Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kirk Cousins breaks his silence after Redskins trade for Alex Smith

TK

Bortles deal is interesting.  I am not sure I buy it but Andrew Brandt is pushing the idea that Kirk is not going to see the kind of mega contract people expect and the Bortles extension is not good news for Kirk.  One less player in the game and a contract that is significantly below what people are assuming a starting QB should be paid.  I get that Kirk is better than Blake but maybe this shows that teams are getting conservative about the big deals and Kirk may be looking at a deal more in line with the extension Smith just got to come here.

21 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

The Jacksonville deal is a bummer, they were my second place choice for Kirk.  I have been hoping it is going to be Minnesota but Jacksonville would have been a good landing spot also.  Now I want it to be Minnesota or Denver.  

What are you still doing here? It’s weird honestly. Are you looking for attention or what?

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, ya’ll are going to hate on him too once the honeymoon is over.

I won't hate Alex because I don't expect much from him.

We having a losing season this year and I would be saying that, even if Kirk was the QB.  Gruden finally gets the ax.

New coach in 2019. Alex has a good year and a playoff birth in 2019.

Maybe one more playoff birth before his tenure ends, the more likely; he begins to decline in 2020.

2021, the new savior is drafted.

The Jacksonville/Bortles deal, the Garrapolo deal could be signs. Then again we’re talking about multiple organizations with many different philsophies. Nothing has really happened yet. Things are heating up though. If Minnesota goes the same way as Jacksonville by signing Keenum or another discount QB, things will really start to turn. One things for sure. If I were in Cousins camp, I’d be a little nervous. It’s not a good sign that such a stacked team would rather not explore a “franchise QB” as an option. Kirk might get stuck negotiating with the Jets and the Browns by default. Minnesota is now the linchpin.

I have more thoughts on this, but I want see where this is going. McCartney may very well have overplayed his hand. This might be the most interesting off season ever.

1 hour ago, Birdlives said:

I have more thoughts on this, but I want see where this is going. McCartney may very well have overplayed his hand. This might be the most interesting off season ever.

I have said this too. I think Kirks agent has done exactly that. 

3 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Now I want it to be Minnesota or Denver.  

I'm sure Kirks been looking there all along. Unless he gets lured by money to the Jets. Surely not though, right.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I have said this too. I think Kirks agent has done exactly that. 

I'm sure Kirks been looking there all along. Unless he gets lured by money to the Jets. Surely not though, right.

I still thinks he's waiting to see what happens in Pittsburgh with Big Ben. If he retires or not. He made quite some hints in that direction.

7 hours ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Bortles deal is interesting.  I am not sure I buy it but Andrew Brandt is pushing the idea that Kirk is not going to see the kind of mega contract people expect and the Bortles extension is not good news for Kirk.  One less player in the game and a contract that is significantly below what people are assuming a starting QB should be paid.  I get that Kirk is better than Blake but maybe this shows that teams are getting conservative about the big deals and Kirk may be looking at a deal more in line with the extension Smith just got to come here.

The deal Bortles got is not exactly a huge commitment. It's a 3 year deal with 18M average and 26 guaranteed?

That's basically a 1 year prove it deal, which isn't good for a 25 years old QB. Expect them to draft a QB somewhere in the draft, and see if Bortles can prove them wrong. If not, he's out by next year.

Being fair, Bortles had not been that great these last two years and seemed to regress (or NFL D adjusted to him). There was talks about him being cut, talks of Kirk being a good move there, or Coughlin reuniting with Eli... He should feel lucky by now.

Kirk on the other side have been more than good these last 3 years with no running game and no defense. He'll be offered more and can easily aim for a Garoppollo kind of deal. A deal that was clearly insane for a guy that had what? 5 good games?

2 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I still thinks he's waiting to see what happens in Pittsburgh with Big Ben. If he retires or not. He made quite some hints in that direction.

The deal Bortles got is not exactly a huge commitment. It's a 3 year deal with 18M average and 26 guaranteed?

That's basically a 1 year prove it deal, which isn't good for a 25 years old QB. Expect them to draft a QB somewhere in the draft, and see if Bortles can prove them wrong. If not, he's out by next year.

Being fair, Bortles had not been that great these last two years and seemed to regress (or NFL D adjusted to him). There was talks about him being cut, talks of Kirk being a good move there, or Coughlin reuniting with Eli... He should feel lucky by now.

Kirk on the other side have been more than good these last 3 years with no running game and no defense. He'll be offered more and can easily aim for a Garoppollo kind of deal. A deal that was clearly insane for a guy that had what? 5 good games?

they already had Bortles on a one year prove it deal, his fifth year option.  And Rothlesberger has said he's not retiring.

