Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gregg Williams Chat -- CHAT TRANSCRIPT HERE (**AUDIO NOW ADDED**)

Art

Gregg Williams Chat, Sept. 29, 2005

From paredskinsfansclub

I have one simple question. Are our Washington Redskins playoff bound in 2005?

Gregg Williams:

You know, each and every year our #1 goal is making the playoffs and this is a long season and we’ve gotten off to a really good start, but the playoffs are where we want to be and we’re not satisfied if we don’t make it. (Audio Response)

From E-Dog Night

You said in "60 seconds with a Redskin" that Sean Taylor was your favorite pro athlete. Could you elaborate on that a bit?

Gregg Williams:

At that time of the year, Sean was getting pounded by a lot of people and I just wanted to make sure everybody knew, that from my perspective, he’s a great kid. I know him behind the scenes the way a lot of the fans, up until this year when he’s been more open with them, didn’t know exactly how he was. I just wanted to make sure everybody knew that he is a good person. And by my stepping out there and defending a player that I coach, I think it might have shed some light on what a tremendous joy it is for me to coach him and also, for the fans, to have him playing in the Redskin uniform at Fed Ex Field. (Audio Response)

Follow-up from Art

You have to get him to talk more – he’s definitely reluctant to talk to people with recorders…

Gregg Williams:

He is a real private individual. I think that comes with maturation. He’s a very young player and a very young person and the word ‘trust’ does not come easy with him, you’ve got to earn his trust. I think the fact that I have earned his trust is the reason he’s so open around me. I really really enjoy coaching him. (Audio Response)

From KingGibbs

Thank you for bringing the 'Capital Punishment' back to our beloved Redskins. My question is echoed by thousands of Skins fans. Can you find it in your heart to stay here and take over for Gibbs after he leaves or goes upstairs? We as Skins fans are starving for stability and continuity and you would bring that. Not to mention, stability would let you hit the ground running. You are a big reason that we have legitimate hope for this season and beyond! Also, not to make you feel guilty, but I'm sure your children would love to finish school here.

Gregg Williams:

Well, the Williams family loves living here in Virginia and it’s a great place for my family to be right now. I’m not very far from Princeton University where my son plays college football and my two other children love living here and love the school districts that they participate in. We enjoy being Washington Redskins, and we enjoy living in the Nation’s Capital, one of the most powerful cities in the world. So it would have to be something very, very extreme for me to leave the Redskins or finally, if Dan Snyder gets tired of Gregg Williams and asks me to leave (laughs). But if you look at my coaching history, in 25 or 26 years of coaching, I’ve only moved 4 times and that’s relatively amazing in the coaching world. In fact, the first organization I was with, the Houston Oilers/Tennessee Titans, I was there for 11 years and only moved on for a head coaching opportunity, and its not that important for me any more to have the head coaching title. The most important thing to me in my career right now is that my family’s happy. These three questions I have to be able to answer a ‘yes’ to, and that’s ‘what am I doing?’, ‘where’s it at?’, and ‘who’s it with?’, and all three of those are definite pluses and yes’s right now in my coaching career, and I really enjoy being a Redskin. (Audio Response)

From johnjack

We often hear you speak of packages, and we all assume that we understand what you mean when you say this. Would you define exactly what you mean by a package? Is it personnel given a certain down, distance, coverage and or blitz?

Gregg Williams:

We refer to the word packages as being synonymous with personnel and with personnel groupings and we have code words, code names on how to get the right number of defensive linemen, the right number of linebackers, and the right number of DB’s on the field. And currently we’ve got about 23 different packages of how we add up to the 11 players on the field. More specifically, we even identify what type of defensive back, is it a safety type or a corner type, in some of the substitution packages that we use. In the fact that we are multiple in packages, we’re really quite simple in scheme. But the fact that we change body types, and player numbers, and jersey numbers out there, it causes confusion for offensive systems, offensive protections, and that’s what we’re trying to do is create an advantage for the defense by moving people around but keeping it simple enough for us to know what to do and how to do it. (Audio Response)

From paredskinsfansclub

Sports Writer George Solomon said in his column that the fans causing the Bears false start penalties in week 1 with all the crowd noise was "bush league". What is your opinion on this matter and would you like us to give you a repeat performance Sunday against the Seahawks?

