Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Congrats to our friends at CPND.

Art

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/04/AR2005080401208.html

News Corp. buys Internet sports company Scout Media

Reuters

Thursday, August 4, 2005; 2:43 PM

NEW YORK (Reuters) - News Corp.'s <NWS.N> newly formed Fox Interactive Media purchased privately owned online sports company Scout Media Inc., the company said Thursday.

The purchase is part of an Internet acquisitions binge that has seen it recently spend $580 million to buy social networking company Intermix Media Inc. <MIX.A>

Financial terms were not disclosed.

Scout's network of sports Web sites consists of 200 local, team-focused sites and 47 publications that cover professional, college and high school team sports.

The sites have a subscription base of over 200,000 and 2.4 million unique visitors per month, Scout said in a statement.

News Corp.'s Fox Interactive division oversees sites related to its sports cable channels including SPEED, Fox College Sports and Fox Sports Net's 20 regional sports networks.

Scout was launched and funded by former National Football League player Bernie Kosar in 2001.

News Corp. shares fell 9 cents to $17.13 on the New York Stock Exchange in afternoon trading.

By "bigger things", I'm personally hoping that means that this board becomes the official team message board or something. Do you guys realize how hooked up we'd be with footage from practice and interviews, etc., with that set up?

Thanks for the kind words and kudos, guys. I've been with Scout.com in an official capacity just since last April, but I can tell you that it's one smart group of folks running that operation. I was very impressed before this Fox thing happened and I'm blown away now.

Just to correct one thing brought up here, WarpathInsiders.com, just like all of the Scout.com sites, is not a totally pay site. Some of the sites have message boards for members only; we do not and all of our message boards are free for all to use. As to the other content, Scout recommends a 50-50 blend of free and premium articles, I tend to run us a bit under that, about 60-40 in favor of free. A lot of quality stuff is free.

Thanks again,

Rich Tandler

Editor-In-Chief

WarpathInsiders.com

Originally posted by rtandler

Thanks for the kind words and kudos, guys. I've been with Scout.com in an official capacity just since last April, but I can tell you that it's one smart group of folks running that operation. I was very impressed before this Fox thing happened and I'm blown away now.

Just to correct one thing brought up here, WarpathInsiders.com, just like all of the Scout.com sites, is not a totally pay site. Some of the sites have message boards for members only; we do not and all of our message boards are free for all to use. As to the other content, Scout recommends a 50-50 blend of free and premium articles, I tend to run us a bit under that, about 60-40 in favor of free. A lot of quality stuff is free.

Thanks again,

Rich Tandler

Editor-In-Chief

WarpathInsiders.com

Hey Rich, although I'm sure the partnership is exciting and you will be privy to some additional benefits and coverage than prior... but serious question.

How do you guys intend on competing with Redskins.com? Seriously. I mean, if they truly devote the kind of coverage they're talking about giving fans (Redskins TV, videos, full blown chats and interviews, message board, etc)... how do you compete against that? Redskins unfiltered is already undercutting the national media - and they aren't even close to being done yet - and they'll be able to provide access to fans that NO ONE can compete with.

I'm wondering out loud.

Archived