Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ACQUIRE QB KEVIN HOGAN

TK

16 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I remember something similar happening a while back, when we made a similar trade for John Beck, thinking he could be molded into an NFL QB.

I sure hope this isn't Gruden's version of John Beck,

Nah. This is for camp. The guy plays bigger than he is (at 6'3) and is pretty good at finding holes in the pass rush to squirt threw. Sounds like a pretty good guy for the defense to practice against, seeing that this defense will see two QBs in this very division that does that frequently. This defense got killed last year with that crap. Of course you don't use Alex to give the defense looks.  

On 4/10/2018 at 9:52 AM, Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin said:

Unfortunately, there's that matriculation to Stanford that busts up that joke.

Not really. There's plenty of dumb athletes at good schools. Plenty. I do find it interesting that Doug Williams came out and said we tried to add Hogan when he was waived, well before Alex Smith's arrival. If he makes the 53, I just hope he is worth the roster spot.

1 hour ago, Kurd Cudins said:

Not really. There's plenty of dumb athletes at good schools. Plenty. I do find it interesting that Doug Williams came out and said we tried to add Hogan when he was waived, well before Alex Smith's arrival. If he makes the 53, I just hope he is worth the roster spot.

He got a 38. But beyond that, Stanford is one of the few big time schools where you'd expect (esp at QB position) to be relatively bright. Not a genius, not high GPA, not 'curious' and 'inquisitive' but a baseline intelligence.

On 4/9/2018 at 11:00 PM, joeken24 said:

So what I didn't know is that the Redskins had a QB named Stephen Morris. They waived him today after signing Hogan. So there is that. 

Who the **** is that?  Haha

To me, this looks like the type of trade that competent teams make.  Which is why I am so confused that we did it.

5 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Who the **** is that?  Haha

To me, this looks like the type of trade that competent teams make.  Which is why I am so confused that we did it.

Nice backhanded compliment.

I'm not sure about the intricacies of the NFL but I believe the move was both a financial one and (where luck would have it), a football one.

Football decision - Hogan may provide a good look for the defense that struggled with maintaining containment. QBs were able to extend plays or to escape the pocket a lot last year. The defense needs someone to practice against. Hogan can provide that.

Financial decision - Hogan will cost $55k. I want to say, this Morris guy got signed to a futures contract. I think the pay for Morris (depending on the number of years in the league) starts at $465k (I think). Not a bad savings. You get a starting NFL QB in Hogan (all be it for the Browns) for $55k and you cut some guy named Morris. You save $400k and provide yourself the funds to sign another futures guy with that savings. That's competence if you ask me.

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So, I got confused by all these trades where we swapped picks,

We traded up to send Cravens away. And traded down to get Hogan.

Are we right back where we started ?

Does this belong in the "Laugh at the Browns while you can" thread ?

They're not right back where they started, but it would take some time to explain, but here is a bit and its nowhere near that thread you speak of.

Bottom line, you got rid of a guy (Cravens) that didn't want to be here and you got a player (Hogan) that started a few games last year for a whopping $55k. They're actually independent of one another, so I'm not saying that this is some sort of trade off (its not IMO). 

So....

For the Craven's trade:

The Redskins basically get 2 players (an additional pick in the 5th and a conditional pick in 2020).

For the Hogan trade:

The Redskins simply swapped 6th round picks with the Browns and got Hogan as a result of the value of the trade.  

So from these two trades, the Redskins:

1. Get a starting caliber QB (Hogan) for $55k

2. Get a higher pick in the 5th

3. Get a extra pick in the 5th

4. Get a extra pick in 2020

5. Boot Cravens

6. Save $400k 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 1:39 PM, pcbothwel said:

Wrong. The Browns have Tyrod Taylor and whoever they pick at 1 (Darnold). So they really only have space for 1 more QB. They dont want to give up on Kizer as they just invested a high pick in him last year and hes still very young.

Numbers Crunch and we reap the benefits

Forgot they traded Kizer. Still. 16M plus #1 pick is a good bit invested.

So they choose Taylor over Hogan...  lol.

Archived