Gregg Williams:

Well I feel very strong about the fact that the Washington Redskin’s fans love the Washington Redskin’s defense. The defensive players for the Washington Redskins love having a home stadium that is the largest in the National Football League. We believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that our 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th + defender is our fans. It’s our job to give our fans something to cheer about. We’ve got to make plays on defense and get them excited about cheering for the defense but it is a definite advantage when our home crowd makes it tough on the opponent’s offense’s communication systems. It should be that way when you’re playing at home and we encourage them to be more vocal every single time we step out there, and when we win games it’ll get even louder. It has to be a feared place for opponent’s to come into, and that’s what we’re trying to do at Fed Ex Field is make the opposition scared to come in and play and have to be in front of our fans. (Audio Response)

From mccarey032

Thanks for bringing back our defense to respectability! Joe Gibbs coached teams are often known for their second half adjustments. What type of adjustments were made in the second half to assure that the team could still be in the game? Did you deviate from your normal game plan?

Gregg Williams:

The mark of a good pro staff is the ability to work on game day. Everybody has answers the day after the game, the week after the game. But you’ve got to be able to have the answers, to counter when it’s most important, and that’s the day of the contest. The difference between high school football and college football is you see high school teams adjust week to week and you see college teams adjust usually from half to half. Pro teams have to adjust immediately, before the next play comes. What you’ll see our defensive staff, and we’re recognized as one of the top staffs in the National Football League on working on game day and making adjustments, you’ll see us working extremely hard from series to series to series on using pictures, the still pictures, grouping our players up before they go out for the next series because we can’t afford to make the same mistake that we made the series before if we’re going to win more games. The mark of a good staff, and especially a Joe Gibbs staff is, being able to work very effective and work when it counts, and that’s on game day. (Audio Response)

From Hollywood2k3

First, I wanted to say what a great job you, Dale Lindsey and Greg Blache are doing with our defense. I wanted to know is the reason that LaVar isn't in more of your packages because he's not 100% yet or do you and Dale Lindsey think that Warrick Holdman is better in pass coverage or just more “system-sound”?

Gregg Williams:

You know, it’s our job as a defensive staff to play as many guys as we can, because it’s a real long season, filled with quite a few injuries. Lavar’s got a very good team attitude right now and he’s working very, very hard to get back playing at a level that helps us win games. He’s improving daily, and he’s improving weekly and he will play more. But it’s more important that the team is playing well, and how you fit in with the team. He’s doing his part, and believe me, when he’s up to speed and he’s playing at that level, he’ll play as much as we can get him on the field. (Audio Response)

From millardcd

First of all let me say that I love the job you have been doing with the defense. I love a blitzing "D". My question is in the Dallas Game Bledsoe wasn't sacked once and had all day in the pocket to throw, in the bye week were there any adjustments made to create more of a pass rush. Also in the Dallas game it seemed like after the first quarter there was hardly any blitzing, was this done on purpose?

Gregg Williams:

We still believe and will continue to believe that we are a pressure-oriented defense. In the first game against Chicago and Kyle Orton, we pressured 70% of the time in that ball game. We came out in Dallas against Drew and 7 out of our first 10 plays were pressure. But what Bill Parcells, and a well-coached team did was over-commit to protection, and over-commit to getting the ball out of Drew’s hands, meaning that Drew was going to throw the football before you got to him anyway. We did a very good job as a staff countering and committing to coverage. We need to continue to get better on being able to hit the quarterback when we commit to coverage and that always will be a big thing for us on improving our pass rush when we’re only rushing 4 or 3. But the staff did a good job, in that game, about countering during the game on what Dallas was trying to do to get an advantage. And we took that away. (Audio Response)

From KDawson

Coach Williams as great as our defense is we have been sorely lacking in the turnover dept. What are your plans to generate more turnovers?

