Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com Jimmy Garoppolo, 49ers agree on record 5-year $137.5 million deal

TheItalianStallion

www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915489/article/jimmy-garoppolo-49ers-agree-on-record-5year-deal

A franchise quarterback landed in the lap of the San Francisco 49ers. General manager John Lynch was not going to let him get away.

The 49ers agreed to terms on a five-year contract with Jimmy Garoppolo worth $137.5 million, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported, per a source informed of the decision. The deal is the largest in NFL history on an average-per-year basis.

click link for rest

Wonder how this would've affected negotiations to retain Kirk.........

Almost makes you think that Kirk was offering the Redskins a discount after starting an entire 16 game season, getting to the playoffs, while setting team records.

And that 19M a year offer was after the team waited for months for the Osweiler fiasco to play out.

Way to go Bruce. :headbang:

18 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

None of these guys have won a play off game and the highest paid player in the league has only played 7 games. Add Kirk to this list and it looks even more ridiculous. 

Apples and oranges.  Cousins, Carr, and Stafford have put multiple good QB seasons on film.  Jimmy Garoppolo has thrown a grand total of 12 touchdown passes in his NFL career. 

52 minutes ago, Destino said:

Jimmy Garoppolo has thrown a grand total of 12 touchdown passes in his NFL career. 

And yet he's now the highest paid player in the league. Absolutely ridiculous. 

Something is seriously broken with this league when a player who has appeared in 6 total games becomes the NFLs highest paid athlete. 

9 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

And yet he's now the highest paid player in the league. Absolutely ridiculous. 

Something is seriously broken with this league when a player who has appeared in 6 total games becomes the NFLs highest paid athlete. 

This situation reminds me of when rookies were getting enormous deals not too long ago.  

36 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yet the 49ers made their QB bet believing in winning while the Redskins bet on losing.

The 49ers' GM saw a QB he believes he can win with and made sure they had him locked up for the long-term, even if it engendered criticism.

The Redskins' GM was afraid to hand his QB a contract that seemed too large or to trade said QB and so played the situation so he could let him go for nothing while surrendering assets for an older replacement. 

I know which approach I would rather see from my team. 

The money shouldnt be a big issue for anyone. That's the market for a franchise QB and I defintely believe Jimmy G is one. As a Niner fan, Im super estatic about this deal. I said he will probably get slightly more than Carr per year, and they'll front load the deal, which they did. With a little over 90 million coming off off the books in the first 3 years, it will allow us to still be players in free agnecy and also allow us to resign youngs guys still on their rookie deals in a year or two. Kudos to Lynch for not getting caught up in the sample size and identifying his guy and locking him up. Now Lynch, Shanny, and Garoppolo are ALL on 5 year deals so they're joined at the hip, so to speak.

I like the kid's approach, and hope that things work out for him in SF.......except whenever they play us. I think the attitude he's displaying is what current and potential teammates want to hear. They don't want to hear they're QB talking about a percentage of the team's cap. They want to hear him talking about and showing how much he wants to be with the team. He's a good QB, not a flash in the pan. That Shanahan offense is gonna light things up with this kid.....and they'll have resources to build around him, and to stack that D. Gonna be fun to see a real and competitive Rams-49ers rivalry.

On 2/10/2018 at 3:21 AM, Destino said:

Apples and oranges.  Cousins, Carr, and Stafford have put multiple good QB seasons on film.  Jimmy Garoppolo has thrown a grand total of 12 touchdown passes in his NFL career. 

My point was that the the four highest paid Qbs in the league have done nothing, nada, zero, zilch. 

Putting up good numbers is nice and all for fantasy but it means dick in the playoffs

In a world where NFL contracts are not guaranteed, and literally one injury is all it takes for players to never see the full amount of their money, I have absolutely no problem with NFL players trying to get theirs.  I think people should be more upset with MLB & NBA contracts.  Those deals are outrageous, and more crippling when you think about it.  The NFL players deserve all the money they get if they're good enough, and healthy enough in a sport as dangerous as it gets.

