Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sale Stores Corp for Plasma TV

Isifhan

Decided I may buy a plasma screen and have been doing some research. I think I may end up going with the NEC 42VP4 Plasma Television http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/nec-42mp3-wiley.html

I looked on line and found what seems to be a rediculously low price at Sale Stores Corp. They are listing it at $2050.30 http://store.salestores.com/nec4242pltvf.html . Lowest comparable price I've found has been between $2,500-3,000. Just curious to see if anyone has ever ordered something from this store.

Thanks in advance!

good point, I don't think Sears carries NEC. I'm looking at a Sony LCD though... I asked Sears and they said they would match. As long as it's not reconditioned.

Me personally, I don't buy from online-only retailers, but that's just me :)

off topic, kind of, but I'm hearing quite a bit about plasmas and their life expectancy (not good).

I've seen them side by side with LCDs... and I can't tell to big a difference, if any. I'm sure home theater geeks could but I can't. With LCD's durability, I think that would be the way to go.

However, there is a big difference between CRT, I'll admit that.

The life expectancy on the newer generation (8th) plasmas are vastly improved. For instance, if I were going to buy a 42-inch plasma I would buy the Panasonic TH-42PX50U. It would take watching this monitor 10 hours a day, 365 days a year, before reaching 1/2 life [display burnout] at 20 years. Who owns a tv, especially a videophile, for 20 years?

Originally posted by TheKurp

The life expectancy on the newer generation (8th) plasmas are vastly improved. For instance, if I were going to buy a 42-inch plasma I would buy the Panasonic TH-42PX50U. It would take watching this monitor 10 hours a day, 365 days a year, before reaching 1/2 life at 20 years. Who owns a tv, especially a videophile, for 20 years?

kurp, you sound like you are a bit of a videophile. I don't want to hijack this thread... but I have a few questions.

I'm looking at 55" or 60" TVs... and I've kind of narrowed it down to the Samsung DLP and the Sony LCD.

Everything I've read says that the DLP is better technology... but every single time I look at them in the stores the Sony's picture just looks a thousand times better. :confused:

Plus I'm thinking Sony is the better, more estabilished brand.

Where am I wrong, and what do you suggest?

Thanks (and sorry for hijacking the thread)

In a nutshell, with DLP you get the rainbow effect. That is, the spinning wheel that is used to modulate the blue, green, and red colors is visible to some people - and quite annoying. Texas Instruments has addressed this by making the wheel spin faster in the newer models but for some people the effect is still visible.

With LCD you get pixelation, or the screen door effect. Again, some people can see this and it annoys them when watching the monitor. The other problem with LCD is that the pixels can burnout, or simply be defective straight from the factory. They're called "dead" pixels.

Really it comes down to which one looks better to you? If you buy an LCD I'd buy it from a brick-and-mortar store and have them open the box and turn the tv on. Inspect the screen very closely for dead pixels.

Samsung has come a long way in monitor quality, and Sony has slipped some. However given the two to choose from, I'd go with the Sony LCD.

Originally posted by zoony

kurp, you sound like you are a bit of a videophile. I don't want to hijack this thread... but I have a few questions.

I'm looking at 55" or 60" TVs... and I've kind of narrowed it down to the Samsung DLP and the Sony LCD.

Everything I've read says that the DLP is better technology... but every single time I look at them in the stores the Sony's picture just looks a thousand times better. :confused:

Plus I'm thinking Sony is the better, more estabilished brand.

Where am I wrong, and what do you suggest?

Thanks (and sorry for hijacking the thread)

Zoony,

Thought I might add my 2 cents. I currently have two hd sets. A Toshiba DLP (52HM84) and a Sony Wega CRT (KD-34XS955). The CRT is, of course, a better picture but the large size and very heavy tube are a drawback...plus 36" is as large as they go.

I am a huge fan of both manufacturers and have had sets by both previously. I much prefer the Toshiba picture over the Samsung. The new Toshiba DLP's also have the new second generation Texas Instruments chip that vastly improves the detail in dark scenes. I really love it. Really really. Also, I thought that for the difference in $$ the Toshiba was a great value. I purchased mine through TV Authority and got a great deal because of being a member (free) of the avs forum. Another Es'er, KenF, introduced me to both and I have learned so much by using the avs forums as a resource.

Kurp,

The rainbow effect that you mention is certainly well chronicled. Fortunately, my set either doesn't suffer that problem or my eyes just don't see it. It was a concern to me when I was researching sets. The only thing that I had to adjust to was how bright and clear the picture was. It did take about a week or so for my eyes to get accustomed.

I work at Best Buy in the home theatre dept. while in school and deal with tv's day in and out ranging from crt's to dlp's, lcd's plasmas. Plasmas by far last the longest, they give you and expected life span of around 65,000 hours. The major drawback to any flat panel TV is the burnt out pixels. That is a huge pain and very expensive. The DLP is the best bang for your buck. The "rainbow" only effects certain people who have a sensitivity to certain light. DLP is cheaper than most flat panel TV's and gives an incredible picture. It refreshes faster than the LCD monitor so when you are watching skins games the ball wont look like a brick. Just make sure whatever TV you buy, you get the moster cables to go with it, they are a little overpriced but there is no other video/audio cables that compare.

EDIT: Like I said I am around these technologies every day, and if you need an opinion, buy the Samsung DLP Stage 4. Best television being produced right now IMHO.

No problem hijacking the thread this is pretty interesting. Basically I'm trying to keep the TV budget to about 2.5-3k. I'll check out AVS (thanks sknz) b/f I commit to anything but if people have experience within that price range on any TV's plasma, LCD or DLP what do you suggest?