Gregg Williams:

We commit to and prioritize takeaways on defense as an extremely important area we have to improve. We spend an awful lot of time in practice on specific drills that are designed to teach players how to take the ball away. We spend an awful lot of time in the film room with training tapes and film cut-ups showing how, when and where to take the ball away. The next step for us to be a dominant team and most feared defense in the league is to actually take the ball away more. We had two in the opening game, and we had three hit us in the hands that we didn't take care of and didn't come up with. And we had two or three in the Dallas game that for whatever reason officially they ruled as incomplete passes, when they probably could have been ruled as fumbles -- that's just part of the game. But in order for us to win more games, we have to do a better on defense in taking the ball away, to shorten the field for our offense and turning it in to points.(Audio Response)

From LiveStrongSkins

I don’t know if you remember or not, but I met you after the Pittsburgh/Washington Pre-season game. You signed a football and hat for me! I then pleaded for you to stay in DC and you said that you have no urge to leave and your children are in school here and love the area. My question is will you please ignore any head coaching offers?

Gregg Williams:

I really appreciate the fans, and I get an opportunity to meet many of them on game day before and after the game. I do remember this gentleman ... and again, like I said, my family really enjoys living here. I do have to take a look at every opportunity that comes along for the betterment of my family, but I can tell you that being a Washington Redskin right now is the most important thing on our minds, because we want our kids to finish school here and enjoy having roots here in Virginia and the Washington DC area. It'll be easy---I can say no and I will say no. I said no last year to opportunities to be a head coach again.(Audio Response)

From ES Community

Though nearly every question fans asked of you contains gratitude and love for the job you’ve done and are doing, this question is the most important we can ask. Your answer will cause thousands of fans to turn on you in an instant or embrace you even more.

Simply…gas or charcoal?

Gregg Williams:

I prefer charcoal ... but because my life is so hectic, gas is faster and easier, so that's what I use. (Audio Response)

ES Staff Note: This is an excellent answer. He knows it’s coal all the way, but, gas is easier when watching film. No one else on this forum HAS this excuse 

From Oldfan

Obviously opponents with great offensive personnel are troublesome, but I was wondering, of the other 31 teams, which team's offensive scheme is the most difficult to prepare for and why?

Gregg Williams:

Each week, we go at stopping the opponent's scheme, but really spend more time taking a look at how to neutralize and hopefully stop personnel. I really believe that personnel are much harder to defend than scheme. I think some of the best athletes in the NFL are playing the wide receiver position now, and our number one priority really, over scheme, is being able to find ways to match up versus the personnel mismatches that occur in the league today. (Audio Response)

From Jumbo

You're a real Redskin to us and I hope you're here for a long time Coach Williams. What are some of your thoughts regarding any differences in the off-season and practice session work schemes of Joe Gibbs compared to your previous experiences?

Gregg Williams:

I think that this past year, Coach is still as hard-working, dedicated, making sure that nobody's going to outwork this staff or outwork him. Some of the changes that I have noticed is that we spend a lot more time on situational work within our practice schedule, and our training camps and our off-season, that I think has helped us tremendously. At this point in time the biggest change I see with us as a team, especially on offense, is that we have more speed on the field at any one time than we had all of last year.(Audio Response)

From moneyede

You say our receivers give the defense fits in practice, yet our passing game seems stagnant in the games. As a defensive coordinator, what do you think is the main thing our offense needs to do to improve its productivity and consistency?

Gregg Williams:

No doubt, we have to cut down on our missed opportunities for big plays. And when I say that, what I mean is that there are plays out there every game that for whatever reason, we've slightly overthrown, or we've not quite come up with the catch and had a drop ... we just haven't executed and finished the play. But the plays are there, and the reason they're there is because of the speed that we've improved on the offensive side of the ball. The next step -- and hopefully you saw how it happened at the end of that Dallas game -- is that when we get that connection going, we've got a chance for huge plays. We've just got to quit missing the opportunities that are there.(Audio Response)

From DwightFry

Do you think the offensive philosophies used during Coach Gibbs' first tenure, and plays such as the "Counter Trey", are still effective today, and, if so, do you have anything in your bag of tricks to neutralize such an approach?

Gregg Williams:

If you take a look at every offense in the National Football League, it now uses parts of what was successful in Joe Gibbs' first tenure here. Everybody uses a part of the counter-trey, everybody uses a lot of the multiple shifts and movements, and the quick and the deep passing game, and the deep over routes that you see that have been a trademark of the Joe Gibbs offensive teams. As far as neutralizing them, the big thing is that you've just got to be able to match up with the personnel at the key times in the ball game. But I think that you'll see us be more explosive as we get more comfortable working together, and that just comes from being around and keeping the staff consistent, and keeping the players consistent, as Coach Gibbs has pledged to do.(Audio Response)

From SkinsNut73

In your experience as a defensive coordinator and head coach, who was the toughest player you ever had to game plan for? Along those same lines, which team was the toughest to game plan for?

