Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Salary cap and roster implications of the 2018 Redskins draft

carex

10 hours ago, Rocky52Mc said:

The reason I was clamoring for that LG position is that in the NFL, if you have a quality lineman at every position, it doesn't matter who's back there. A guy like Rob Kelley is an easy 4.0+ YPC back. I'm not mad at all about the Guice pick, but we should have pursued a real LG that we've been lacking competitive play at since before Dockery and Pete Kendall. Considering that player is on the field for every offensive snap, it's a no-brain'er.

we'll get one....either from within or from a post June 1st cut. Or maybe via a trade....????

I see.  So the 2018 cap savings is $4,687,500 and the buy-out cost is $3.5M.  Almost a wash but it still goes down as a significant cap savings to hopefully sign a LG.  BTW, we have Orlando Franklin on the roster.  I never hear his name mentioned as someone who could push for the starting LG position.

6 hours ago, FrFan said:

Looking at the contracts that will count against the cap, the net cap charges will come to $2.596 million. That would leave them with a shade under $15 million, enough to land another free agent or two and perhaps give some of their own players' contract extensions. They will want to go into the season with around $5 million to cover paying the practice squad and paying players on injured reserve. 

---------------------

Please sign Scherff to a long term deal now. P Smith also, but less urgent.

Also, this projected 15M cap doesnt include the savings we get for releasing McClain. 

3 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Please sign Scherff to a long term deal now. P Smith also, but less urgent.

Also, this projected 15M cap doesnt include the savings we get for releasing McClain. 

I totally agree, eventhough he's a SMC pick :ph34r::silly:

I had this list over in the UDFA thread but think it's more applicable here.  It includes the McClain and Francis cuts.  The list includes all signed and unsigned players: 72 FAs  + 8 unsigned drafted players + 15 unsigned UDFA

Offense (49)

12 Wide Receivers

8 Running Backs

1 Fullback

6 Tight Ends

3 Quarterbacks

5 Tackles

5 Guards

2 Centers

7 Offensive Lineman

Defense (42)

8 Cornerbacks

2 Defensive Backs

6 Safeties

14 Linebackers

14 12 Defensive Linemen

Specialty (4)

1 Kicker

1 Long Snapper

2 Punters

As each of the 8 draftees gets signed, 5 FAs will likely be released to get to the 90 player limit.  Assuming they go with 4 Specialties in camp, that leaves 86 players.  That's 43 a side  but we have some significant players on offense still rehabbing so I can see 45 on offense and 41 on defense.  That still means (49-45) four offensive players will likely get cut pretty soon. I can see a WR, a RB, and a couple OL released.

If designated post-June 1st cut, he saves $187,500 (about nothing). If designated pre-June first cut it actually drops our cap number 2.3 million this year. So it's not cap savings (although I remember someone negotiated their salary to not guaranteed, but not sure if McClain...)

16 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

If designated post-June 1st cut, he saves $187,500 (about nothing). If designated pre-June first cut it actually drops our cap number 2.3 million this year. So it's not cap savings (although I remember someone negotiated their salary to not guaranteed, but not sure if McClain...)

it was McClain and he does provide some cap relief

1 hour ago, carex said:

it was McClain and he does provide some cap relief

It's not a cap savings this year, it's for next year.

9 hours ago, carex said:

saved money now can be rolled over to next year.  And he's not that great really

You saying he's not that great differs from how the FO feels. As of right now the Redskins have a potential 11 picks in the 2019 draft, which appears to be their focus of player acquisition. Believe me, until they figure out the O-line and somehow get beyond the impossibility of predicting the health of those players; Clemmings is more valuable on this team versus rollover cap this off-season. 

On 4/30/2018 at 8:54 AM, TK said:

Don't get too excited as there's also been talk of bringing back Ladoodoo. 

On 4/30/2018 at 9:16 AM, carex said:

we could have already signed him for vet minimum if that was really going to happen

On 4/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, TK said:

Or you can go through the Draft & see if you can get a guy or even wait til June 1st cuts before bringing him back. Or he could be pulling the vet move of not signing til camp so he has some time off & can skip OTAs. 

You can go run laps the rest of the weekend. :)

1 hour ago, TK said:

You can go run laps the rest of the weekend. :)

The only plus point of hearing this news, is that my birthday doesn't start for another 38 mins so you've narrowly avoided ruining my birthday. I wonder (and really hope) that Lauvao is a safety net, and they're hoping to get that Iowa Guard we got as UDFA ready to take the spot during the season. Guice will make him look better but doesn't it ring any alarm bells in Redskins Park that Ladoodoo couldn't find anyone willing to sign him? Eurgh. Hate this move. I know someone has to start there and we currently have no-one but surely there must be a guard worth a damn that we could trade for one of our 783 picks next year. Really hope this isn't with a view to plugging Luavao back in as a de facto starter,

3 minutes ago, UKskins said:

The only plus point of hearing this news, is that my birthday doesn't start for another 38 mins so you've narrowly avoided ruining my birthday. 

Lucky you. It ruined mine today. :ols:

7 minutes ago, TK said:

Lucky you. It ruined mine today. :ols:

Happy birthday! Here's a gift of the 70th ranked guard in the league. That means he wasn't just the worst starter in the league, he is legitimately worse than several team's back up guards.

Redskins always gonna Redskin I guess. :rofl89:

Archived