Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RV Bachelor Living (and the adventure of a lonesome Buzz)

TheGreatBuzz

So I intend this thread to be mostly about staying in an RV, issues and adventures that arise from it, how to keep yourself occupied, etc.  I’m not sure how many people here have an RV and live full time in it or at least use it a good bit but I figured a thread is a good way to find out.  I never stayed a single night in an RV up until a few months ago but am about to start this adventure and thought this would be a good place to share lessons learned and other knowledge.  But I’ll start it with some back story about what is making me start this thread. 

As most everyone knows, I’m in the military.  Well a few months back, I got orders to transfer up to Norfolk from Pensacola.  Because of deployment schedule, not wanting to rent our home, my wife’s job, and a number of other factors, my wife and I decided I would move to Norfolk alone for 3 years and she would stay in Pensacola.  I bought a new truck and a 40’ 5th wheel RV that will be my new home up there.  This morning I left my house for the next 3 years and am at my first stop for the night on the trip north.  I left not only my house but my home.  I left my wife, dogs, and everything I own (except the things I packed in the RV).   Obviously, with this being the first night of the adventure I’m a little down but I have faith I’ll settle in and it will all be fine.  I’ve dealt with far worse after all.  Outside of work, I am going to have a lot more free time so you all will probably see me posting here a lot more until I deploy.  I will do my best to not let the situation affect my normally jolly post demeanor.  I ask that for at least the next few days, please cut me a little slack and just let me know if I am being more of a jerk than normal.

My wife suggested I start a blog to lay out my adventure.  I have no clue how to start a blog and no desire to learn.  Besides, no one would read it besides her so that would defeat the point.  So I figured ES would be a good place to talk.

As far as living in an RV full time, well this is my first night so I don’t have a lot to say.  My auto-level doesn’t seem to work well.  I knew that after my first camping trip.  It just doesn’t seem to be worth the hassle to go get warranty work for it.  I can get it level in manual mode in about 3 minutes.  Other than that, I did a lot of reading so I feel like I have the basics down.  But I’m sure I will learn a lot and will share it here.  If you have anything to share, please do.  I’m pretty sure I don’t know what I don’t know.

As for things outside of the RV itself, I have always been an outdoorsy person and plan to continue that.  Of course, I hate the cold so starting out in VA in November will make that a challenge.  I plan on finding an animal rescue to volunteer with even though I won’t be able to foster.  I want to re-read all Tom Clancy books and actually do it in order this time.  I figure I can waste a solid month or so organizing the RV and figuring out what drawer I want the extra soap to be stored in.  I can’t start that yet though until I actually get to my final destination.  I tried to pick up golf a few years ago but that stopped when I dislocated my shoulder.  I may pick that back up.  I'm sure I'll slide in becoming a full blown alcoholic as a hobby.  I haven’t cooked for myself in about 9 years but I think I may try to learn to cook at a level above just sustaining myself.  Though I may be limited by the size of my kitchen.  And I worry that then when I get back in 3 years, my wife will then expect me to cook sometimes.  We’ll see. 

Anyways, that is my world right now.  Feel free to chime in if you feel so inclined.

Are you open to taking questions?  If you are, how hard is it to drive a RV?  I always wanted to take a RV trip but never drove anything larger than a Minivan.  Hope you stay safe, sane, and have fun (in no particular order).  And of course, thank you for your service.

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Are you open to taking questions?  If you are, how hard is it to drive a RV?  I always wanted to take a RV trip but never drove anything larger than a Minivan.  Hope you stay safe, sane, and have fun (in no particular order).  And of course, thank you for your service.

I got no problem taking questions.  In fact, I encourage it.  It gives me something to do.

I'm driving an F-350 and a 40 foot fifth wheel.  I've never tried driving a Class A RV or other single frame large vehicle.  I don't find it that difficult but I also have a lot of experience driving trucks with large trailers.  Since I was 16, I have done a lot of pulling car trailers, boats, and other trailers.  Someone with no experience would probably struggle with something so large but like so many other things in life, start small and work your way up.  I know a lot of places that sell/rent RV's will give you some training on driving them.

Good for you! I will be living in my camper until I find an apartment in Austin. Below is my rig.  Please post pics of yours when you get settled. 

