Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Probably old news but Lucas ruined Return of the Jedi

Westbrook36

Hayden Christensen ruined the entire star wars movies for me. I can no longer look at Vader the same way knowing that behind the mask is a punk who looks like he was chosen for the role by teenage girls. Instead of a bad guy villain, you have a spoiled little girly man.

Originally posted by mhd24

If anyone is questioning Hayden's acting abilities, rent Shattered Glass. It's a great movie about the real life Stephen Glass who wrote ficticous articles in the New Republic.

Great movie, he does a hell of a job in it.

He is a decent actor. I am sure he eats up the criticism.

IMO, he was lame in the last one but pretty good in ROTS.

I liked him in it.

But yeah, don't eff with the old ones.

Doesnt really bother me, I dont mind an effort to make the first three movies blend better with the original 3 through a few, what I consider to be small changes. I dont really understand what the big deal is with who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, whatever, as Rick James says, Enjoy it B*tches, its a celebration

I think I do understand why Lucas put Hayden in Jedi. For one, I guess he was pointing to when a true Jedi dies. Yoda and Obi Wan did the ghost thing. Anakin "died" when he turned to the dark side.

Originally posted by mhd24

If anyone is questioning Hayden's acting abilities, rent Shattered Glass. It's a great movie about the real life Stephen Glass who wrote ficticous articles in the New Republic.

I've been meaning to check that out. I think as much blame lies on Lucas's writing and directing as on the actor.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

I think it's clear that Lucas can't direct worth a crap. Even good actors like Ewan McGregor and Samuel L Jackson (and, to a degree, Natalie Portman) were ruined by his direction.

Poor old Sebastian Shaw. It was his "shining" moment.

His directing is bad, really bad. But the writing more then anything has been terrible in the latest movies. Some of the lines are so horrible that S Jackson, a proven actor, sounds like a infomercial trying to spit his lines out. In fact the stories themselves have been poorly done.

The original three weren't the best written flicks in history but the emotion was there and the character development was not so bad and their actions seemed to logically follow what we would think they'd do. These latest three seem to poorly thought out and the characters behave however the script needs them too, make sense or not.

Hey, c'mon, guys. Are you really surprised that a guy who'd completely remove an actor's voice from a movie, from the character who he'd (later) say was the major character of the series (but who isn't one of the stars in the credits), without telling the actor, before or after he does it, and who can't even get the titles of his movies right the first time, would do something underhanded to a cameo part?

Originally posted by Larry

Hey, c'mon, guys. Are you really surprised that a guy who'd completely remove an actor's voice from a movie, from the character who he'd (later) say was the major character of the series (but who isn't one of the stars in the credits), without telling the actor, before or after he does it, would do something underhanded to a cameo part?

what's so underhanded about it?

Originally posted by dviands

this change doesn't bother me at all. i think it helps to tie the new movies in with the old ones. and alec guinness is still used because, imo, lucas was saying that anakin died when he turned to evil, as someone posted earlier.

Christensen doesn't replace Alec Guinness, he replaces the crusty old white guy who plays Vader in Return of the Jedi.

I hate the change, but Christensen was a hell of a lot better in RotS than in AotC.

In fact, everyone was, even Sam L Jackson and Portman(who is typically wooden in this series.)

But yeah, the kindly visage of Anakin, that I knew(and that's on my collectible Vader/Anakin figure) is gone.

I REALLY hope that one day, they release the original-originals on DVD(hell, at this stage, even the special edition from 1997 on DVD would be OK)

This is what I don't get...I understood tweaking the special effects for 1997 re-release, the Battle of Yavin IS better because of this process...but why all the changes?

Luke goes from nobly stepping off into the void at Bespin to screaming when he steps off.....BACK To being noble on the new DVDs...Apparently, on the DVD, a lot of the sound is off and the score has been turned down by that a-hole Burtt, who was once great but has turned to the Dark Side just like Anakin.

That new RotJ song...OH MY GOD..TERRIBLE. What's worse is that "Yuzzum" guy doesn't look like a real life form. Or we get stupid comedy droid antics coming into Mos Eisley in ANH:SE and the wretched Greedo shooting first change.

Why not just IMPROVE THE DAMN EFFECTS?! That's what one of his biggest probems was...his 'vision' was FINE with Solo shooting first and it made perfect sense and became a classic scene in cinema....now? it's a punchline.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

I REALLY hope that one day, they release the original-originals on DVD(hell, at this stage, even the special edition from 1997 on DVD would be OK)

I have seen rumors that the "Even More Special Edition" will be in 3-D.

(Heck, maybe the one after that will be in odorama.)

Archived