Gregg Williams:

You know, not that he's over the hill yet, but probably when Marshall Faulk was in his prime and at the peak of his game, he was by far to me the toughest player to defend. He had the power and strength and elusiveness as a running back to bust you in the run front, but [also] had unbelievable ability to get out there in the open field in the passing game and win [against] any linebacker that you had to try to cover him with ... and many DB's couldn't cover him [either]. I think Mike Martz, during that time with Marshall's explosiveness in his prime, probably was the toughest team to defend. They came up a yard more than us in the Super Bowl---they were tough to handle.(Audio Response)

From Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Is acquiring a pass-rushing defensive end, the final piece of the puzzle for your defense? In Tennessee you had Jevon Kearse and I know that you stress stopping the run (which our line is great at) but do you plan on upgrading the pass-rush from the line itself in the future?

Gregg Williams:

We're always looking to try to upgrade the pass rush. I think that's one of the biggest things that the dominant defense can do---win with four guys rushing the passer and not having to always be committed to pressure. When we do that, when we get better in that area, that doesn't mean we're going to stop pressuring, because that's our M.O.---that's who we are. But I don't think you can have enough great pass rushers on your team, and we will never pass up an opportunity to acquire one.(Audio Response)

From JoeKnowsBest

Are you disappointed that Cornelius Griffin doesn't get more recognition around the league? He's one of our most valuable defensive players, yet he seems to also be the most under rated in the league. He should have gone to the Pro Bowl last year. What do you say to a guy that has worked and done so well for you but is still over looked by every one else? Do you think if we win more, he'll get the recognition he deserves?

Gregg Williams:

I think Cornelius played at a Pro Bowl level last year, and I was disappointed he didn't make it. To tell you the truth, there's not a defensive tackle in the league I'd rather have over him right now. I think he's playing at a very high level, I think he has a tremendous team attitude, I think he's got strong character and is a positive leader on our team. And when our team wins more games, that recognition is going to be passed down to not only Cornelius, but to a lot of our football players and every aspect of our team. Nothing substitutes for winning, and when you do win more games, the recognition will pass throughout the entire team.(Audio Response)

From Riggo-Toni

One of most impressive things since your arrival has been the nearly flawless selection of defensive players at reasonable or bargain cap numbers. While many of the so-called experts in the media ridiculed us for supposedly overspending on Shawn Springs and Cornelius Griffin, for example, they've proven themselves to be among the very best at their respective positions and now their salaries look like relative bargains. Is it safe to say that you have the greatest input and perhaps even final say on whom the sign to play D, and what the ballpark cap numbers should be?

Gregg Williams:

You know one of the best things about how we do things at the Redskins which is Gibbs way of doing things is our personnel dept and our coaching staff work hand in hand and are on the same page. We work together, it’s not a separate entity working against each other. We work together. We have a lot of input and say – together. But to be quite truthful, on the top of my checklist of things before making the decision to come to the Washington Redskins and be a part of Joe Gibbs and the Redskins was to make sure that I would have input on the defensive personnel an I would have input on our defensive staff, which I think is one of the best staffs in the NFL. And I would have the ability to call the defense and be in charge of the defense. Joe Gibbs has allowed me and our staff to have that say, but its working hand in hand with our personnel who’s done a tremendous job in a short amount of time to learn what kind of players we would like. (Audio Response)

From Winning Season Please!

First I want to speak for all Redskins fans and say. Thank You for staying with us and giving us stability. I would also like to say that Redskins nation as a whole fears the end of this season and the possibility that you could leave, so please don't disappoint us! :(

Anyways, on to the question. In the first two games it seams as if you have not blitzed as much as expected and we seem to have a lot of trouble putting pressure with just our line. Is the reason for the lack of blitzes comes from lack of opportunity, or has your manner of defense changed this year? Also, do you see the lack of pressure from our front four a potential problem?