It will get cold. Get yourself a ceramic heater since you will be plugged in at your campground. It's better than using up all of your LP gas. Save that for cooking. You might want to look into getting an induction rooftop so you can use electricity to cook. Again so you don't use your gas so much. 

Get a water pressure gauge to install between the campground water and your camper inlet. You can find these at Camping World on your way north. Also get a filter.  Order goes campground water outlet > water pressure gauge > filter > hose to camper.

Also get a power conditioner if you don't have one. They have portable ones and hardwired ones, mine is hardwired by my dealer before I picked it up. You probably need a 50amp one. They have those at Camping World too.

That's all I can think of now. I had friends help me out, still do. Campers are some of the friendliest people, don't hesitate to strike up conversations especially if you need some help!

I think you might find storage a challenge because small space. I have practically no storage, so am installing something to help with this.  And once you are parked and leveled, you will be good.

Camping World and Wal-Mart are your friends. Don't forget, Navy showers and 1 play toilet paper!

IMG_20150804_194518540_HDR.jpg

@LadySkinsFan

I'm going to go point by point here.

I'm nervous about a heater in here.  Most require a 3 foot clearance around the heater and there really isn't that big of an open space here.  I really would rather not burn down my new home.  Thoughts?  I have been teaching my self that pants, socks, and a hoodie should be done before turning up the heat though.

Water I think I am good on.  I got an inline filter to hook up outside and then a regulator before it comes into the RV.  I also bought a pitcher filter for my drinking water.  

I'm not familiar with a power conditioner.  I will have to research that.  I run 50 amp so I'm sure I will need that.

I have noticed that campers are pretty friendly so far.  Problem is I am not.  I fiend I stay inside more because people keep stopping to talk to me when I am outside.  I'm not much of a people person.

So far, storage is not an issue.  In fact I am wondering what I am going to put in all the empty space.  But at 24k pounds already I should probably not add too much crap.  I actually loaded up my storage space with firewood because I had room for it and the military pays me per pound for my move.

I'll try to add a picture in the next post.  I only know how to do it from my phone.

20171030_092517.jpg

45 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I actually loaded up my storage space with firewood because I had room for it and the military pays me per pound for my move.

Man when I PCS’d I brought along my brand new collection of old lead pipes for the same reason. 

Good grief thats a hell of a rig.  You have what, $150k tied up there?  Dumb question but wouldnt it have been cheaper to rent a condo for 3 years?

Where are you staying?  On base somewhere in an mwr campgeound?  Dam neck has spots available on the beach but im not sure about long term

My advice, do as much outside aa possible.  Get an outdoor camp sink from amazon, get an outdoor grill, etc.  Get a tv and mount it outside... the trick long term will be to spend as little time in the rv as possible.  Dont bother takjng a shower in your rv unless you absoltely have to.  Use the campgeound shower.  

We camp quite a bit but nothing like that... 25 foot bunkhouse

54 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm nervous about a heater in here.  Most require a 3 foot clearance around the heater and there really isn't that big of an open space here.  I really would rather not burn down my new home.  Thoughts?  I have been teaching my self that pants, socks, and a hoodie should be done before turning up the heat though.

Just get a few ceramic space heaters.  Youre not paying for electricity so why not.  For 50 dollars problem solved, never any worry about CO

23 minutes ago, zoony said:

Good grief thats a hell of a rig.  You have what, $150k tied up there?  Dumb question but wouldnt it have been cheaper to rent a condo for 3 years?

Where are you staying?  On base somewhere in an mwr campgeound?  Dam neck has spots available on the beach but im not sure about long term

My advice, do as much outside aa possible.  Get an outdoor camp sink from amazon, get an outdoor grill, etc.  Get a tv and mount it outside... the trick long term will be to spend as little time in the rv as possible.  Dont bother takjng a shower in your rv unless you absoltely have to.  Use the campgeound shower.  