6 minutes ago, Boss_Hogg said:

My point was that the the four highest paid Qbs in the league have done nothing, nada, zero, zilch. 

Putting up good numbers is nice and all for fantasy but it means dick in the playoffs

QBs, like any position, get paid based on individual performance not wins and losses.  Well, except for Garoppolo because he's managed to become the leagues highest paid player with less than a full seasons worth of work.  His agent deserves a bonus.

Winning playoff games, and winning in general, is a team stat.  QBs don't win or lose on their own no matter how much people want to believe it.  We just recently watched Nick Foles beat Matt Ryan and then Tom Brady.  Blake Bortles beat Ben Rothlisberger.  Case Keenum took down Drew Brees.  QBs play a major role, obviously, but unless the overall team is good playoff wins are hard to come by.  

Aaron Rogers might be the exception among active QBs.  It never seems like Green Bay's team is any good but somehow they win anyway when he's playing.  His career has been wasted carrying mediocre rosters.  

5 hours ago, samy316 said:

In a world where NFL contracts are not guaranteed, and literally one injury is all it takes for players to never see the full amount of their money, I have absolutely no problem with NFL players trying to get theirs.  I think people should be more upset with MLB & NBA contracts.  Those deals are outrageous, and more crippling when you think about it.  The NFL players deserve all the money they get if they're good enough, and healthy enough in a sport as dangerous as it gets.

Arguably QBs (with some notable exceptions) are the ones least affected by crippling post-career cumulative...what's the term again? (I feel like I played LB with my memory these days)

On 2/12/2018 at 11:14 AM, Destino said:

Aaron Rodgers might be the exception among active QBs.  It never seems like Green Bay's team is any good but somehow they win anyway when he's playing.  His career has been wasted carrying mediocre rosters a hospital wing. 

Fixed that for you.

On 2/19/2018 at 11:46 PM, PokerPacker said:

Fixed that for you.

Ya, that's strike two with that collarbone.  Strike three and he might be in Romo territory, which would be a damn shame because he is an awesome QB. 

His health and Brady's age may rob us of another matchup (looks like ya'l play in NE this year, I'll be watching that one if they both starting).  Ya'll do kinda remind me of the Colts with Manning getting one ring out of all that production. 

You feel you'd have more rings if Rodgers wasn't getting hurt like that?

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya, that's strike two with that collarbone.  Strike three and he might be in Romo territory, which would be a damn shame because he is an awesome QB. 

His health and Brady's age may rob us of another matchup (looks like ya'l play in NE this year, I'll be watching that one if they both starting).  Ya'll do kinda remind me of the Colts with Manning getting one ring out of all that production. 

You feel you'd have more rings if Rodgers wasn't getting hurt like that?

I was actually referring more to the health of everyone else.  Even for 2010's Super Bowl, half of the team was on IR.

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

I was actually referring more to the health of everyone else.  Even for 2010's Super Bowl, half of the team was on IR.

Ya, I was expecting some kind of dynasty considering how many players were supposed to be coming back for injury the following season.  

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya, I was expecting some kind of dynasty considering how many players were supposed to be coming back for injury the following season.  

Sadly the health just never improved, except one season (the 15-1 season, I believe).

Even setting aside the sheer number of players lost each season, just looking at only the careers ended since then is rough.  Nick Collins, who was possibly the best safety in the league at that time, suffered a career-ending neck injury the next season.  Jermichael Finley suffered a career-ending neck injury a couple seasons later.  Johnathan Franklin suffered a career-ending neck-injury as a rookie after only half a game of action; a half-game he put up over 100 rushing yards.  Sam Shields suffered a career-halting concussion at the start of the 2016 season.  There was also the gruesome broken leg to Derrick Sherrod that may as well have been a career-ender; took two years for him to recover enough to try to play football, but he never truly recovered and washed out of the league after coming back.

Collins, Finley, and Shields were all young guys among the best in the league at their respective positions that suddenly disappeared from the roster leaving big holes to be filled.  And Franklin sure would have been nice to have around the past few seasons (before this last one) when Lacy was hurt and/or struggling.

Archived