Gregg Williams:

One of the problems is that last year, we snuck up on a few people. We shocked several of our opponents by how much we did pressure. We’re not going to sneak up on anybody this year. People have spent the whole off-season coaching their QBs and coaching their offensive teams to get rid of the ball quickly. So, we’ve had to counter with that on several other ways to get off the field and play effective defense. Our staff has done a very good job of that. We are still pressuring the same amount we always have. Its been very effective. The most important things about being a good defense is points allowed and taking the ball away. We’ve done a great job on points allowed – giving up a TD after a turnover on a poor special teams play, and then on a gadget play against Dallas. The next step we gotta do – with or without pressure - is take the ball away if we want to be a better defense. That is something that’s a priority and we’ve got to do. (Audio Response)

From bpoch

What have you been able to learn from Coach Gibbs that you feel can help you when you decide to become a head coach again?

Gregg Williams:

The top thing I’ve learned is to make sure that I surround myself with quality people, and them being able to handle things that you can’t handle yourself. More specifically, like having a coach be in charge administratively of things that I don’t want to do which would take me away from actually coaching the players. I desperately want to always be involved with coaching the players – I think I am pretty decent at doing that. As a head coach the first time around, I wasn’t able to do that as much as I would have liked. He’s hired enough staff and enough help to make sure that he is still involved in day-to-day coaching duties and that is what I’ll do the next time too. (Audio Response)

From woolley83

Coach, do you have a response prepared for that high-powered Eagles offense? They have so many weapons, how do you neutralize their attack?

Gregg Williams:

You know, last year in the second game that we played them down here on ESPN Sunday night, we did a pretty good job. We had a really tough hard-fought game and came out on the losing end of a 17-14 contest. Make no bones about it, if we want to be a better football team and get to the playoffs we have to do a better job within the division. We happen to be in a division who has the last NFC Champions in it, and we have to do whatever it takes to overcome and win in that contest if were going to be a playoff football team. (Audio Response)

From Flexxskins

With you having the opportunity to have coached a few NFL teams now, have you found that each team has something, some characteristic within itself that makes that team special?

If so, in your opinion, what makes the Washington Redskins a special team?

Gregg Williams:

I think the fact that the fans here in Washington are very special, and that living in the Nation’s Capital, one of the most powerful cities in the world, makes that whole Washington Redskin’s thing very, very special. The Washington Redskin’s tradition - I feel very honored to be on a Joe Gibb’s staff. It was a real easy decision for me to make, to come down here to be a part of a Hall of Fame coach’s staff. I hope that we can stay together for an awfully long time. (Audio Response)

From Heavy Jumbo

In a chat with us last week, Clinton Portis said, “Here, practice is like a game – you’re full pads, you’re struggling to get through practice. And when you get into the game, you’re still tired from the week.”

Do you think some guys are getting too tired during practice, and when game day comes along, are too worn out to perform at their highest level?

Gregg Williams:

To be quite honest with you, it always irritates me when I hear a professional athlete complain about working too hard. We get paid an awful lot of money to be in the best shape of our lives, to execute at the highest level that we can in order to win games – and its about winning games – and I think that if you take a look at the top players in professional sports in general, all across whatever professional sports you want to look at, the common denominator of those top people are they outwork the opponent. When this staff got together, one of the first things that we had to do was to change the culture here on how hard you have to work if you want to be a championship team. And if you look back on all the championship teams that Joe Gibbs has coached, the biggest advantage and the most common denominator he had was, they outworked the opposition. To be quite honest, I don’t think we’ve even come close to working hard enough yet, because we’re not winning enough games. (Audio Response)

From Kg212656

With Lemar Marshall moving from outside linebacker to the middle and Walt Harris coming in to start from the nickel last season our D hasn't missed a beat. We seem just as quick, aggressive, and unrelenting as last season, perhaps even more so with the return of Lavar and Sean Taylor seems poised for a break out year. Does your defensive system suit players who are able to adapt to different positions on the field? What are some of the characteristics you look for in a great defensive team and a great defensive player?