We camp quite a bit but nothing like that... 25 foot bunkhouse

Just get a few ceramic space heaters.  Youre not paying for electricity so why not.  For 50 dollars problem solved, never any worry about CO

The truck I bought lightly used (it's a 2016 with 11k miles) that I spent ~$55k on.  The RV is a 2017 but I got an end of year deal so it cost me about $50k.  After trading in my last truck and selling my boat, I was only out about $30k (perks of being a DINK house).  I went with that over a condo because after renting for 3 years, what do I have to show for it?  At least with this, I'm partly paying my own bills, not someone else's.  I'm bouncing around for a little bit between military campgrounds but will be staying at Damn Neck long term starting in January.  I mounted a TV outside but I'm already finding the cold keeping me inside.   As for heaters, don't ceramic heaters have a space limit also?  I'm really worried about using one to close to something and burning the joint down.  **of course if I burn this one down I can buy the one I really wanted.  But that was closer to $100k and my accountant (aka wife) said no.

13 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The truck I bought lightly used (it's a 2016 with 11k miles) that I spent ~$55k on.  The RV is a 2017 but I got an end of year deal so it cost me about $50k.  After trading in my last truck and selling my boat, I was only out about $30k (perks of being a DINK house).  I went with that over a condo because after renting for 3 years, what do I have to show for it?  At least with this, I'm partly paying my own bills, not someone else's.  I'm bouncing around for a little bit between military campgrounds but will be staying at Damn Neck long term starting in January.  I mounted a TV outside but I'm already finding the cold keeping me inside.   As for heaters, don't ceramic heaters have a space limit also?  I'm really worried about using one to close to something and burning the joint down.  **of course if I burn this one down I can buy the one I really wanted.  But that was closer to $100k and my accountant (aka wife) said no.

Lived at dam neck for two years way back when.  Enjoy

Be careful of mice.  Lots and lots of mice around those parts, your rv is vulnerable.  Especially this time of year they will be looking for warm places to wait out the winter.

As for ceramic heaters i dont know... but we use them and never a problem.  I mean they have a plastic grill so how dangerous can they be?

5 minutes ago, zoony said:

Lived at dam neck for two years way back when.  Enjoy

Be careful of mice.  Lots and lots of mice around those parts, your rv is vulnerable.  Especially this time of year they will be looking for warm places to wait out the winter.

As for ceramic heaters i dont know... but we use them and never a problem.  I mean they have a plastic grill so how dangerous can they be?

Good point about the heaters.  As for the mice, I brought my .357 mag.  I love target practice.

(that was a joke.  I brought my .38)

(that was also a joke.  I can't have guns on base campgrounds.)

(Now THAT is a joke......but in a different sense.)

EDIT:  I've actually been thinking about what to do about mice, etc.  I was thinking about leaving a few small bowls of antifreeze around the rv.  Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Good point about the heaters.  As for the mice, I brought my .357 mag.  I love target practice.

(that was a joke.  I brought my .38)

(that was also a joke.  I can't have guns on base campgrounds.)

(Now THAT is a joke......but in a different sense.)

EDIT:  I've actually been thinking about what to do about mice, etc.  I was thinking about leaving a few small bowls of antifreeze around the rv.  Thoughts?

Dont do that.  Dogs and cats

Seal up cracks from underneath especially around wheel wells with this... contains pepper

https://www.amazon.com/GREAT-STUFF-Pestblock-Insulating-Sealant/dp/B007TUF0FY

Ive heard irish spring soap is a dterrent but not sure if myth... google it

Welcome to Norfolk, although it sounds like you'll be mostly staying out in Virginia Beach.  I don't know the Beach well, but I've been here in Norfolk for six years and I love it and hate it, depending on the day.  The traffic is horrible, the city floods frequently, the drivers are unbelievable morons who think this is a third world country, there is a bunch of petty and violent crime, the public schools aren't great, and there is a lot of incompetence and corruption in the city government.  It's intense for a small city.  And it's not necessarily easy on new residents.  There is a predatory atmosphere here that I don't really know how to describe, but it's unusual for a small city.  People aren't rude dickheads like in DC, but they aren't necessarily nice.  Always keep your head on a swivel when you drive and expect people to steal from you if you leave things out/unlocked.

