Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS: Florida man's drowning recorded by group of teens

Zguy28

15 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Everyone just freezes and ends up staring instead of helping.  Interesting thing about people that I just don't get.

Yet give them a little direction and they can work wonders in a group when it comes to life and death situations.

It's about the only thing that ever makes me think there might be something to the idea that (most) people are inherently good.

If you've never been a part of something like that, it's truly am amazing site to behold (after the fact, when things go reasonably well)

4 hours ago, twa said:

Not always, I was certainly a little sociopath.

This should be in present tense.

Just messing with you

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Anyways, then we started talking about how when I ran up, no one was doing anything.  He told me he sees that all the time.  People see an accident or whatever and don't know what to do.  Everyone just freezes and ends up staring instead of helping.  Interesting thing about people that I just don't get.

On a side note, my wife said it was a huge turn on watching me run up and take charge.  It was a good night.  :)

I remember that from crisis training, can't remember from where, maybe all the way back in high school. But they when you're a responder you look at someone directly in the eyes and tell them to call 911, because people tend to freeze up. Then you tell others also what to do in a very clear, direct manner. 

As we lament about kids being more apathetic, we shouldn't be at all surprised. I encourage everyone to read or listen to Trumps speech to Boy Scouts. It may blow your mind. How can we be surprised or appalled at how kids before when they hear this kind of speech at a Boy Scout Jamboree and their parents boo the name of Obama? This is where we are as a society. 

Any attempt to lay blame on any one thing (such as lack of moral teaching or bad parenting) is to simplistic of a view IMHO. It is certainly some of both of those, as well as probably lots of other factors. There is definitely a coldness or lack of compassion on display, but this really is nothing new under the sun. Some of the stories I've heard about "how it used to be" right here in Southern Maryland are pretty darn scary with the amount of meanness and hate and xenophobia. People have always been mean, even to the point of letting people die while laughing.

4 hours ago, Zguy28 said:

Any attempt to lay blame on any one thing (such as lack of moral teaching or bad parenting) is to simplistic of a view IMHO. It is certainly some of both of those, as well as probably lots of other factors. There is definitely a coldness or lack of compassion on display, but this really is nothing new under the sun. Some of the stories I've heard about "how it used to be" right here in Southern Maryland are pretty darn scary with the amount of meanness and hate and xenophobia. People have always been mean, even to the point of letting people die while laughing.

Maybe. I agree to a degree, this country has a long history of torturing other humans with a different skin color to death and having the audacity to pose for pictures with the corpse afterwards. Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that kind of behavior was taught to impressionable younger generations by the older, hateful generations. When you see youth stand by and watch a man they hold zero ill will towards drown to death, and laugh. Or the other incident where the 18 year old girl has a car crash,which killed her 14 year old sister, and she livestreams it on Instagram. Even going as far as to pose with her dead body. It seems different to me. 

17 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Maybe. I agree to a degree, this country has a long history of torturing other humans with a different skin color to death and having the audacity to pose for pictures with the corpse afterwards. Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that kind of behavior was taught to impressionable younger generations by the older, hateful generations. When you see youth stand by and watch a man they hold zero ill will towards drown to death, and laugh. Or the other incident where the 18 year old girl has a car crash,which killed her 14 year old sister, and she livestreams it on Instagram. Even going as far as to pose with her dead body. It seems different to me. 

i dont disagree with the general point- i only question the 'this country' part, as in, this is a trait unique to america as opposed to an ugly human trait found in every race, country, civilization, etc.

(and if i could kiss your ass a bit in the hopes that you wont take that too defensively, i generally agree with your post on the first page about recent generations growing up with no moral compass :) )

Just now, grego said:

i dont disagree with the general point- i only question the 'this country' part, as in, this is a trait unique to america as opposed to an ugly human trait found in every race, country, civilization, etc.

I'm not denying it hasn't happened in other parts of the world, and still happening today. I simply said 'this country' because this discussion began and has continued on an incident that happened here. 

25 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

Behavior isn't only taught by older generations or parents though. 

Don't ignore the crowd aspect. There's a group of these kids together which makes a big difference. The girl live-streaming her dead sister is a similar situation IMO from that crowd perspective. 

On 7/24/2017 at 7:04 PM, TryTheBeal! said:

Geez Grandpa.  There's always been bad kids and there's a ton of really great kids out here now, so let's not go overboard.

Yep, difference now is everyone has a camera in their pocket.  As much as I want to co-sign to wanning influence of Christianity in this country, where were was all that God Fearing in the south when they were burning/bombing churches and lynching people?

23 hours ago, grego said:

(and if i could kiss your ass a bit in the hopes that you wont take that too defensively, i generally agree with your post on the first page about recent generations growing up with no moral compass :) )

I think it's both. 

Many countries develop an "other" or a "them" that gets dehumanized to the point that atrocities can happen. In the very worst instances, it leads to genicide. 

That said, there is a sub-culture in the US which fits very much in this mode. They teach hatred and commit awful acts of violence. I do think it's important to acknowledge that as an aberrant part of the American character. It's a recessive gene, but definitely a disease that needs to be watched out for. 

I di reject that this is normal or just a fact if the human animal... if for no other reason than I like to sleep at night. 

Archived