Gregg Williams:

One of the questions I’m most often asked is ‘what kind of players do you like?’ and I like good football players. And I think the definition of a good football player is someone that’s smart and tough. We have a criteria that we really look at that really is above and beyond the ability of that particular player, and that’s commitment to football - how hard do they want to work? How smart are they? Are they committed to the team over the individual? And then, what’s their physical ability to play the position? What we do as a staff here is somewhat unique, in that we don’t force the player into a particular system. We take a look collectively on what the talent level is at each position and who we have a chance to coach, and then we fit the system to the players. And the things this staff has done, and again I’ll say that we have one of the best defensive coaching staffs in the National Football League, is that we have quickly identified that this is the group of guys that we have to coach here for the Redskins. And we’ve been able to adapt and put them in the right places. But to their credit, they’ve bought into how we want them to play, and the guys that are smart and tough are always going to play. (Audio Response)

From Drex

I reside in the Tennessee area and have witnessed first hand the success of your Titans defenses throughout your tenure as their D-Coordinator.

Compare those Titans defenses to the defense you currently preside over in D.C.

Gregg Williams:

That last defense that I had there at Tennessee was the #1 ranked defense when Baltimore was getting a lot of credit for being the top defense, but we actually were there at Tennessee. We were like seven out of the top nine categories, and really #1 overall on defense that year. That was a very, very athletic defense and what it was able to do, not only effect field position on total yards, but it was able to affect the big play. We led the league that year with the big play quotient, which was sacks + turnovers added together, and nobody had more negative plays against them than when they played against the Tennessee Titans because we were able to take the ball away and sack the quarterback better than anybody in the league combined. That’s the next step that we have to do here. We’ve mentioned it in several of the questions before, taking the football away and continue to put more pressure on the quarterback. This team here has a tremendous toughness and character, and has a very, very good chemistry to it. The next step is making some big plays to help our offense. (Audio Response)

From skinsplay

Coach Williams, thanks for the stellar defense so far. Keep punishing our opponents. Are you comfortable with our depth on the D-Line. Now that Mr. Noble is on IR, a solid run stopper, I may add, I'm even more nervous about the DLine rotation or more importantly if one of our big guys (like Mr. Griffin) gets hurt, the middle may be loose. I know the guys on defense have been stepping up when called upon, but I've seen this only on the LB and secondary level. Just tell me it's going to be ok, so I can rest better.

Gregg Williams:

We work hard on keeping enough defensive linemen around that we’re able to roll in a lot of guys, and one of the things that we do is play our guys a lot. If we dress 7 guys on game day, all 7 guys play because we have to keep them fresh. We’ve got 9 guys on our team right now on the defensive line. We’re constantly looking to add to that with good, young, developmental players and if you take a look at Greg Blache’s history, he’s always been able to get the most out of what people term as ‘journeymen’ defensive lineman. And that smart, tough, hardworking, hard-nosed guy - Greg Blache has gotten the most out of any defensive line coach in the league. We’ve got enough of those kind of guys to continue to play, but we’re never going to turn down looking for more. (Audio Response)

From dccat

Why do you use the Defensive Starters on kick coverage, I know they may be the best tacklers, but wouldn't that make the DB's in Particular a little winded on the 1st down of the next play?

Gregg Williams:

The first two ball games we dressed 21 guys on game day on defense. And we believe all 21 guys are defensive starters because we play them all on game day. And unless someone can show me that the special teams plays are a commercial break, we’ve got to have our best players out there to effect field position. You know, when you cover a punt, the first play of the defensive series is actually covering the punt. We gotta put the ball in the right spot and make the field as long as it can be. I want our defensive guys out there covering that punt to make sure that that’s the first play of the defensive series. The same thing on kick-off coverage. The first play of our defensive series is going to be covering that kick, and getting them pinned back and make the field as long as possible. So unless someone can show me that that’s actually a commercial break, and you don’t have to play that play, we need to have our best players out there to help us win games.(Audio Response)

From Butch

Who is the fastest defensive back on the team?