Originally posted by seanskins

I work at Best Buy in the home theatre dept. while in school and deal with tv's day in and out ranging from crt's to dlp's, lcd's plasmas. Plasmas by far last the longest, they give you and expected life span of around 65,000 hours. The major drawback to any flat panel TV is the burnt out pixels. That is a huge pain and very expensive. The DLP is the best bang for your buck. The "rainbow" only effects certain people who have a sensitivity to certain light. DLP is cheaper than most flat panel TV's and gives an incredible picture. It refreshes faster than the LCD monitor so when you are watching skins games the ball wont look like a brick. Just make sure whatever TV you buy, you get the moster cables to go with it, they are a little overpriced but there is no other video/audio cables that compare.

EDIT: Like I said I am around these technologies every day, and if you need an opinion, buy the Samsung DLP Stage 4. Best television being produced right now IMHO.

sounds like a best buy salesman if i ever heard one :laugh:

Zooney, have you played with the picture settings on both TVs? You said one clearly had a better picture. You're more then likely seeing the screen at either the factory setting, or what someone's kid set it at. ;)

I spent about four months researching online, in stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears), and with friends about Large Screen HDTVs. Plasmas look great, and last between 5-7 years, but once they start to go, they go. And, you have to buy a new tv; you can't fix them once they're gone.

LCDs and DLPs, even though it is expenxive if the pixels die to get them fixed, you CAN fix them and/or replace bulbs - meaning they are televisions that can be used for years and years.

Also, I ended up buying online from a site called Authorized Electronics (authorizedelectronics.com). Even after shipping and handling, they were $680 cheaper than Circuit City and $830 cheaper than Best Buy.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, I bought a Sony 60' LCD (Sony KDF-60WF655). It has a great picture (In HD it is unbelievable) and terrific sound.

To Zooney and Kurp,

I bought a 50" Samsung DLP and it is phenominal!!! I will put the picture up against ANY HD set on the market, the HD is incredible. The chip in the model I have HLP5085W is a 2nd gen X2 DLP chip with an improved color wheel.

HLP5085W.jpg

Initially when DLPs came out there was a rainbow effect problem. The color wheel was spun at 600rpm, and this was still slow enough where "some" people could see a rainbow effect. Now, the wheel spins at 6000 rpm and the rainbow effect is eliminated.

As for the picture looking better in the store for Sony, sometimes that's the stores employees. Maybe there is an incentive for unloading a bunch of Sony products, or maybe a salesman had a bad experience with Samsung and wants their products not to sell. I have one and it is great!!! There are a NUMBER of tweaking options available, and their Dnle engine is pretty cool.

I will say one problem I have had with it is sinchronizing the sound, I needed to delay the front speakers to get the sound just right for dolby digital shows. There is a slight lag between the picture and the receiver, but you can workaround it. I don't know if there is the same problems with other TVs, or if it is my cable box or receiver, but i tis there.

Well, I'd put a vote in for the Sammy, but I would also check out www.avsforums.com as another poster put it, you should not make ANY type of large video purchase without going to that site.

Good Luck

:cheers:

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

Zooney, have you played with the picture settings on both TVs? You said one clearly had a better picture. You're more then likely seeing the screen at either the factory setting, or what someone's kid set it at. ;)

true... the salesmen at Sears told me that same thing. But a guy at Circuit City told me it was because the Sony was better. :doh:

I have heard from other people, too, though, that Sony's have better 'out of the box' picture quality, and that other tv's need a bit more tweeking.

Chom...

after reading yours and the other guy's post, I'm seriously considering the Samsung. Especially because I can get a 60" Samsung for the same price as the 55" Sony.

Gotta finish the basement, first though. Hopefully I'll have it all hooked up by football season... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

it's just time and money, though, right? :)

Yeah, I was looking at the Panasonic X390 Plasma super vision with the extended color loop and rainbow spectrum color code. The guy at Tweeter said that the Sony 8H-XZ "Amaze!" outfit might be my best bet, though. 45 inches of pure viewing pleasure paired with a set of speakers packed full of g-force technology. I'll tell you what, though, the green fade feature just does not measure up. I mean, if I'm going to spend that kind of cash on a TV, I need to differentiate between the different belts of electronic waves flying through the air space. I'm actually thinking about going with the "Jolt!" package from Panasonic...it comes with 8000 volts of pure telvisic energy and has a hell of a megawatt engine.

Originally posted by zoony

Chom...

after reading yours and the other guy's post, I'm seriously considering the Samsung. Especially because I can get a 60" Samsung for the same price as the 55" Sony.

Gotta finish the basement, first though. Hopefully I'll have it all hooked up by football season... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

it's just time and money, though, right? :)

:laugh:

Do you have a layout of your room? Have you planed out your wiring? Reciever picked out? etc etc

I enjoy setting up home theater systems, and planning what to do, you can really go crazy if you want. If you need any help on setting it up, let me know, I can help out a lot with room design. Good luck!!!

BTW, football in HD . . . . man, I'm getting wood just thinking about it :laugh:

:cheers:

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

Yeah, I was looking at the Panasonic X390 Plasma super vision with the extended color loop and rainbow spectrum color code. The guy at Tweeter said that the Sony 8H-XZ "Amaze!" outfit might be my best bet, though. 45 inches of pure viewing pleasure paired with a set of speakers packed full of g-force technology. I'll tell you what, though, the green fade feature just does not measure up. I mean, if I'm going to spend that kind of cash on a TV, I need to differentiate between the different belts of electronic waves flying through the air space. I'm actually thinking about going with the "Jolt!" package from Panasonic...it comes with 8000 volts of pure telvisic energy and has a hell of a megawatt engine.

Where does the flux capacitor go :confused:

Archived