Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Home Security - What do you all use?

RonArtest15

4 minutes ago, DM72 said:

More than likely, all shun is going to do is make a bad situation worse.

I've got a kid in the house.  From 2005-2010, almost 3,800 people in the U.S. died from accidental shootings.  Odds are much better my house won't ever get broken into by someone with a gun.  And even in the astronomically rare chance that that happened, fine, take my TV; insurance will pay for it and I'll get a new and better one.  In fact, here are my ****ing car keys.  

9 minutes ago, tshile said:

yeah i got not desire to go through the house playing john wick

take my stuff, just leave my family alone. i'll wait till the cops show up.

So much this.  :) 

Get a dog (if you don't have one already).  Dogs > motion sensors.  :)  

19 hours ago, tshile said:

I've got the "I know someone is in the house" angle covered

It's the "someone's in the house and I don't know it" one that I have to solve for.

Considering a dog. Oddly, not sure it's the cheaper option...

Probably not a cheaper option but brings additional benefits/capabilities and it is more effective than any of the Home Security Companies.

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I've got a kid in the house.  From 2005-2010, almost 3,800 people in the U.S. died from accidental shootings.  Odds are much better my house won't ever get broken into by someone with a gun.  And even in the astronomically rare chance that that happened, fine, take my TV; insurance will pay for it and I'll get a new and better one.  In fact, here are my ****ing car keys.  

do you put your kid in cars?

8 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

kinda semi-serious question... I have a balcony on the upstairs that opens up to the great room below (it really isn't that great), but could I, in theory, drop a flash-bang grenade down there? Will it damage stuff?

Dropping a flash bang onto somebody already crazy enough to break into an occupied home would probably do more harm than good LOL.  Though indirectly, you're still engaging the bad guy.  Better to not engage at all if you don't have to.  

Though I'm not an expert.  :) 

43 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

kinda semi-serious question... I have a balcony on the upstairs that opens up to the great room below (it really isn't that great), but could I, in theory, drop a flash-bang grenade down there? Will it damage stuff?

Wouldn't a flying elbow work better?

macho_man_drop.gif

8 hours ago, youngchew said:

I wish more of my fellow Americans would open up to the idea of guns for home protection.  :(  

Some folks in this thread have mentioned they've got their hands, a bat, sword, crow bar, etc for home protection.  That's cute.  But against a tweaker with a gun who wants your television, you're gonna lose.

I'm all for hunkering down in the bedroom and allowing a crazy person to trash my house.  I'm not looking to be a hero, I will simply call the police and hide in the bedroom.  I don't fantasize about killing bad guys like many people with guns.  But if acrackhead breaks into a house while people are inside, how do you know he won't come into your bedroom?  I'd rather have a pump than a ****ing baseball bat.  

I forgot to mention that I got a 12 gauge pump and a 30-30 lever action in the bedroom closet.

3 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

yep.   

And the odds are even lower that even if the mythical armed crackhead breaks into your home, they will actually harm you, much less try to kill you.  Not unless you are James Bond.  

Americans are terrible at assessing relative risk.  We always have been.   I guess all human beings are.  But we really are.

2 hours ago, tshile said:

do you put your kid in cars?

Yes.  because it helps me get them to places they need to go.

(thats a terrible analogy, really, don't go there)

baths or pools is certainly better.

and whether ya leave them unsupervised around them.

Just now, Zguy28 said:

I forgot to mention that I got a 12 gauge pump and a 30-30 lever action in the bedroom closet.

For those days when the shoulders a bit stiff? :)

I like blades, but ya need different tools at times

24 minutes ago, Predicto said:

yep.   

And the odds are even lower that even if the mythical armed crackhead breaks into your home, they will actually harm you, much less try to kill you.  Not unless you are James Bond.  

Americans are terrible at assessing relative risk.  We always have been.   I guess all human beings are.  But we really are.

Yes.  because it helps me get them to places they need to go.

(thats a terrible analogy, really, don't go there)

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

I thought it went well with a meaningless statistic

Yup.  So scared of guns but no problem putting their kids in a car.  Oh, 3,000+ people died accidentally from a gun over 10 years or whatever?  Horrible!  Obviously shows a gun is a bad idea.  1,600 kids die EACH YEAR in car accidents?  Whatever.  Buckle up kids, we are driving to Disney!

I'm not saying everyone should keep a loaded gun out on their nightstand.  Get a fingerprint safe or something to keep it out of the hands of kids.  But if you are responsible, having a gun in the house isn't any more dangerous than other things kids are exposed to.

But go ahead and tell us about relative risk assessment.

Archived