missing Pierce, just a bit. I doubt he would have missed that tackle on Alexander on 4th and 3. Lemar screwed that one up. Some article said that Marshall had the line in a bad formation on that 4th down, but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

Here are some mistakes that I see that Gibbs has made. Understand that I FULLY support Gibbs - but nobody is perfect.

1) Resigning McCants to the big contract last year.

2) Not bringing in a younger more current offensive coordinator LAST YEAR.

3) Promising PR the starting job last fall if Gibbs really didn't have confidence in him.

4) This year's draft taking White, McCune, and Newberry (in the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds) - none of whom appear likely to contribute to the team this year if ever. I think with those picks you should be able to get SOMEBODY who can at least make your 53 man roster. Like DE Chris Canty who is going to be great for the pukes.

5) For the second year in a row not finding a way to add a more explosive pass rusher from the dline.

That's it. All mistakes. None horrible, but mistakes nonetheless.

That's a pretty good list.

No doubt that some of Gibbs' decisions made last year are starting to look much better now. Winning usually has this type of effect on the how anyone views a coach. Who would have thought that Brunell would turn back the clock all the sudden? Holdman over Lavar seems ridiculous to the casual observer. Smoot's loss appeared to be devastating. Pierce was a tackling machine. Yet all these decisions have contributed to the one most important fact: 3-0

I think not pushing harder to sign Pierce is about the only move I question. Marshall is doing a solid job in the middle but Pierce really came into his own in this defense and was a big part of why we were so successful.

The money the Giants offered was insane no doubt, but it seems like we could have worked a bit harder to keep him.

Not Benching Brunell earlier last season

I disagree. While they tried to win every game last year, last year wasn't primarily about last year. Last year was primarily about this year and next year and the next year after that. Gibbs used last year to build a team attitude. He found out who he needed to dump (Coles, Gardner, etc.). Gibbs stuck with a struggling QB and so did the rest of the team.

Archived