But the plus side is that the city is super young and culturally vibrant and diverse and there is a ton of stuff to do.  The average age here is like 20 years younger than the rest of the state because of the Navy and the large university and college systems here.  Lots of bars, clubs, and concert venues.  It's not just all young people stuff here either.  For such a young and blue-collar region, there is a surprising amount of high brow culture here too--opera, ballet, symphony, all kinds of theater, an excellent art museum, an excellent botanical gardens, and lots of other museums and monuments plus all kinds of stuff like that in Portsmouth and Hampton and Williamsburg.  Excellent brewing culture.  There used to be a Johnson and Wales campus in Norfolk so the restaurant scene in South Hampton Roads is the best in the state outside the DC area.  West Norfolk is beautiful and there are tons of waterways and parks in the region.  There are also historical attractions and sites that are unique to southern tidewater Virginia.  That's always been really important to me, and it's probably my favorite thing about living here.  There is nowhere else in America where you can take a short drive to see something like the Jamestown settlement or Bacon's castle or tour working and well preserved antebellum plantations scattered all around the James.  It's powerful.

Anyway, good luck with getting settled in, and welcome.

For mice, you might want to get some peppermint extract and saturate some cloths and put that around areas too. 

I'll post a link to the power conditioner for you. I installed the Progressive Industries model. It's the best. The ones you attach can "walk away", so I bought the hardwired one installed inside, no worries and works great.

This is my unit, has a remote. They come in a 50amp model too. If you know about wiring this is the one to get. The page also details the portable ones. I got mine through Amazon and Camping World has them too I think.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw30c

Sounds like a great adventure, Buzz.  Good luck and peaceful living ahead.  Are you familiar with the Tidewater area?  Lots of history in the region, both Civil War and Revolutionary War related.  Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Mariner's Museum's repository of U.S.S. Monitor artifacts...

9 hours ago, zoony said:

Ive heard irish spring soap is a dterrent but not sure if myth... google it

Well it does keeps the women away.

7 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Sounds like a great adventure, Buzz.  Good luck and peaceful living ahead.  Are you familiar with the Tidewater area?  Lots of history in the region, both Civil War and Revolutionary War related.  Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown, Mariner's Museum's repository of U.S.S. Monitor artifacts...

We used to go to Williamsburg and such when I was a kid but that was probably 25 years ago.  I was in Yorktown for a 3 week school a few years ago amd saw a bit of the area but that is about it.  Never been to Norfolk/Va Beach area before though.

@stevemcqueen1 posted a pretty good list above of things I plan on checking out though.

Dan T is right about the amount of Civil War and Revolutionary War stuff in the region.  The Mariner's museum in Newport News is a fun trip.  It's pretty comprehensive.  The Nauticus Museum in downtown Norfolk is similar and also pretty good, it includes a tour of the battleship Wisconsin.

I'm familiar with the museums in Norfolk, Newport News, Williamsburg, and Portsmouth, but the Beach is kind of a blank spot in my mind.  I know that Pungo airfield is fairly close to Dam Neck and it has a really cool Military Aviation museum.  Their collection of WWI and WWII aircraft is impressive, including the only de Havilland Mosquito left in the world that still flies.  There is also the VA Air & Space center in Hampton.  I've never been there, but people seem to like it.

If you liked Yorktown, they just opened up a new Revolutionary War museum there that is fantastic.  If you go there, when you leave the Yorktown museum, do yourself a favor and get on the Colonial Parkway and take it to Jamestown or Williamsburg.  It hugs the James and it's beautiful.  Going to Yorktown and then driving down to Merchant's square in Colonial Williamsburg to eat and walk around is an awesome day.

If you're interested in seeing Jamestown, there are two sites--the Jamestown Settlement museum, and just down the road from that is Historic Jamestown, which is the actual archaeological dig site of the original settlement.  Both are worth seeing, but there is a lot there so it will take you a while to view it all.  You're not going to have to deal with crowds though.  Even during the peak of the summer it's not bad at any of these museums.

Another fun thing to do if you visit the Jamestown settlement is to take the Jamestown-Scotland ferry south across the James when you leave.  You'll end up just outside of Smithfield, a small town with some historical buildings to view.  Also nearby is a riverside hamlet named Rescue which has one of my favorite seafood restaurants in the region.

That's a lot of stuff, but there's also a lot more too.  If you're planning a day trip to some of these places, feel free to ask me for tips and advice about them.

