Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm sick of Hollywood...

Spaceman Spiff

Sorry, no link, a friend emailed it to me from their site...

DIRECTOR GETS TRANSCENDENTAL

IF you think Tom Cruise is wild about Scientology and Madonna is crazy about Kabbalah, eccentric filmmaker David Lynch is about to give both of them a run for their money.

Tomorrow, the Oscar-nominated director of such graphically violent movies as "Blue Velvet" and "Mulholland Drive" is announcing the formation of the David Lynch Foundation for Consciousness-Based Education and World Peace.

Lynch has been a devotee of transcendental meditation and its founder, Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, for 32 years. The foundation he'll launch with his own money will fund schools to set up transcendental meditation (or "TM") classes and pay for research on the effects of the yoga technique on the "brain and body." Lynch hopes to raise $7 billion within a year.

"This is not a pretend thing," Lynch told PAGE SIX's Steve Garbarino. "Our government spends seven times that on killing, calling it defending, and making machinery and technology to kill human beings in the name of peace."

Despite "hating speaking in public," Lynch, 59, says he decided "to stop being quiet" about his passion for the 47-year-old Hindu chanting technique after observing the sad state of education in U.S. schools.

Today's students "are even more stressed out. Their schools are hellholes," he goes on. "They're getting pathetic educations. They're not going forward with full decks of cards."

Students who meditate, he says, "will start shining like a bright, shiny penny, and their anxieties will go away. By diving within, they will attain a field of pure consciousness, pure bliss, creativity, intelligence, dynamic peace. You enliven the field, and every day it gets better. Negativity recedes."

Lynch eventually hopes to organize "peace-creating super groups of 8,000 meditators" around the globe, all chanting simultaneously. Why 8,000? "It's the size of the square root of one percent of the world's population."

Quick to point out that "TM" is not a "religion" of "clones" but a "mental technique to dive within," he'll only say of Scientology and Kabbalah, "I don't know enough about either to comment. People believe in what they believe in, and that's a beautiful thing."

Happily, Lynch hasn't given up his day job: He's working on his next flick, "Inland Empire," starring Laura Dern.

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

Today's students "are even more stressed out. Their schools are hellholes," he goes on. "They're getting pathetic educations. They're not going forward with full decks of cards."

how about making a foundation that raises money for: teachers, supplies, transportation, extra-carricular activities etc.

JACKASS!

Yea trans-whatever meditation is gonna be a huge help

Originally posted by Predicto

How is this different than people giving their money to any religion? I'm not sure why anyone cares what David Lynch does with his money.

your right we shouldn't care... he can do what he wants with his money.

but its definently not the same as people giving their money to religions. Churches are community based organizations. You donate to the church, the church grows, and then the community grows.

Originally posted by T.E.G.

Because it's going to the wrong type of religion, Predicto.

;)

Way to infer.

I'm just sick of the new age mystic crap that hollywood people are spouting off about (even though that stuff Madonna is into isn't new).

He could give that money to a lot more charities and would do a lot more people good. Just cause you perceive me as being a conservative doesn't mean I feel that all money should be going to the church. I don't feel that way at all.

Originally posted by T.E.G.

Because it's going to the wrong type of religion, Predicto.

;)

Yeah, the TM movement is taking all the hits.

They must not have taken out that cross in the LA County Seal.

And King County must not have banned employees from saying "merry Christmas."

;)

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff

Despite "hating speaking in public," Lynch, 59, says he decided "to stop being quiet" about his passion for the 47-year-old Hindu chanting technique after observing the sad state of education in U.S. schools.

You realize of course that Hindu chanting technique comes from Hinduism right? What difference does it make if it went to a different religion?

David Lynch is a genius...and I don't begrudge him for thinking outside the box. Everytime somebody starts thinking freely, especially in Hollywood, we have a tendency to call them a kook and discard them completely. It's a destructive way of viewing others.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

David Lynch is a genius...and I don't begrudge him for thinking outside the box. Everytime somebody starts thinking freely, especially in Hollywood, we have a tendency to call them a kook and discard them completely. It's a destructive way of viewing others.

Ain't conformity grand?

Archived