Makaveli

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

 

 

My point was that Francis isn't a high level player with the ability to just sign wherever he pleases.  So I'm not following you on how he has so many choices or what the picture of him signing autographs as a Skin has to do with his assessment of Bruce.

 

He might not have the ability to sign " wherever he pleases ", but he certainly has the ability to sign with teams other than the one with the

" asshole GM " and the " racist logo " that he signed with four times.  

 

Edited by Spearfeather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

 

He might not have the ability to sign " wherever he pleases ", but he certainly has the ability to sign with teams other than the one with the

" asshole GM " and the " racist logo " that he signed with four times.  

 

Are you his agent?  Otherwise I find all that very hard to believe.  He's just not that good of a player.

 

I get that it appears he's got sour grapes.  But he's certainly not the first person to take a job, keep his mouth shut and then run his mouth when time's up. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Are you his agent?  Otherwise I find all that very hard to believe. 

 

Considering he's played with five other teams and found another one not long after he left here ... I don't.

 

Edit: And he's 28, not 34 for example.

Edited by Spearfeather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spearfeather said:

 

Considering he's played with five other teams and found another one not long after he left here ... I don't.

For a guy his age, bouncing around that much pretty much tells the entire story.  I find it very hard to believe that he keeps signing here because he thought Bruce and the gang were swell and only when they let him go the final time he decides to turn heel and call the guy an Ahole.  I'd imagine he kept signing here because it seemed like the best option to play out of the minimal options he had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Geez, there's no context for the "Bruce Allen is an asshole" comment so it could be about anything. Could be about negotiations or maybe something in the guy's contract that cost him money. Or maybe just the fact that he was let go (or not resigned, whichever)...an assistant coach could have told him that he wanted him to stay but it was Allen's decision to move on. Who the hell knows. I only doubt that Francis had many opportunities to interact with Allen to a degree that would allow him to assess his level of assholeness lol...unlike Scot, who probably sought out interactions with players on a regular basis outside of contract negotiations, Bruce seems far more distant. I remember when he first arrived here, one of the first things he implemented was to have Snyder's receptionist or assistant turn away any players who wanted to talk directly with the owner. I even think the player was given instruction to go down and talk to Allen instead. So yeah...no....I don't think Allen is a "player's GM". So I don't doubt that there are some who feel he's an asshole for one reason or another. I'm positive there are players who feel/felt Belichick is an asshole, but when you win as much as he does who gives a **** lol....you can't be an asshole and lose.

 

 

EDIT: and why is the word "asshole" not censored, but pea**** gets the ellipses treatment lol...

Edited by Califan007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not directed at Califan's post above.  I get his point that you can be an a-hole and still be good at what you do (don't think this point applies to Bruce but I agree with the general thought) and also agree that Francis is clearly embittered.  And also agree from from what we hear Bruce is somewhat aloof with the players.  Though the one practice I was at -- Bruce was watching it all closely and talked to some guys.  

 

Having said that, can't resist weighing in, :) considering some of Bruce's other critics -- I suspect that it is unlikely a wild misunderstanding taken out of context.  I am sure Francis meant it in the nicest way you can use the word.:)

 

Back to Califan, we are both familiar with Chris Russell's take on Bruce/Scot and the whole drill.  in that context, he thinks Scot needed to go.  But he also said according to people that he spoke to that Bruce can be quite the douche and isn't loved by all in that building.  Others have said similar things. 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just listening to Chris Russell who seems to be the hottest of late in terms of getting right as to what's going on in the FO.

 

And I loved what he just said.  He said from what he's heard of late, Bruce's power lately has been diminished behind the scenes -- though he says he still has plenty of power.  And he thinks Kyle could be the GM in waiting. 

 

If this is going on, wonder what has triggered this considering there doesn't seem to be much going on this off season -- maybe the new hires?  Occupied with the stadium?

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just listening to Chris Russell who seems to be the hottest of late in terms of getting right as to what's going on in the FO.

 

And I loved what he just said.  He said from what he's heard of late, Bruce's power lately has been diminished behind the scenes -- though he says he still has plenty of power.  And he thinks Kyle could be the GM in waiting. 

 

If this is going on, wonder what has triggered this considering there doesn't seem to be much going on this off season -- maybe the new hires?  Occupied with the stadium?

 

What you just summarized concisely in a paragraph that took me 10 seconds to read, I imagine took Russell several minutes, digressions, and likely a commercial break to spit out. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

What you just summarized concisely in a paragraph that took me 10 seconds to read, I imagine took Russell several minutes, digressions, and likely a commercial break to spit out. 

 

Typically that's true.  But he got it out pretty fast this time. :)  I noticed 106.7 is really going low key on Redskins coverage since the period where the Caps were in the postseason through now.   I presume they will pick up once camp starts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If this is going on, wonder what has triggered this considering there doesn't seem to be much going on this off season -- maybe the new hires?  Occupied with the stadium?

There were rumblings several months ago that the minority owners were not happy with Bruce Allen.  It's very possible they could be leaning on Dan about the way things are being ran and prompting moves to be made.  It's also possible that Dan actually is maturing and seeing the light - let's hope that's the case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There were rumblings several months ago that the minority owners were not happy with Bruce Allen.  It's very possible they could be leaning on Dan about the way things are being ran and prompting moves to be made.  It's also possible that Dan actually is maturing and seeing the light - let's hope that's the case.

 

In a way, this is unfortunate for Snyder. Granted, he is accountable for how his hires turn out (that's the price of running the show). But in his defense, he was trying to do the right thing when he brought Bruce Allen in. And, he's seemed to get out of the way and turn operations over to him. Rewind to 2009...that's EXACTLY what I was screaming for him to do: hire an established football exec and let the guy run the organization without interference and without a short leash. 

 

He just made an underwhelming, at best, hire. Hopefully when and if he brings in someone else to be that guy, he either lets some of the new folks help him pick or he hires some sort of consultant to assist in the search. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

 

In a way, this is unfortunate for Snyder. Granted, he is accountable for how his hires turn out (that's the price of running the show). But in his defense, he was trying to do the right thing when he brought Bruce Allen in. And, he's seemed to get out of the way and turn operations over to him. Rewind to 2009...that's EXACTLY what I was screaming for him to do: hire an established football exec and let the guy run the organization without interference and without a short leash. 

There is a reason it's out there that RG3 and McNabb were Dan's ideas that Bruce and Mike allowed to let fly.  So even though he appeared to have turned over a new leaf by hiring Bruce in 2009, it sounds like he hadn't fully learned the lesson that his football ideas suck and should just let the professionals work.  Perhaps he is totally out of the picture nowadays, but then again it's possible that Bruce takes the bullets for him.  I venture a guess though that the last straw for the minority owners was last offseasons combination of the Scot fiasco and the butt-fumble like handling of Kirk.  Dan really should have pulled the trigger at that time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There is a reason it's out there that RG3 and McNabb were Dan's ideas that Bruce and Mike allowed to let fly.  

 

I guess I forgot about those rumors, but that does ring a bell. That's what I get for trying to give that man the benefit of the doubt. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.