As far as traffic and driving around goes, be advised that the weekday rush hour here starts at 3 PM and goes through 6.  I recommend familiarizing yourself with the interstates and ways to get across the James and Elizabeth rivers:

- I-64 connects Norfolk with the middle peninsula (Hampton, Newport News, Williamsburg, Richmond) and it crosses the James at the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel.  Beware the HRBT.  It is the most convenient way to cross the James when it's moving, but Eastbound traffic backs up 2-5 miles and Westbound traffic backs up 6-8 miles every morning and evening of every week day.

- I-664 is a North-South beltway that connects Newport News to Suffolk and eventually meets back up with the terminus of I-64 in Chesapeake.  It crosses the James at the Monitor-Merrimac bridge tunnel, which is often a Godsend alternate route to the HRBT. 

- I-464 is a useful North-South road that is lightly trafficked and connects downtown Norfolk to Chesapeake.  It crosses the Elizabeth at the High Rise Bridge where there is no toll. 

- I-264 is an East-West road that connects Suffolk to Portsmouth to Downtown Norfolk to downtown Virginia Beach.  It crosses the Elizabeth in downtown Portsmouth at the Downtown Tunnel, which has a toll.

- The other Elizabeth River crossings are the Jordan Bridge, Campostella Bridge, and Gilmerton Bridge.  The Jordan Bridge connects Portsmouth and South Norfolk/Chesapeake and it is tolled.  The Gilmerton connects Chesapeake with East Norfolk at Military Highway, which eventually runs all of the way to the incredible Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, connecting Norfolk to the Eastern shore.  That Bridge Tunnel is one of the longest in the world outside of Scandinavia and the toll is expensive, but the Gilmerton bridge itself is not tolled.  And finally Campostella connects East Norfolk with South Norfolk at highway 168--a useful road that begins at the Northern tip of Norfolk and runs all of the way to the beginning of the Outer Banks.

- The final road crossing the James is the James River Bridge which connects downtown Newport News with South Hampton Roads near Smithfield.  It's usually not as heavily trafficked as the HRBT and MMBT because nobody wants to have to drive all of the way out to Smithfield to take it if they're coming from Portsmouth or Chesapeake.

I know that's a lot to take in, but you're going to want to eventually learn all of the river crossings to save yourself a lot of pain.  The main tunnels back up during the rush hours, Monday-Saturday, without exception.  I-264, the road connecting VA Beach to Norfolk frequently backs up too.  I-64 is treacherous all of the way to Williamsburg.  It backs up at the Western end of Newport News and around Fort Eustis every day.

Also don't mess around with the tolls on the Elizabeth River crossings.  The company that manages the tolls are horrible human beings--literal modern day highwaymen--and everyone here hates them with passion.  And for good reason.  They take forever to process the tolls and then mail you bills with backdated deadlines that if you miss them, they will slam you with outrageous fees.  They mail them by plate registration, so if your vehicle is registered in Florida rather than to a mailing address here, I can guarantee you that it will be a pain in the ass to pay the invoices they send to your home back in Florida.  Get yourself an EZ Pass and pay the tolls that way.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

One more thing: watch out for Jaywalkers.  It sounds silly, but it's a problem here, particularly in Norfolk.  Remember how in Parks and Rec, the Pawnee natives had the inexplicable and disgusting habit of sticking their mouths directly over the spouts on water fountains? 

SOXhCeo.gif

Walking out into traffic is Norfolk's version of that.  We're stupid here and don't understand how roads work.  I wasn't exaggerating when I said people treat the roads like they're in a third world country.  I also wasn't exaggerating when I said the drivers here are the worst in the developed world.  I'm a defensive driver and I've been in four accidents in just over a year, none of which were my fault.  It's a cultural breakdown.

5 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I made a flag pole to attach to ladder on the back.  It will be flying a redskins flag though.

With a longer flag pole you could have the redskins flag AND  the lesbian flag. That might be an unusual combination on the back of a big pick up.

Thanks for all the info steve.  Question:  I plan on coming in tomorrow and will be staying at Langley for a few weeks.  I had planned on taking the route 17 bridge that i saw on google maps in an attempt to avoid as much city as possible.  Since you seem to know the area better than I do, does that sound like a good path?

Lesson learned for the day:  Make sure the campground you make a reservation at has cable.  Don't just assume.  Watching local tv here in BFE.

Archived