Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Kind of Fan Do You Consider Yourself?

Diehard Otis

Identify Your Fandom  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which Option Best Describes Your Fandom?

• I'm not a Redskins fan
    • My time as a fan of this team is all but over.
    • I've just about had it with The Skins, but I still root for them.
    • I used to be a bigger fan of the team. These days, I'm just here.
    • I cheer for several teams. The Redskins are one of them
    • When asked, I answer Redskins. That's about it.
    • I'm more of a fair weather fan.
    • My team is The Washington Redskins, period.
    • I stick by the team through thick and thin. I'll always support them.
    • I'm one of the core Diehards. This thing is for life!

This poll is closed to new votes

After reading and commenting on this thread about 'Broken Fanbases', I figured it was best if we define ourselves.  Apologies if this has been done before, but look; there are no actual games to chew over (or even a round of cuts, for that matter).  So this seemed like the opportune time to do it.  

For clarity's sake, I'm not asking when or how long you've been a fan...more to the point: what kinda fan do you consider yourself?  My previous opinion was that any individual that chose to post on a specific team's forum would naturally be a hardcore fan of that team.  Now after some time posting here more regularly (during The Season), I have begun to rethink that assumption.  Perhaps many posters here simply enjoy this particular forum (hell, I like it too), but aren't too crazy about the actual team.

Therefore, I also included a poll so we could all see where things stand here in the ES community.  With that said, let's get into it.

-------------------------------------------

I consider myself a Diehard Fan.  Always have been, always will be.  Yes, there are things/Coaches/Players/circumstances that have disappointed me in the past, but I love The Washington Redskins more than I do half the people in my life.  I know that's extreme(!), & I readily admit that it is - but in all honesty, that statement is 100% accurate.

Further, I am the kool-aid drinking, the-sun-will-come-out-tomorrow, we're-gonna-kick-ass-EVERY-year kind of fan.  My bias naturally skews Pro Redskins.  And believe it or not, I don't do it purposely.  That sentiment is actually a manifestation of my fanaticism with this team.  I know that because I am fans of teams in other sports, but I am far more objective/realistic of those teams' prospects than I am with our squad.

I suppose the best way to describe myself is as a Washington Redskins Fan that is a fan of teams in other sports.  That's who I am.

The poll options aren't good because the progression of options shows a bias as they are undoubtedly getting more desirable to the OP as they go. The wording could have been better, for a better scientific outcome here. It's clear that you think that the more of a "homer" one is, the more diehard or hardcore they are. That doesn't make sense at all. 

Me? Lifelong diehard, never see myself backing off. I know everything about the roster, the coaches, etc. I never miss a second of game or coverage, and have a zillion posts here. But also: I'm cynical, negative, easily frustrated, with low expectations due to my experience with the team over the years. It's an abusive relationship, really. It doesn't make me less of a diehard because I don't drink the koolaid like your type of fan. 

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The poll options aren't good because the progression of options shows a bias as they are undoubtedly getting more desirable to the OP as they go. The wording could have been better, for a better scientific outcome here. It's clear that you think that the more of a "homer" one is, the more diehard or hardcore they are. That doesn't make sense at all. 

Me? Lifelong diehard, never see myself backing off. I know everything about the roster, the coaches, etc. I never miss a second of game or coverage, and have a zillion posts here. But also: I'm cynical, negative, easily frustrated, with low expectations due to my experience with the team over the years. It's an abusive relationship, really. It doesn't make me less of a diehard because I don't drink the koolaid like your type of fan. 

The point is my friend, that I recognize that there are all types of fans (and I thought I admitted my biases up front).

Please forgive me for the flawed polling.  It is my intent to develop a thread whereby we may identify one another.

Lifelong diehard fan, ALWAYS predicting a anywhere from 12-4 to 16-0 ??? (yeah, fine, I have too much faith in the team...sue me :P )

had no choice but to be a fan when my dad started working with the team in 05 (left in summer of '11). Went to almost every home game. I was much younger back in the early years of my fanhood, so the losses used to hurt me so much, but then as I grew up, I realized it's just a game, no need to have it ruin my day/night. Doesn't make me a bad fan cause of that way of thinking.

when im away at college, I can't watch most of the games, so I follow the play by play on NFL.com. Yes, I go through all that just to be able to know how the games are going. 

I pretty much have my family plan our thanksgivings/christmases/New Years around the redskins games. 

I'm a Redskins fan through and through but I wouldn't put myself in the last category. I'm more of a fan out of civic attachment since they're the professional football team that represents my hometown. They're one of the few things Washingtonians can claim as their own since damn near everything else is the "federal" this or the "national" that.

I care if they win or lose but I don't follow their every move. 

I'm in the "I stick by the team through thick and thin. I'll always support them" category but also more of a silent fan now. I just enjoy reading skins talk on here but stay out of the discussions as things can get testy in the forums. I think I'm a partially broken fan but the Redskins in the only team for me. Otherwise the NFL is pointless.