Gregg Williams:

Right now, it’s probably a toss-up with two of the younger players that we have on defense. And that would be Ade Jimoh and Carlos Rogers. But I wouldn’t discount right now that Santana Moss might be the fastest guy on our team….with Antonio Brown gone….the only person to beat Antonio Brown in college in track meets was Santana Moss.(Audio Response)

From Gregg Williams

Closing Statement

Gregg Williams:

Well, our fan base is extremely important to us at the Washington Redskins and again, I mentioned several times tonight in answering the questions that there’s no more fun than to go out on FedEx Field, the largest stadium in the National Football League, playing in front of our fans. In venues like this, we get a chance to touch and feel and talk and communicate with fans that might not have a chance to get into a game at FedEx Field. We know how hard it is to get a ticket. And any way we can touch and feel the fans I think it’s important for us to do that. This is a very important part of it. We appreciate everything they do for us. We just hope we can win more games and entertain them as much as we can. That’s Joe Gibbs #1 criteria. He didn’t come back to be 2nd and I didn’t come here to be 2nd either. We want to be the best team we can be and that’s winning more Super Bowls for this franchise. We’re off in the right direction, we’re moving in the right direction. It’s not going to be an easy process, its going to be hard to do. But it’s something that we think we’re going to be able to do, and by surrounding ourselves with more people that have that same character, toughness, and intelligence that Joe Gibbs wants, we’re going to be able to win a lot of games for our fans. (Audio Response)

***props to Tarhog for adding in the audio***

that was the best interview so far. coach williams seemed like he was being extremely candid and giving us real answers (not coachspeak). best answer was his response to clinton's quote. hell-freakin-yeah, brothers!

I thought from a depth of question, quality of question, time and intelligence, depth of answer this was the best chat by far. The questions were much better to select from than many of the past chats.

Art.

To be quite honest with you, it always irritates me when I hear a professional athlete complain about working too hard. We get paid an awful lot of money to be in the best shape of our lives, to execute at the highest level that we can in order to win games – and its about winning games – and I think that if you take a look at the top players in professional sports in general, all across whatever professional sports you want to look at, the common denominator of those top people are they outwork the opponent. When this staff got together, one of the first things that we had to do was to change the culture here on how hard you have to work if you want to be a championship team. And if you look back on all the championship teams that Joe Gibbs has coached, the biggest advantage and the most common denominator he had was, they outworked the opposition. To be quite honest, I don’t think we’ve even come close to working hard enough yet, because we’re not winning enough games.

Anyone else think that Williams will tell the defense to hit the offense just a "little" harder during practices now? :)

I think GW's answers on Lavar was pretty revealing. Seems to me that in GW's eyes, Lavar isn't where he needs to be in his mindset and physically to be on the field more. More importantly though, is that he hinted that LA will be there very soon. Can't wait for that. I guarantee you will see a correlation to turnovers/QB pressure (2 things GW wants) when #56 stays in the game going forward this season. Nice.

Anyone else think that Williams will tell the defense to hit the offense just a "little" harder during practices now? :)

I think we'll see a flood of threads started on that answer.

Also, big props to Art for getting this one done, and to Tarhog, Om, & Blade for transcribing it last nite. Outstanding job guys.

I'm thinking an index page of all of his interviews/chats would be a cool feature to have.

I'm thinking an index page of all of his interviews/chats would be a cool feature to have.

Yeah the fans flaunt how much they love the team, with this awesome access to (it seams) whomever we (as fans) want the team/franchise are showing it goes both ways. Pin a post with links for now then maybe some time down the line have a seperate forum with all the posts in date order of when they happened instead of last post. You know you're gonna want to look back at these interviews for years to come....

(Something like the Press Box but with these threads in 'cos I like reading the hero worship responses too :silly: )

Yeah the fans flaunt how much they love the team, with this awesome access to (it seams) whomever we (as fans) want the team/franchise are showing it goes both ways. Pin a post with links for now then maybe some time down the line have a seperate forum with all the posts in date order of when they happened instead of last post. You know you're gonna want to look back at these interviews for years to come....

(Something like the Press Box but with these threads in 'cos I like reading the hero worship responses too :silly: )

We've already got such a forum.

www.extremeskins.com/portal

It's in our Extremeskins Archive section under ExtremeSkins Chats.

:notworthy

Wow awesome interview Art. Incredible really. Greg didn't hold back, he answered every question fully. My respect for Greg Williams was already so high but now I don't know what to say... Gregs the ****ing man!

I was a little concerned about our defensive guys on ST's as well but man...

And unless someone can show me that the special teams plays are a commercial break, we’ve got to have our best players out there to effect field position.
No more concerns here... Why would I ever question this man?

Archived