Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sale Stores Corp for Plasma TV

Isifhan

Originally posted by zoony

chom... do you want to open that can of worms? I've got a million questions... :)

No problem man ;)

If you give me your room dimensions and layout, I can draw it on a CAD program for you when I get back to the office (sometime after the 4th as I'm in ala-freakin-bama for testing right now). I can do a simple 2-D sketch for you, and e-mail the .dxf file along with a .pdf file for you to bring to the home theater store.

I've been an audio/videophile for a while, and I do enjoy the stuff. I can even give you suggestions for what to buy if you give me a budget. You can e-mail me at mharris@cfa.harvard.edu if you want to converse through e-mail instead of on ES.

Heres my first question.. :D

I have a 'friend' who happens to work for Bose. I can get a pretty good deal on a Bose system... $1200 for the Lifestyle 38.

It's normally a $3000 system, so a great deal.

My question is, why is it everywhere I go people rip apart Bose? Someone told me its because there is no markup for retailers on Bose b/c Bose sells direct to the consumer.

I've heard Bose systems and to say I was floored is an understatement. Yes, I've heard all the jokes, i.e. no highs/no lows, must be a bose :rolleyes: But the sound is incredible!

The compactness and simpleness of the Bose appeals to me as well.

HOWEVER, one thing I'm worried about is the progression in technology might render the Bose unit obsolete shortly, i.e. HDMI inputs, etc.

What are your thoughts? Should I get the Bose? Keep in mind it's over $50% off. :)

As far as running the wire, I'll do all that while I'm doing the electrical. I'm going to do the framing/electrical/flooring/drywall/drop ceiling myself, so I should be able to plan it out pretty well. Only problem with that is that I know BOSE uses a special speaker wire. :doh: Oh well I can always use indoor conduit and go up the wall.

I'm going to do carpet around the TV for sound reasons and hardwood everywhere else. I'm getting the dense ceiling tile which supposedly is ideal for theater rooms... anything else?

Thanks man :)

Originally posted by zoony

Heres my first question.. :D

I have a 'friend' who happens to work for Bose. I can get a pretty good deal on a Bose system... $1200 for the Lifestyle 38.

It's normally a $3000 system, so a great deal.

My question is, why is it everywhere I go people rip apart Bose? Someone told me its because there is no markup for retailers on Bose b/c Bose sells direct to the consumer.

I've heard Bose systems and to say I was floored is an understatement. Yes, I've heard all the jokes, i.e. no highs/no lows, must be a bose :rolleyes:

The compactness and simpleness of the Bose appeals to me.

HOWEVER, one thing I'm worried about is the progression in technology might render the Bose unit obsolete shortly, i.e. HDMI inputs, etc.

What are your thoughts? Should I get the Bose? Keep in mind it's over $50% off. :)

Well, I really liked Bose at one point in my life, when I knew nothing about the technology, or the sound of Bose. They are a marketing company who sells overpriced stereo speakers to the uninformed public.

Yes, they do sound good, but the reason they sound so good is because they are placed at the optimal locations, and you are usually standing in the sweet spot. Trust me, it will not sound the same when you get them to your house, and you will be dissapointed in the long run. For that type of money, I would suggest Cambridge Sound Works speakers. They havea great sound, and you can't touch the price. I think their web site is www.hifi.com . It's a great speaker for cheap dollars.

As far as running the wire, I'll do all that while I'm wiring. I'm going to do the framing/electrical/flooring/drywall/drop ceiling myself, so I should be able to plan it out pretty well. Only problem with that is that I know BOSE uses a special speaker wire. :doh: Oh well I can always use indoor conduit and go up the wall.

I'm going to do carpet around the TV for sound reasons and hardwood everywhere else. I'm getting the dense ceiling tile which supposedly is ideal for theater rooms... anything else?

Thanks man :)

Make sure you get a good quality sheet rock to hang, and not the 1/4" stuff, the denser, the better.

Have you picked out a sub yet? You can actually build your own sub for about $300 and it will play down to about 10Hz, but it is a moderately difficult DIY project. I would suggest looking into doing a DIY sub if you want, and you can even build it right into the room.

It souonds like you are off to a good start, the more up-front planning you do, the easier the entire process will go, and the better room you will have in the end.

Has anyone got an HD-up convert DVD player? I get a free one with my HDTV and the TV and DVD player both have HDMI so the picture is going to look truely awesome. I also heard on a lot of dvd players, you have to hook up the old-style connections first and them go into the dvd menu and change it to HDMI/1080, cause if you try to go straight to HDMI, you will get a blue screen.

Archived