1 hour ago, SamoaSkinz said:

I'm in the "I stick by the team through thick and thin. I'll always support them" category but also more of a silent fan now. I just enjoy reading skins talk on here but stay out of the discussions as things can get testy in the forums. I think I'm a partially broken fan but the Redskins in the only team for me. Otherwise the NFL is pointless.

You're from Somoa? How's that? Much different than the Virgin Islands I bet.

8 minutes ago, SamoaSkinz said:

I can relate to these words.  For years I would log on here and (mostly) lurk.  I also enjoyed the Redskins-centered football conversation, but was reluctant to comment regularly.  

And that's part of my point here SamoaSkinz.  I know that I personally lurked here for YEARS before posting - and I gradually posted more and more.  It's now to the point that among the regulars here, I'm sure I've built a 'profile' so to speak.  

Thing is, I fully understand that some folk just want to log on and holler 'Yaaaay Skins!  Great Win!'  While others might want to vent the 'this is terrible, we suck' sentiment.  I admit it; only in recent years have I come to understand that this is a forum for both personalities to coexist and comment.  The problems typically arise when each type ends up in the same thread!

But in my opinion, both voices are needed.  And so is yours.  I hope you decide to stick around.

I chose "My team is The Washington Redskins, period." because I do sometimes criticize them when warranted and have found stupid moves stupid. I guess I've stuck through them despite the Haynesworth signings and a number of obviously boneheaded thing. I'm sure I'm a lifelong die hard fan, but if that includes that I'll support them no matter what I can't completely go for it. I will support the team overall no matter what, but I don't support every draftpick, every playcall, every free agent signing. 

I don't really care to watch other teams now and I use to. I don't care about fantasy and I use to. I don't really care about the NFL and I use to.

I don't expect us to be good anymore, just mediocre and if we are good, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'll probably slow down even more soon. This board is the only reason I really even follow the team anymore.

I think I'm pretty hardcore considering I'm a UK fan who has never been to the States - I have watched every game live online since I picked the Skins as my team (About 7 or 8 years now) - haven't missed one. That doesn't sound all that impressive, but when you factor in the fact I'm a teacher and watching a MNF/TNF/Primetime game means I have to sleep in the evening for a few hours, get up around 1am due to time difference, and then stay awake all night and teach all day, I think it's a fair sign of commitment to the team.

I almost missed the Browns game last year because my partner went into labour about 16 hours before kick off.... fortunately she didn't need to go to hospital until after the game, so she sat there watching the game with me, whilst pretty deep into contractions etc... I was all geared up to have ESPN 980 on in the hospital though in a worst case scenario :rofl89:We have a memory book for my daughter that lists all her baby stuff like first steps etc, and it is even documented in there, as the last thing her Mum did before she had her (along with the score!!). Of all the nursery rhymes/baby songs etc, you should see her beaming little face when I start singing HTTR - definitely her favourite song - she can't talk yet, but she happily joins in babbling along - the B+G will run deep in this family.

I bought tickets to all 3 NFL games in the UK last year because it gave me access to choose the tickets I wanted a week or so before they went on general sale which meant I could guarantee good seats for the Skins.

I haven't put myself in the Diehard bracket because I haven't made a pilgrimage over to FedEx yet, but I think I do OK for a foreign fan in terms of "hardcore-ness"

37 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'll probably slow down even more soon. This board is the only reason I really even follow the team anymore.

This and the previously mentioned civic ties are the primary reasons why I'm still engaged with the team and NFL football as a whole.

29 minutes ago, UKskins said:

I think I'm pretty hardcore considering I'm a UK fan who has never been to the States - I have watched every game live online since I picked the Skins as my team (About 7 or 8 years now) - haven't missed one. That doesn't sound all that impressive, but when you factor in the fact I'm a teacher and watching a MNF/TNF/Primetime game means I have to sleep in the evening for a few hours, get up around 1am due to time difference, and then stay awake all night and teach all day, I think it's a fair sign of commitment to the team.

I almost missed the Browns game last year because my partner went into labour about 16 hours before kick off.... fortunately she didn't need to go to hospital until after the game, so she sat there watching the game with me, whilst pretty deep into contractions etc... I was all geared up to have ESPN 980 on in the hospital though in a worst case scenario :rofl89:We have a memory book for my daughter that lists all her baby stuff like first steps etc, and it is even documented in there, as the last thing her Mum did before she had her (along with the score!!). Of all the nursery rhymes/baby songs etc, you should see her beaming little face when I start singing HTTR - definitely her favourite song - she can't talk yet, but she happily joins in babbling along - the B+G will run deep in this family.

I bought tickets to all 3 NFL games in the UK last year because it gave me access to choose the tickets I wanted a week or so before they went on general sale which meant I could guarantee good seats for the Skins.

I haven't put myself in the Diehard bracket because I haven't made a pilgrimage over to FedEx yet, but I think I do OK for a foreign fan in terms of "hardcore-ness"

You make that trek, and it'll be my turn to.buy you a beer.

Archived