Just because something would be best for Kirk Cousins doesn't make it true

My crystal ball says,

Kirk will be playing for (Jets), Browns, Bills or any team that has a lot of Cap space, or the team that the QB retired, Arizona, New Orleans if they move on and that is a long shot , that's it.  Teams that are so close to the big dance don't need him to brake there cap (Team).  Its the teams that are building that need him or starting over and have big cap. (the Dan Snyder Splash to pump up the fans, big money).  That counts out the Vikings they will go with 1 of the 3 QB's on roster now as long as the Cap space teams are bidding against them and I don't see Denver ever having a chance with The big Cap teams.  San Francisco paid big bucks for a QB because they could and are rebuilding and it did not upset the apple cart,( that would have been the best fit for Kirk).

Best fit now, (Jets) best of the rest and big money.

Next New Orleans only if they decided to go younger and replace a big contract with one.

Arizona they would have to do some big moves to get in the game.

Browns, don't think they will put in a bid, they want a couple year vet and draft a QB.

Bills only if they do a sign and trade with Redskins,  :)  I don't believe Kirk will have them at the top of his list but money has a way. 

Denver should draft their future QB and stay away from the Golden boy and cap hell.

Vikings, would be smart and stay the course, they are close. Best place for Kirk don't see it happening.  

San Francisco set the target price and I do not think Kirk will take less to play for the Vikings or Broncos... the Jets will be the best way to save ass and get his money.

3 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

It’s not a huge commitment, but it is a commitment nonetheless and one less destination for Cousins. It is interesting for sure to hear rumors of the Browns and Broncos wanting to trade for Smith, we actually traded for Smith, little Shanny took Garoppolo over waiting for Cousins, and now Jacksonville takes themselves out of the sweepstakes. Not sure what all of that means, but i’d be getting a little nervous if I were Cousins and McCartney. And who knows, maybe we aren’t idiots for not bending over and offering Cousins a record breaking deal?

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why do some of you act like you’re bouncers checking Redskins fan identification cards at the door?

It’s a Redskins forum for redskins fans. I don’t want to read about how excited someone is to follow Cousins out the door. That goes against my very beliefs of being a fan. 

The browns won’t be big on Cousins because they have their choice of guys in the draft ... even if not at no.1 and the also have gmsm working as a personel advisor . The jags are out the Vikings will go with one of their three ... most possible Keenum ... the broncos will need to make some moves to get Kirk on a reasonable deal ... and Big Ben always hints this year he is going to retire ... I think Kirk will be paid but it will. Be the Jets ... a team he has no ties with and is not set up to win ... and he will be savaged by the NY press ... should be fun 

29 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

It’s a Redskins forum for redskins fans. I don’t want to read about how excited someone is to follow Cousins out the door. That goes against my very beliefs of being a fan. 

I don’t want to read folks make up stuff to make themselves feel better about being Redskins fans, but here I am.  It’s a free world, hoss.  He’s not breaking any forum rules, get over it.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Why do some of you act like you’re bouncers checking Redskins fan identification cards at the door?

I have seen that too many times, guys with lists.... If you do this you'll be off my list....lol, Like it's just my opinion man. 

That said it will interesting to see if Kirk leaving, playing elsewhere has an effect. It sure feels as though more fans leaving as the boondoggles continue. 

2 minutes ago, SWFLSkins said:

That said it will interesting to see if Kirk leaving, playing elsewhere has an effect. It sure feels as though more fans leaving as the boondoggles continue. 

Most everyone I know is stuck with this franchise whether they want to be or not.  It’s too difficult to manufacture the same level of passion for another team.  Once you’re in this deep, you’re kind of stuck.  Although I will say that literally everytime I attend a game, season ticket holders near me, are almost always talking about giving them up.  I think it’s easier to give up on spending money on the team than it is switching fandom to another team.

because you make it harder to enjoy something I do like.  you're like fingernails on a chalkboard

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Most everyone I know is stuck with this franchise whether they want to be or not.  It’s too difficult to manufacture the same level of passion for another team.  Once you’re in this deep, you’re kind of stuck.  Although I will say that literally everytime I attend a game, season ticket holders near me, are almost always talking about giving them up.  I think it’s easier to give up on spending money on the team than it is switching fandom to another team.

Yup. I used to spend Money on Skins swag, or got Skins swag as gifts. No more. Just don't do it, and people who know me, know not to give me Skins gear anymore. I haven't spent money on the Redskins since two years ago....even skipped a preseason Tampa trip....would never have done that, and sad I did really.

My measured fandom cost me an opportunity to spend some time with Hap, We were supposed to get together for that game. That said, it was the fourth game of preseason, and I just could not justify spending money to go see MY team. 

I will never give them up, but they now come with measured expectations. Though I spend so much time talking or writing about them, I won't spend money on them.

Just now, carex said:

because you make it harder to enjoy something I do like.  you're like fingernails on a chalkboard

The truth is hard to digest and even harder to debate.  You make that abundantly clear on a regular basis.

There are still a few places online where you can find a Redskins circle jerk if that’s what you’re into.

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The truth is hard to digest and even harder to debate.  You make that abundantly clear on a regular basis.

There are still a few places online where you can find a Redskins circle jerk if that’s what you’re into.

you don't speak the truth and I haven't expected more from the Skins that around 8-8 for years so how much of a circle jerk do you really think I'm looking for

Archived