Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ray Lewis wants a 50 million dollar bonus....Thoughts???

TheSource

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.preston28may28,1,1366241.column?coll=bal-sports-football

Passing the bucks isn't easy with Reed, R. Lewis

--------------------

Mike Preston

May 28, 2005

ON ONE SIDE, the Ravens have their top player of the past decade, and on the other their top player of the future. They both want more money, but it appears the Ravens only have definitive plans for one.

Is Ravens safety Ed Reed on the outside looking in, and linebacker Ray Lewis on the inside looking out?

The Ravens are intent on re-signing possible free agents after the 2005 season like tight end Todd Heap and running back Jamal Lewis, and they have claimEd Reed is a priority, but are in no apparent rush to restructure the four years left on Ray Lewis' contract.

It's a sensitive situation, one the Ravens have to handle carefully, or it could blow up on them much like it did on the Cleveland Browns when they released Bernie Kosar.

According to general manager Ozzie Newsome, Lewis has four years left on his current contract. Team and league officials have indicated he wants a new deal with a $50 million signing bonus.

Lewis doesn't deserve that kind of money.

But the team has to treat Lewis much like the Orioles treated Cal Ripken. Here's a player that gave the Ravens an identity around the league shortly after the franchise moved from Cleveland to Baltimore in 1996.

He was the most dominant force behind the team's Super Bowl run in the 2000 season. He also became the team's top ambassador in the community, a spokesman for the club in trying to sign free agents. As expected, Lewis' performance has declined some with age, but it will be interesting to see how he performs in the new 46 defense, where the Ravens will try to keep him untouched by offensive linemen so he can run sideline to sideline.

Lewis seems like he is prepared to yield some of the power he has held through the years, a source of contention in the locker room last season. He also scoffed at rumors that he would be a no-show at the opening of training camp or that he was trying to collude with Heap and Reed for all three to hold out to increase their leverage.

"Last offseason I trained with Ed Reed, but this year I'm on my own," said Ray Lewis. "Those rumors are ridiculous. Ed Reed has his own agent to advise him, not me.

"We're in the 46 defense now, and finally, finally again, I get to play football," said Lewis. "My job is not to take on offensive linemen, but to make running backs not want to play against me. Last year, there was a lot of personal stuff going on, petty stuff, in the locker room. This year, I'm just going to play football. I don't want to be a GM, I don't want to be a coach. I'm going to be a player again, and end up being the Most Valuable Player, not just on defense, but for the entire league."

If that happens, the Ravens won't have a problem with a new deal. "Yeah, but I might ask for A-Rod numbers then," said Lewis, laughing.

But right now, the teams is going to stay status quo as far as offering a contract extension.

"When we reworked Ray's deal in 2002, that deal was done to allow him to retire as a Raven," said Newsome.

There's the hint. The Ravens want Lewis to prove he has been reborn, but regardless, they'll have to compensate him in some way for what he has done for the franchise. It's a tough situation.

Reed's isn't as complicated. Privately, he has threatened to stay out of training camp if he doesn't get a new deal. He has two years left on his current one, and will make only $550,000 in base salary this season.

You can understand why he wants a new contract. He's a playmaker and was the NFL's Defensive Player of the Year last season. More important, he's only 26 and will eventually replace Lewis as the defensive leader.

The Ravens should just roll up the mint trucks and give Reed the money. Before that, though, they ought to tell him to tone it down, get his ego in check to prevent the same chemistry problems that happened a year ago.

Despite reports to the contrary, the Ravens aren't close to a deal with Reed.

"We have not initiated any discussions with Ed Reed," said Newsome. "But he has been told and there will be discussions."

Translation: Shut up, Ed. It's not your turn. We'll get to you after Heap and Jamal Lewis.

There should be some stipulations for Heap and Jamal Lewis, both of whom have a year left on their contracts. Heap has been a major contributor since his rookie season in 2001.

But Heap also missed 10 games in 2004 with an ankle injury. He recently had shoulder surgery that will force him to miss most of camp, another warning sign that his body might be breaking down from all of those great leaping catches.

The Ravens should structure a deal to make him one of the highest paid at his position in the game, but not reach an agreement until the season begins and Heap proves he can be healthy and productive again.

Is it fair? No. But the NFL has never been about fairness, just money.

With Jamal Lewis, the Ravens should slap the franchise tag on him even though Lewis claims the team promised him a new deal after he rushed for a league-high 2,066 yards in 2003.

But Lewis also has a troubled past. He has failed the league's substance and alcohol abuse test twice, and is scheduled to leave prison on Thursday.

The team can't afford to offer him a big signing bonus, in case he gets in trouble again. With the designation, Lewis will get paid the average salary of the top five highest-paid running backs in the league. If he stays healthy and trouble free for a year or two, then the Ravens should offer him an extension.

It's a lot of drama for the Ravens. Do they re-sign a troubled and an unhealthy player now or wait down the road? Do they want Ed and Ray for the future or just Ray?

They're all situations to be handled delicately, and in the case of Ray Lewis, with a lot of class.

Copyright © 2005, The Baltimore Sun

Originally posted by SirArrington

"We're in the 46 defense now, and finally, finally again, I get to play football," said Lewis. "My job is not to take on offensive linemen, but to make running backs not want to play against me. Last year, there was a lot of personal stuff going on, petty stuff, in the locker room. This year, I'm just going to play football. I don't want to be a GM, I don't want to be a coach. I'm going to be a player again, and end up being the Most Valuable Player, not just on defense, but for the entire league.

He wouldn't be talking about Mike Nolan's defense now would he? :rolleyes:

50 million is ludacris. He is a great defensive player, but has already passed the prime in his career if you ask me; or he is going to pass that point within the next 2 seasons. He's worth a new deal, but NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE in the NFL is worth 50 million dollars in gaurneteed money.

$50 million? No, but you gotta pay Ray Lewis not just because of his on-the-field production, but also because he makes everyone around him better. Ray Lewis in decline is still one of the top 3 LB's in the league, and his intensity is still there. Everyone on the team is better because Lewis doesnt allow them to slack. Not in the weight room, not is practice, not on Sundays.

I love his quote "My job is not to take on offensive linemen, but to make running backs not want to play against me."

Originally posted by Grumpy Vet

Ray Lewis, while still a very good player, has been to the top of his career mountain and is picking up speed as he descends.

$50M bonus?

$50M bonus!!!!:yikes:

That's Mark Brunnell type of money.:(

Originally posted by Warhead36

I'd rather have Ed Reed. He is the best Safety in the game(for now ;))while Ray Lewis is declining.

Yep.

Roy Williams is right on his tail.:D;)

But anyway, if he or anyone else ever received a $50 million signing bonus, the NFL would eventually crumble.

The only way that could ever plausibly happen, is if there was no salary cap.

Even Jones and Snyder wouldnt dole out that kind of dough.

Archived